Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Observing groups North of Melbourne

I have been thinking of posting this up for some time now.

Are there any observing groups (Informal ones) who meet to the North of Melbourne? I am an ASV member and do intend to make some use of the dark sky site operated by them, but there are times when it would be nice to just go somewhere reasonably local and set up with some like minded folk (Basically just visual observers for pleasure)

I live near Kilmore, anyone nearby? (Say within about 20 minutes drive of Kilmore in any direction)

I have not been able to set up very often in ages due to weather and work and unfortunately when I do, we also still do suffer from some skyglow from Melbourne and on active nights, the most horrid blue glow from the local race track, so getting a little away from Kilmore would be nice. I also live on a busy road with a curve in it so I am regularly swept by headlights when observing!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Oh well, I guess after a week I can assume I have my answer. Hopefully the warmer weather later in the year might bring some people out of the woodwork to observe with.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 PM
alistairsam

Hi,
i'd be interested in observing groups as well. I have a friend who lives in wallan, and skies are pretty dark out there.
guess, we just have to wait for better weather and clearer skies.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I think from Wallan, the skies would really benefit from the extra ten minutes drive out as far as Kilmore. Putting Mount Pretty Sally between yourself and Melbourne would probably make a fair bit of difference to light levels.

I might revive this thread when the weather starts to warm up and see what happens.
Old 13-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Orionrules (James)

Hi everyone,
I live in Donvale and would like like to know whether there are any like minded souls nearby who would like to do some observing together every now and then? I am very new to the stuff and has just taken up the hobby after being forced into temporary, pre-mature retirement.

Old 28-07-2011, 01:29 AM
byronpaul (Paul)

I'd be interested in local gatherings ..... but would need it planned in advanced due to time restrictions. Often this doesn't correspond to good weather though which makes it difficult.
Old 29-07-2011, 09:46 AM
peterbat (Peter)
still so much to learn!

I'd be interested in attending some local gatherings as well...
There used to be the occasional night up at John's Hill, but I don't think anything has happened there for quite a while now.

Peter
Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Had to look up where that is!

I keep being depressed, I go out and look up and the sky is mud. Have a quick look up before going to bed and it looks fantastic, have had the scope out once in the last month.

I think I will return to my last comment and revive this thread when the weather is nicer and see what happens.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 PM
peterbat (Peter)
still so much to learn!

I've got to the point where I'm rereading the manual, to make sure I haven't forgotten how to align the scope.

Peter