Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Radio Emission in NGC 253

Not new news but news to me, as I found after imaging NGC 253 and looking it up , discovered by Christine Herschel in the 18thC and the subject of research in Australia lately by Dr Anna Kapinska . There really is some amazing things happening out in WA in all kinds of fields.

https://www.icrar.org/starburst/

Astronomers have used a radio telescope in outback Western Australia to see the halo of a nearby starburst galaxy in unprecedented detail.

A starburst galaxy is a galaxy experiencing a period of intense star formation and this one, known as NGC 253 or the Sculptor Galaxy, is approximately 11.5 million light-years from Earth.

“The Sculptor Galaxy is currently forming stars at a rate of five solar masses each year, which is a many times faster than our own Milky Way,” said lead researcher Dr Anna Kapinska, from The University of Western Australia and the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) in Perth.
Old 29-10-2019, 08:59 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Not new news but news to me, as I found after imaging NGC 253 and looking it up , discovered by Christine Herschel in the 18thC and the subject of research in Australia lately by Dr Anna Kapinska . There really is some amazing things happening out in WA in all kinds of fields.

https://www.icrar.org/starburst/

Astronomers have used a radio telescope in outback Western Australia to see the halo of a nearby starburst galaxy in unprecedented detail.

A starburst galaxy is a galaxy experiencing a period of intense star formation and this one, known as NGC 253 or the Sculptor Galaxy, is approximately 11.5 million light-years from Earth.

“The Sculptor Galaxy is currently forming stars at a rate of five solar masses each year, which is a many times faster than our own Milky Way,” said lead researcher Dr Anna Kapinska, from The University of Western Australia and the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) in Perth.
Thanks for that
Minor quible,it's "Catherine" Herschel
My favourite galaxy,and my favourite female astronomer.
Cheers
Old 29-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks for that correction Ron. Much appreciated. Should never rely on my aging memory. I have written it variously as Christine , Caroline. Remarkable family those Herschel.