Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-10-2022, 12:39 PM
Startrek (Martin)

OSC to Mono in 2023

After starting with a Canon 600D DSLR back in 2017 , updating to a ZWO 2600MC OSC in 2020 , I’m thing about going the final step to Mono in 2023
With the last 12 months being the worst year for clear nights since I started 6 nearly years ago , the OSC to date has been ideal as consecutive clear nights in one week or clear nights over 2 weeks has been extremely rare.
Going Mono will be more of a works in progress type project for each object than a one or two night snap

Looking at buying the 2600MM to complement my existing 2600MC as the transition should be easy and suits my set ups ( Newts )

As far as filters go I researched so many over the past 3 or 4 months ( Optolong, Atik, Baader , Astronomik, ZWO , Chroma and Antlia ) on all forms of media , and have come to the conclusion that the Antlia LRGB Pro and 3nm Pro Ultra Narrowband are the best bang for the buck. I already use the Antlia Dual band ( Golden ) OSC filter which is superb.

From the all the research the Antlia LRGB and NB are suppose be parfocal which is a nice time saving feature as I’m not fully 100% automated ( set and forget until you wake up in the morning )

I’ve decided to opt for 2” filters unmounted ( with threads ) and a ZWO 2” x7 EFW for future proofing

The 2600MM speaks for itself so no need for any advice on this gem.

My imaging locations are at the opposite ends of the spectrum, Bortle 7/8 Sydney and Bortle 3 South Coast NSW

I’d like to get some feedback from folk who use the Antlia filters LRGB Pro and 3nm Pro Ultra NB

Thanks

Cheers

PS: I can afford Chroma but can’t justify the cost , I’d rather spend the money on travel or help the kids / grandkids in my retirement.
Old 14-10-2022, 02:24 PM
Stephane

Martin, I’ll be following this with great interest. Despite being new to the hobby still, I am very much interested in going mono with pretty much the same equipment as you except that I might get 36mm filters rather than 2”.

I am still weighing up options in regards to filter brands, so I am looking forward to hearing what other have to say on this.

Regards,
Stéphane
Old 15-10-2022, 09:17 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
Martin, I’ll be following this with great interest. Despite being new to the hobby still, I am very much interested in going mono with pretty much the same equipment as you except that I might get 36mm filters rather than 2”.

I am still weighing up options in regards to filter brands, so I am looking forward to hearing what other have to say on this.

Regards,
Stéphane
Thanks Stephane
Plenty of views but no comments
I’ve noticed in the past 6 months the fall off in active numbers participating and commenting in this forum, maybe to do with the weather and the economy , it has been the worst year I can recall
I’m sure someone out there has used the Antlia filters but just hasn’t seen the post yet

Going Mono is a significant transition and upgrade in dollars , skill and time and it’s prudent to do the research before jumping in the deep end. Having the OSC for a number of years will help

Clear Skies
Martin
Old 15-10-2022, 10:35 AM
RyanJones

Hi Martin,

If you have a look on Astrobin you can use the search bar to search for specific equipment.( I’m not sure if you have to be a member to do it but it’s worth while ). You can then do an objective assessment yourself. Look for halos and star size. Compare similar prices like Antila, atronomik and optolong and then compare it to the likes of Chroma and Astrodon and see if you’re willing to accept the difference because of the large differences in price. It’s all good and well to ask for peoples opinions that own these filters but remember, you wont get too many people that have spent thousands on a set of filters that will be willing to say they’re no good. Objective vs subjective.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 15-10-2022, 10:36 AM
PaulSthcoast (Paul)

Hi Martin

Stevo has an Antilla 3mn Ha filter for sale in the classifieds.

He is upgrading in size only.

Perhaps send him a PM to get some insight as
to how they perform ?

He is certainly in a high Bortle location.

Paul.
Old 15-10-2022, 11:06 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

+1 with below. 36mm is enough for the aps-c sensor on that camera
Old 15-10-2022, 01:46 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Hi Martin,

If you have a look on Astrobin you can use the search bar to search for specific equipment.( I’m not sure if you have to be a member to do it but it’s worth while ). You can then do an objective assessment yourself. Look for halos and star size. Compare similar prices like Antila, atronomik and optolong and then compare it to the likes of Chroma and Astrodon and see if you’re willing to accept the difference because of the large differences in price. It’s all good and well to ask for peoples opinions that own these filters but remember, you wont get too many people that have spent thousands on a set of filters that will be willing to say they’re no good. Objective vs subjective.

