Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-09-2022, 09:11 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Asiair plus wifi extension

Hi all,
Looking for some advice, currently set up rig close enough to home to be able to use ASIAIR Plus and iPad nicely.
Problem is closeness to house affords limited view of sky.

I want to set up a roll on/off observatory at the back of my property.

Layout is (straight line)

Obs > 10m > Shed +Power > 8m > House

In order to use the ASIAIR app on my iPad in the house, I thought I might connect the ASIAIR Plus on the scope with an ethernet cable routed through conduit to a WiFi extender in the shed allowing me to control the setup in the home.

Is this a workable setup or do IISers use other methods.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Cheers
Doug
Old 28-09-2022, 07:39 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

That should certainly work.

I have an external pier with Ethernet which plugs directly into the home LAN and that is even better as I can access it via the PC using Bluestacks (which needs the IP address), or via phone and tablet using the home wifi.

The beauty of using the home wifi via the LAN is that you keep your internet alive on your portable devices, and ethernet cable is very cheap!
Old 28-09-2022, 08:48 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post

I have an external pier with Ethernet which plugs directly into the home LAN and that is even better as I can access it via the PC using Bluestacks (which needs the IP address), or via phone and tablet using the home wifi.

The beauty of using the home wifi via the LAN is that you keep your internet alive on your portable devices, and ethernet cable is very cheap!

Thanks for the reply - been concentrating so much on the logistics that I hadn't even considered being able to access the scope via PC (Mac in my case)

Doug
Old 29-09-2022, 12:05 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post

As a variation on this method, I plan to try using EoP (ethernet over power) adapters since I have a power source close to my obs and can get ethernet effectively right at the mount. I hope to avoid having to run ethernet cables back to my router - one of the reasons I went down the ASiair Plus route in the first place.

What I can’t yet figure out is how I can access the AAP over the LAN.