Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Moonman (Michael)
Caveman Astronomy

Lunar Obs

Greetings All

Anyone who has a bend for lunar observation drop me a line. I am a wrank beginner with a very basic reflector which really seems to only get a good view of the moon and some planetary observation. Speaking of which I travelled to just outside of Longford (Tas) some time ago to sucessfully find Mercury and had the good fortune to observe it setting over the Western Tiers. Ripping stuff I'm sure for all of you but I just pleased to have set out on a specific observational task and to actually be sucessfull was quite exciting.

Anyway the scope is quite OK for Lunar obs. and as I have no plans at this stage to get further equipment I am quite content to start here for the time being.

Regards
Moonman
Old 06-03-2005, 11:20 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

The moon has lots of features that are worth having a look at. There is the straight wall, hadleys rille, numerous craters (some that are best seen at different times of the cycle), mountains also to be seen. Some interesting stuff around the terminator when mountains appear out of pure black. