Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Fiscal unsynchronised ebb and flow

Being a man of relatively simple means, I have to save like the dickens for astro gear. Please tell me, when I am relatively flush with readies (as in tax return time), the level of available advertised gear in the classifieds is at an all time low. What will now happen, is that I will divert the funds to some other item (probably not needed). Having said that, no sooner will that occur, then the item I have been saving for will pop up in multiples at bargain prices!
Old 23-07-2017, 05:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Put the money aside and wait...and wait...a bargain will come along so make sure you are in a position to act...don't dip into to pay the car rego etc...set it aside..
Alex
Old 24-07-2017, 12:05 PM
blink138 (Pat)

hi rod try putting an ad in the wanted section for the gear you want?
pat
Old 24-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
Being a man of relatively simple means, I have to save like the dickens for astro gear. Please tell me, when I am relatively flush with readies (as in tax return time), the level of available advertised gear in the classifieds is at an all time low. What will now happen, is that I will divert the funds to some other item (probably not needed). Having said that, no sooner will that occur, then the item I have been saving for will pop up in multiples at bargain prices!
Hi Boozlefoot,

That sounds like a classic case of the fiscal application of Sod’s Law - one of the most powerful and irresistible forces in the universe.

Although it’s probably just due to the fact that when everybody else gets a tax return too then they don’t need to raise money by selling stuff. For a while…. Timing is everything...

Sadly, the only known cure is some version of the method Alex recommends - learning the knack of hanging on to sums of money. Call it “retaining some working capital” if you like.

Changing lifelong patterns of behaviour is alway very hard but there are some tricks that can help. A friend of ours who wanted to give up smoking set it up so that the cost of failing would be higher than he was willing to pay! He wrote out a large donation cheque to an organisation whose ideas and practices he absolutely loathed. He put it in an envelope, addressed it and put a stamp on it, and then gave it to his partner with the instructions that if they saw him with a cigarette again they should immediately post the letter - with no questions asked. He never smoked again, and eventually they tore the letter up.

A major asset in the quest to hang onto a stash of cash is a knack for budgeting. Some kind of record keeping - spreadsheets, etc are a great tool, but somebody who is enthusiastic about using those tools can explain them to somebody who doesn’t like them until they’re both blue in the face and it’s unlikely to make a damn’s worth of difference - they still won’t do it.

Luckily, I’m pretty good at budgeting and hanging on to some working capital, so… just post me the all cash from your next tax return and I’ll only ever let you have half of it back to spend. And I’ll want a plausible excuse too. And then I won’t let you you have any more until you’ve saved back the amount you just spent.

Trust me? Of course you can…. I’m some nice guy on the internet who you’ve never met…. What could possibly go wrong?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 25-07-2017, 11:44 AM
jecarr
jecarr

Equipment dearth

Hi Boozlefoot - the comparative dearth of equipment offered for sale could be due to the restriction by IceinSpace that sellers have to have made 5 posts before submitting an ad:- but thank you for giving me the opportunity of sending this post as preparation for passing that hurdle so as to advertise at least two fine pieces of astronomical engineering - and good luck with your purchase-project.
Old 25-07-2017, 11:52 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecarr View Post
Hi Boozlefoot - the comparative dearth of equipment offered for sale could be due to the restriction by IceinSpace that sellers have to have made 5 posts before submitting an ad:- but thank you for giving me the opportunity of sending this post as preparation for passing that hurdle so as to advertise at least two fine pieces of astronomical engineering - and good luck with your purchase-project.
Let me help by asking a question so you can reply an build your post count.

Why have you posted so few posts given your length of membership.
Alex
Old 26-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

I appreciate the replies given, however, if you knew me well you would realise the imperative to purchase while funds are at hand.
Cash simply slips through my fingers like "quicksilver" (probably whilst its called that!) I think its more a case of Chris's application of Sod's Law. and also very similar to the remarkable ability of wet and cloudy weather to emerge the moment new equipment is unpacked and ready for its first trot. I think its simply time to own up to the fact I have too much gear and in reality don't need any more. But its a sickness, I must have it! Maybe i should collect salt and pepper shakers........nah!
Old 26-07-2017, 06:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Rod what are you after I have stuff that I don't want and it will be cheap.
What is your wish list.
I may even trade dead musical instruments.
Alex