Old 26-09-2007, 08:24 PM
little col
gosh i love imaging

help on image stacking dso's

bit confused on this one.
when taking exposures of different ratings for core and surrounding nebulosity details.
do you stack all images together in dss
or do you stack all the iso200 together
then stack all the iso800 together etc.etc
then layer them in cs2

many thanks in advance for the help on this one
Old 26-09-2007, 08:43 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Col, when I did an image that way, I stacked identically timed exposures as individual images, then took them into EasyHDR to get the High Dynamic Range effect. Works great, although it's not the best HDR program available.
But it is free
Old 26-09-2007, 08:44 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I'll defer to someone who has actually done the comparison and worked out which way is best, but I reckon you could do either... but...

Hmmm... thinking about it a bit more...

If you plan to stack them but average them in DSS then just stacking them in DSS would be fine. However, usually DSO images are added to bring out the faint bits... so if you add your 200ASA and 800ASA images, the burned out highlights in the 800ASA images will burn out the final image.

So I would suggest, stacking your images by exposure in DSS then HDR processing in PS. But hopefully one of the DSO gurus will jump in here with some proven advice!

Al.
Old 26-09-2007, 10:51 PM
little col
gosh i love imaging

i'll give that a whirl next time and group the iso exposures together in the stacks
it still will be interesting to hear other views or methods also
Old 26-09-2007, 11:25 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Here is an image of Orion Neb I did in EasyHDR to show the Trap (usually burnt out) in the centre of the Neb.

It is made up by stacking same exposures, then all the different exposures layered in EasyHDR. You can do the same in PhotoShop if you want to.

But it shows how it works by stacking the matching exposures together first. Then layering all the different stacked images into a High Dynamic Range image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Orion HDR final 1.jpg)
96.7 KB49 views
Old 27-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Harpspitfire

thats cool advice- i gotta try stacking the different ISO exposures in groups next time instead of throwing the whole batch into DSS
Old 28-09-2007, 05:26 PM
little col
gosh i love imaging

thanks for the advice and the image sample
Old 28-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Doug

Just to confuse the issue out of sight: You can stack / align all your images but do not combine the different exposure sets. Keep your aligned sets of images separate and process them. Then you can feed them into the HDR program of your choice. Once you combine different sets of images you have lost the individual data belonging to those sets. Not sure how to avoid combining image sets in DSS (I don't use it), but I think it should be possible to align without a combine operation, as with other processing software.
Old 29-09-2007, 05:50 PM
little col
gosh i love imaging

thanks for the info doug , may i ask which software you use for stacking yourself as i have been using dss for a bit now but unsure if its the best stacking program?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Doug

Sorry for the delay.
I use Maxdslr. I think in general all stack (able) programs do the job. It just depends on what works with your temperament best. With MaxDslr, I can align a group of images and finish up with the same number; ie. no stacking. This is useful when dealing with several different exposure groups. If you search IIS for TV libra animation, you will see where aligning without stacking is a distinct benefit. Had I stacked (combined) all 15 images, there would be no animation possible, yet if I did not align, them then there would be more animation than wanted. I wished merely to differentiate between aligning and stacking. MaxDslr can do either, DSS, I have no idea as I said I do not use it. To do what you want, you need to align, all images then stack each exposure group.
HTH,
Doug
Old 04-10-2007, 06:38 PM
little col
gosh i love imaging

cheers doug i will do a search on it , thanks for your time explaining the stacki ng and aligning difference , my aim is to get a better quality image with detail throughout and you have helped me understand how to go about it
thanbks again