#1  
Old 07-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 256
M16 Eagle Nebula

From Sept 18 with WO GT102 and ZWO ASI071MC Pro camera; just 20x60 S lights and 10 darks, at -19. Tracked, not guided. I ruined a perfect polar alignment by tightening the altitude screw after PA...Duh.hence the obvious elongation of the stars. No flattener. Just an exciting first night out!

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Autosave copy EAGLE 32 bit Autocolour copy CROPPED JPEG Resize for IIS.jpg)
222.3 KB87 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2020, 07:45 AM
PKay's Avatar
PKay (Peter)
Registered User

PKay is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: DEPOT BEACH
Posts: 915
Having fun is the main thing Richard!

I have spent many hours (we all have) trying to get things working.

Any result is worthwhile.

Well done!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2020, 07:52 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Having fun is the main thing Richard!

I have spent many hours (we all have) trying to get things working.

Any result is worthwhile.

Well done!
Thanks for the encouraging words, Peter. I am a slow, bumbling learner! Will persist, however.

Cheers,
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2020, 05:27 PM
Robert_T's Avatar
Robert_T
Registered User

Robert_T is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,684
stars look pretty round to me, but perhaps my experience level is low with this new digital stuff... back in the film days those would have been outstanding :-) amazing detail for just 20min! I have the ASI071MC on order myself so will be interested to see how it goes. I have a much smaller sensored camera at the moment which is more forgiving on back-focus field curvature etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
stars look pretty round to me, but perhaps my experience level is low with this new digital stuff... back in the film days those would have been outstanding :-) amazing detail for just 20min! I have the ASI071MC on order myself so will be interested to see how it goes. I have a much smaller sensored camera at the moment which is more forgiving on back-focus field curvature etc.
Thanks, Robert. When you get your ASI071MC, don't forget to turn the dew heater on through whatever software you are using. I discovered, through Sky X Pro, that my heater was set to 0 (OFF) instead of 1 (ON), although the manufacturer's instructions clearly imply the reverse! (I had this clarified by ZWO).

Cheers,
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2020, 03:19 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)
Registered User

jahnpahwa is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Canberra, AUS
Posts: 420
what a nice result for first night out! For any night out, really. I think the colour you have there is really nice indeed, and the pillars are very nicely defined

It looks as though the stars are looking pretty neat on the RHS of the image? Is this a crop? It may have been more the lack of flattener than lack of PA precision if you've cropped out some more field on the right there?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2020, 05:16 PM
Robert_T's Avatar
Robert_T
Registered User

Robert_T is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Thanks, Robert. When you get your ASI071MC, don't forget to turn the dew heater on through whatever software you are using. I discovered, through Sky X Pro, that my heater was set to 0 (OFF) instead of 1 (ON), although the manufacturer's instructions clearly imply the reverse! (I had this clarified by ZWO).

Cheers,
Richard
thanks for the tip Richard. It's meant to arrive tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15-10-2020, 05:40 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
what a nice result for first night out! For any night out, really. I think the colour you have there is really nice indeed, and the pillars are very nicely defined

It looks as though the stars are looking pretty neat on the RHS of the image? Is this a crop? It may have been more the lack of flattener than lack of PA precision if you've cropped out some more field on the right there?
Thanks, JP. I do have a massive flattener/reducer for my WO GT 102- it's the WO APO Reducer/Flattener 8 (US $698). It just sits there in its box unused. I think it's too much for a 102mm scope (even though I was assured by WO that it was made for this scope and larger models). So, all my images are without a flattener at all! I am worried about flexure in the optical train because the flattener is so heavy (1kg).

I will have a much longer crack at M16 soon!

Cheers,
Richard
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement