Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Paullym

Newbie needing help (yet another one!)

Hi everyone

My post in the main beginners starts all thread seems to have got lost, so on the advice of Iceman, i've decided to start a new thread.

I've been interested in astronomy for years now, but after a trip to Girraween and a visit to a great guy there to see the observatory in his back garden, my interest has piqued. I've been doing lots of research, and looking into buying a telescope. Unfortunately this has confused me quite a bit.

After lots of careful consideration, and a few visits to York Optical in Brisbane, I've decided to go for a Skywatcher SW500. My urgency and the reason for the duplication in posts is that I want to get this in before the xmas break, so I can take it with me camping to a darksite!

My reason for posting is that I need a few questions answered. You folks seems very friendly and open to answering, so I thought this would be the best place...

So is my choice of scope is okay? i've found only the one review of it. Its nearly $700 so not a slight buy!

I take I don't need a motor to start things off, the York Optical people suggested I went down that route (with a SW135), but a bad review from this forum turned me off that idea...

As for a dob. I think portability of an EQ mount beats that. With our camping gear in there is not much room. Please feel free to contradict me, as dobs are certainly cheaper...

Also my other half is concerned that an expensive scope at a camp sight could get stolen from the car. Any thoughts?

Thanks for you time

Paul

Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Paul. You've come to the right place. I thought I'd get in early before the dob owners do (yes the dob would be a better option - more bang for the buck) but they do take up room when going camping that is for sure.

If all you are going to do is visual stuff then the SW500 will be ok. You won't really be able to image through it successfully though. However, properly aligned and with an RA motor and tuned up a bit, it makes a great little widefield imaging setup. Consider getting the RA motor anyway. I have the same mount the the RA motor makes life a lot easier.

Anther option as far as suppliers goes is Steve Massey at Myastroshop . BTW I use this motor for my eq3
Old 06-12-2007, 09:11 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Paul,
Don't feel rushed to make a decision. It's a lot of money to spend on something that may not suit.
For grab and go viewing I'd suggest a pair of 20x80 binoculars on a suitable heavy duty tripod. It would be easy to pack up each night if you're camping. I wouldn't advise leaving anything of value left outside when camping. Apart from inquisitive possums trying to climb up your tripod legs and knocking the setup over there is the chance of unscrupulous campers taking off with it. (Friends of mine had all their fishing gear knocked off while camping. While they were sitting not 4 metres away!!!)
Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Paul,

That scope will be a little beauty but don't get too carried away with its portability. When folded up the mount will be compact but it is much more work to fold than a camera tripod then that work has to be repeated to set it back up again, as well as aligning. If you are tenting then the scope will have to be locked in your car each day which will make it necessary for this process each time you use it, bet you don't do it for long.

Now for the dob pitch, you could get that scope and make a dob mount that folds up and use it in that mode while camping then mount it on the equatorial mount for more "serious" astro outings. Best of both worlds!!

Another option is a good set of binocs when camping and accept that high power observing will not fit in to the car with all the other gear. I use a set of 9x60s which can be hand held or mounted on a simple camera tripod.

Good hunting.......
Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Paullym

Talking Thanks for the info

Hi all,

Thanks for the response, more would certainly be appreciated.

I've looked at my astroshop and that's where I would buy this from, as its a good $40 cheaper than York Optical, even with delivery thrown in.

The idea of a fold up dob mount for it sounds like a great idea, and as you say would make it best of both worlds. Can you buy those or do you have to make it yourself? Certainly the idea of setting up does not appeal. I was going for the approach that I have to learn sometime, so doing it four nights running should have me an expert by the end!

As for the RA motor, I thought that would be a later buy, and I'll start out with just the mount for starters. Why do I get the feeling this hobby is going to comsume all my spare cash...

As for the binocs, York Optical threw a spanner in those works too, suggesting that I should not spend less than $250 for those! Given that's over half the price of an 8" Dob, I was back to confusion land!

Thanks for the info and the welcome, keep it coming in... I'll keep coming with the questions!

Cheers

Paul
Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Astronomy - spare cash. Sorry I don't understand. My impression was that the terms are mutually exclusive!

I have a pair of 20X80 that were only around $200 delivered (I think, it's been awhile). Mind you I spent that much again on a great tripod .....but it does double for photography They have gone up a bit now and are $219 but still great value http://www.aoe.com.au/aoe80.html
They also come in a handy semi-hard carry case. Comet 17P Holmes looked (and still looks) fantastic through them, as does Andromeda Galaxy, The Orion Nebula, Tuc 47 and Omega Centauri. The only down side is that the ol' arms get a bit tired . So I either use my tripod or just lie flat on the ground and look up at NGC253, NGC55 and yes I can make out the helix nebula with them as well.

Tempted?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:46 PM
coldspace

Talking about a fold down Dob, Iceman has a 10 inch meade truss lightbridge for sale in ice trade for $900 brand new in box this would be fairly portable and would leave your other options in the dust for viewing. Also have a look at the 6 inch scope and tripod in ice trade they want an offer you may pick up a bargain and then it is not to big an outlay for camping. I think it is listed by Maksutover.

Regards Matt.

Last edited by coldspace; 06-12-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM
StarLane
Futurist

For some extra cash, I would definately go the 10inch Lightbridge from Mike. You will be more pleased with it in the end. More portability than a tube dob. But, I have a 10inch Bintel tube dob and have no problem fitting it in the car with all my camping gear (Subaru Imprezza sedan with one side of the back seats folded down), guess it depends on the car. You will also save some cash with a Bintel dob. I believe the optics are the same as the LB, they are both Guan Sheng as far as I know.
If you are not looking at DSO's exclusively, maybe consider a small 80 to 100mm refractor on an EQ mount. Will save alot of space in the car and no need to collimate the optics everytime you set up after a long bumpy drive.