Cheers

Ryan
Thanks Ryan
I’ve looked on AB , Cloudy Nights , Stargazers lounge and so on ….
Read all the reviews etc…
I just thought some folk on our local forum use them and can offer their general thoughts and opinions.
I like to support our local forum by asking questions and getting thoughts , opinions etc….
Oh and offering advice too where applicable

Cheers
Martin
Old 15-10-2022, 01:50 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSthcoast View Post
Hi Martin

Stevo has an Antilla 3mn Ha filter for sale in the classifieds.

He is upgrading in size only.

Perhaps send him a PM to get some insight as
to how they perform ?

He is certainly in a high Bortle location.

Paul.
Thanks Paul
Hope your travelling ok
I was down at my holiday place for 2 weeks , it rained for 2 weeks , didn’t even open up the Dome
How’s your permanent set up going ?

Cheers
Martin
Old 15-10-2022, 01:54 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
+1 with below. 36mm is enough for the aps-c sensor on that camera
Thanks Chris
My 10” custom CF newt with the 2600MC/MM requires 33mm according to Astronomy Tools filter calc
Not willing to risk 3mm spare with the 36mm , so going for the 2” which allows me to go full frame in the future if I ever go down that path

Cheers
Martin
Old 15-10-2022, 10:25 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

At the outset, I should say that I can't offer a great deal by way of advice on those particular filters. I have a couple of sizes of ZWO IR filters, and a Baader moon / Skyglow which have all performed well.

However, like others, I am interested to read any other information. Starting out myself with a modded Canon 60D, and now the owner of a (as yet unused) ZWO 183MC Pro, I'm interested to get as much information about where I might end up in the future. From my little knowledge on the topic, it does seem like you've approached this in a methodical manner. I can only wish you luck.
Old 16-10-2022, 09:00 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater101 View Post
At the outset, I should say that I can't offer a great deal by way of advice on those particular filters. I have a couple of sizes of ZWO IR filters, and a Baader moon / Skyglow which have all performed well.

However, like others, I am interested to read any other information. Starting out myself with a modded Canon 60D, and now the owner of a (as yet unused) ZWO 183MC Pro, I'm interested to get as much information about where I might end up in the future. From my little knowledge on the topic, it does seem like you've approached this in a methodical manner. I can only wish you luck.
Thanks Warren
You will certainly enjoy the transition from DSLR to cooled OSC especially with the various Duoband filters now available for narrowband OSC imaging
Good luck with the 183MC
Cheers
Martin
Old 16-10-2022, 01:11 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Hey Martin,

I have the 36mm LRGB SHO 3nm Antlia Pros with a QHY filter wheel and a QHY290m. They are awesome filters.

They are all parfocal (i.e you can focus with the L filter and that will be in focus for all the other filters). Keep in mind my focal length is only 600mm (waiting for my observatory build prior to upgrading scope). I have no issues with focusing when switching between filters. I focus once and then never again for the night.

I would get the 36mm. With your larger sensor (I only have the 290mm pro) then you will only cry once .

Hope that helps,

Dilshan
Old 16-10-2022, 05:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilsh View Post
Hey Martin,

I have the 36mm LRGB SHO 3nm Antlia Pros with a QHY filter wheel and a QHY290m. They are awesome filters.

They are all parfocal (i.e you can focus with the L filter and that will be in focus for all the other filters). Keep in mind my focal length is only 600mm (waiting for my observatory build prior to upgrading scope). I have no issues with focusing when switching between filters. I focus once and then never again for the night.

I would get the 36mm. With your larger sensor (I only have the 290mm pro) then you will only cry once .

