Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2023, 11:51 AM
dabbeldi

Australian Sky and Telescope

Hi,

does anybody else have problems renewing a subscription with Australian Sky and Telescope? The renewal page does not give me any options to select one or two year subscriptions. I've contacted them but have not heard back yet.

Thanks
Daniel
Old 07-06-2023, 01:31 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Ring their number (02)94391955. I recently called them to change my address and was informed that they will be going digital as the cost of producing the magazine was becoming prohibitive, not sure when this will happen but sometime soon.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:02 PM
dabbeldi

Yes, I had called them and left a message.
That would be a shame if they won't do a hard copy anymore. Always enjoyed reading it.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:11 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbeldi View Post
That would be a shame if they won't do a hard copy anymore. Always enjoyed reading it.

Agreed. It's always easier to sit down with a magazine and a cup of tea than have a laptop or PC in front of you.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:17 AM
leon

Agreed, I do still like a hard copy of things, magazines or photos, what ever it may be. but than i am from the old school so to speak.

I heard that Andrew.

Leon
Old 08-06-2023, 06:20 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post

I heard that Andrew.

Leon
Old 08-06-2023, 04:57 PM
dabbeldi

Ok, they just confirmed it in writing. It will be digital only from the July issue.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:41 PM
raymo

You're from a relatively recent school Leon; I'm from the old school.
raymo
Old 09-06-2023, 03:06 PM
dabbeldi

Yes, I really like hard copies and I'm 46, so not that old... We are still getting the newspaper as well. Just feels great to get the eye off the phone or computer screen every now and then.
AS&T was great to fall asleep to at night!
Old 09-06-2023, 03:13 PM
raymo

I really enjoy my S&T, surely they could have raised the price by a dollar or two; I would still have bought it. I won't be getting the digital version, so that
will be the end of S&T for me. I also get a newspaper most days.
raymo
Old 09-06-2023, 03:39 PM
dabbeldi

Might be worth telling them, I certainly did!
They might reconsider if sales fall significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I really enjoy my S&T, surely they could have raised the price by a dollar or two; I would still have bought it. I won't be getting the digital version, so that
raymo
Old 09-06-2023, 04:02 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I'm much the same. When my subscription runs out, I won't be renewing unless they stay with a print magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
raymo
Old 10-06-2023, 08:53 AM
Spleenus (Darren)

This is a shame, I did notice the last print copy was $2 more. But without any notice, how are people going to know who don't look online and just head to the shop to get their copy?
Old 10-06-2023, 10:28 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I only recently renewed my subscription to the magazine and there was no mention of it going digital only, which begs the question, how quickly was the decision made to cancel the print edition . Though I'm not surprised, it would be "nice" to have been informed of this change, still have about 8 issues left and am now wondering when and how I will receive future issues. Presumably they will be sent to my email as are a few other magazines that I subscribe to. Still waiting for the "current" July issue to arrive, by whatever means. I will definitely miss the feel of holding the magazine in my hands.

Last edited by Saturnine; 10-06-2023 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add text
Old 11-06-2023, 09:12 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater101 View Post
I'm much the same. When my subscription runs out, I won't be renewing unless they stay with a print magazine.
What a shame. A "magazine" without a print edition reminds me of a Pythonesque cheese shop that doesn't actually have any cheese.

Thankfully the US edition (much of which is copied and pasted by the Oz version) is still being printed and arrives reasonably on time via post.

That said, I'll miss the higher quality print and paper quality of the local rendition.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:39 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

I'm disappointed as well.
I would be happy to pay a bit more for the printed magazine. I look forward to the new one each month or two.

Will try the July edition and see what it's like.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:46 AM
dikman (Richard)

There are sites where you can download magazines for free () and I admit to downloading some but I don't like reading them on a computer. I even bought a laptop where the keyboard folds back so it becomes a large tablet but it just isn't comfortable reading magazines. Funnily enough I have read books using this laptop but it just doesn't seem to work the same with magazines.

We have the newspaper delivered and the deal included free access to the digital version - never used it! Accessing forums, youtube etc is fine, after all they are made for computer access, but to me magazines just don't work.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:50 PM
Nab (Darren)

Really disappointing. I thought their decision to go back to the old publishing schedule of 8 issues was odd as well.. better to have fewer but better content and higher sales you would think. Through 2020 to this year's April issue I have been buying the magazine more regularly than the previous 5 years.. but with IceinSpace and Cloudy Nights I have my fill of online astro content!!

Darren.
Old 14-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

The 1st digital edition turned up in my email today, which I'm happy about. There is an explanation from the publisher and editor as to the reasons of the demise of the printed edition. Totally understandable decision given the circumstances but I'll miss the printed magazine.
Will still be a good read regardless of the format, though a couple of double page images are not side by side but above each other as the download is in a vertical format. Is there a way to change the presentation to horizontal .

Last edited by Saturnine; 14-06-2023 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add text
Old 14-06-2023, 05:13 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
The 1st digital edition turned up in my email today, which I'm happy about. There is an explanation from the publisher and editor as to the reasons of the demise of the printed edition. Totally understandable decision given the circumstances but I'll miss the printed magazine.
Will still be a good read regardless of the format, though a couple of double page images are not side by side but above each other as the download is in a vertical format. Is there a way to change the presentation to horizontal .
I use Adobe Acrobat Pro, View-Page Display-Two Page View-Show Cover Page in Two Page View.

The email from AS&T also said :

"As a way of saying thank you for your continued support we’ve added two additional issues to the end of your subscription".