Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-08-2023, 06:52 AM
porthacking (Scott)

Newbie difficulty with PHD2 set up

Hi All,

I am finally trying to get everything setup properly.

I have a WO RedCat51 with an ASI 183MC-Pro as my imaging camera and a WO Uniguide with an ASI 120MM-mini as my guide camera.

I have installed all of the ascom drivers etc for the cameras. I am using NINA with PHD2 for guiding.

I am trying to run the PHD2 New Profile Wizard and it asks me to select the camera. The drop-down list includes:
- ASI Camera 1 (ASCOM)
- ASI Camera 2 (ASCOM)
- ZWO ASI Camera

Regardless of which one I select, it sets the pixel size at 2.4um, which I believe is the pixel size for the imaging camera (183MC-Pro), not the guide camera (120MM-mini).

The only way I seem to be able to get PHD2 to select the guide camera, is if the imagine camera is unplugged.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

Scott
Old 24-08-2023, 08:10 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I had the same issue years ago, although I run PHD2 autonomously not through my navigation software ( EQMOD and Stellarium) or my capture software ( APT ) I have less issues running PHD2 by itself ( only my dither commands are set in APT )

This is how I resolved it via the PHD2 Forum ( I recommend you join the forum for future assistance)

…..PHD2 Equipment Profiles and Camera Drivers

When setting up new Profiles make sure you use the same USB port on the same Laptop each time ( no matter which location your imaging from )
This also applies to USB3 powered Hubs as well , same USB port cable camera configuration

Important !!!
When setting up Profiles for new ZWO guide cameras using Native ZWO driver , you must physically disconnect main imaging camera from capture software ( eg APT disconnect camera button ) and unplug from hub or port , otherwise PHD2 just defaults to that camera as a guide camera during set up and enters the wrong camera pixel size etc...
Once new guide camera is set up in the wizard including dark library and you have checked the camera settings in the PHD2 Camera tab , you must close PHD2. Now open your capture software (eg APT ) and connect your main imaging camera to Ascom Camera (1). Reopen PHD2 then select your guide camera Profile , choose the correct camera via the little green black arrow button , then press Connect. Your new Profile and it’s nominated guide camera will be connected.
You can set up multiple Profiles using the ZWO native driver ZWO ASI Camera , but it must be set up in the above sequence and configuration !!!!

ZWO provide the following drivers -

Native ZWO driver ( Available for any number of cameras ) ZWO ASI Camera

Ascom driver ( Available for 2 cameras only , ASI Camera (1) and ASI Camera (2) )

Set up each Profile using the Wizard
Ensure you create a Dark Library 1sec to 3sec exposures ( 10 darks each ) is adequate

When you are using multiple guide cameras on different mounts create a new Profile for each camera and use the native driver ZWO ASI Camera in the drop down
ASI Camera (1) driver will be used for your Main Imaging camera in your Capture Software ( eg APT )

Make sure in your capture software (eg APT ) when you launch the Ascom Camera Chooser , you must select ASI Camera (1) from the drop down
( Check Properties to confirm it’s your main imaging camera )
ASI Camera (2) could be one of your PHD2 Guide cameras

Finally when your ready to image , select your guide camera profile in PHD2 ( connect Equipment Window ) make sure you choose the correct camera using the black green arrow button and Connect

Hope the above helps
Cheers
Martin

PS : Attached some pdfs I put together ( mainly for myself but also to help others )
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PHD2 Guiding Procedures.pdf (150.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf PHD2 Equipment Profiles and Camera Drivers.pdf (55.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Startrek; 24-08-2023 at 08:28 AM.