Hope that helps,

Dilshan
Hi Dishan,

Thanks for your comments, very much appreciated
The fact that they are all parfocal is great news , it’s going to save so much time during a session as I don’t auto focus with the EAF. I’ve never had an out of focus session in 6 years , maybe once or twice from memory. I rarely find my focus drifting during the night.
I image with 3 Newts and my 2600MC , 6” @ 900mm fl , 8” @ 1000mm fl and 10” @ 1280mm fl
I’ve done the calcs on the 10” and require 33mm filters ( 36mm would be ok ) but I’m going for 2” for future proofing

Thanks again

Martin
Old 16-10-2022, 09:48 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

No worries mate.

Best of luck with the new setup.

Dilshan
Old 17-10-2022, 12:29 AM
AdamJL

I've got that filter set on the same camera/setup as Dilshan

I will say that my OIII filter turned out to be a blue filter.. I had two blue filters!
It should be an easy thing to test... just shine a white light (torch) through each one to check the colour output.
Old 17-10-2022, 04:55 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have 36mm Astronomiks with my 2600MM and while there is vignetting visible in a stretched flat with my 10"F4, unstretched you would never see it and flats correct lights nicely. I have only ever run across a noticeable Oiii halo the once and that was on an extremely bright star. I can't comment about any cheaper or price comparable filters to the AStronomiks but the Chroma's and 'Dons would want to be pretty flash when you compare the money.

They are close enough to parfocal to live with the difference, at one point I had a clear and HA-Oiii with my 2600mC, focusing through the clear and they looked fine. There is a trend of focus difference visible between the filters but it was not much more than the variation you see focus run by focus run with the same filter. Focusing through the individual filters did produce measurably sharper results, subjectively there was not much in it.
Old 18-10-2022, 08:59 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I have 36mm Astronomiks with my 2600MM and while there is vignetting visible in a stretched flat with my 10"F4, unstretched you would never see it and flats correct lights nicely. I have only ever run across a noticeable Oiii halo the once and that was on an extremely bright star. I can't comment about any cheaper or price comparable filters to the AStronomiks but the Chroma's and 'Dons would want to be pretty flash when you compare the money.

They are close enough to parfocal to live with the difference, at one point I had a clear and HA-Oiii with my 2600mC, focusing through the clear and they looked fine. There is a trend of focus difference visible between the filters but it was not much more than the variation you see focus run by focus run with the same filter. Focusing through the individual filters did produce measurably sharper results, subjectively there was not much in it.
Paul,
Thanks for your input
Much appreciated
Looked at quite a few reviews and YouTube clips now with the Antlia filters , they all say Parfocal , which is great. Still favouring the 2” filters even though the 36mm would be ok I suppose
I originally looked at the Astronomik’s but the reviews for the Antlia are excellent and priced accordingly. Astrodons and now Chromas are ridiculously expensive.
Doing some forward planning too with my stacking software DSS, not bothered to use anything else , it just works. I have to work out how to stack and align the separate channels of both LRGB and NB when I capture data over multiple different nights and the camera is removed from the rig as I image from 2 different sites and rigs
I understand using a reference frame but I may have to use Groups like I do with my OSC data over multiple nights. I might post on the DSS forum and see if some folk have a few short cut methods which work.

Thanks again
Martin
Old 18-10-2022, 10:41 AM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Do you use pixinsight for post processing? If you do, I would highly recommend using wbpp in pixinsight. Makes stacking with multiple filters over multiple nights a breeze. I am very much a beginner but I have found it very useful for the few multinight imaging I have done.

Regards,

Dilshan
Old 18-10-2022, 01:20 PM
gregbradley

I have used Astronomik, Baader and Astrodon (current).

Astrodon are the best I have used.

Astronomik are very thin at 1mm and some filter wheels won't take them without a packer (extra cost). I don't recommend them because of that. I haven't quite forgiven Gerd for selling me a set without spacers knowing full well I would need them. He then came out with the spacers and wanted extra dollars for them.

Baader are not bad but blue and green could be separated more and they are not parfocal despite claims they are.

Astrodons are expensive but they are parfocal on my scopes and I usually use the luminance filter to focus and keep it at that for all the filters.
3nm filters though cost a fortune.

No experience with the other filter manufacturers you mention.

Greg.
Old 18-10-2022, 05:31 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I can't comment on older ones but my 36mm Astronomiks are mounted in an unthreaded cell, so the filter substrate thickness does not affect mounting them as such. There does not seem to be such a thing as "Unmounted" ones any more.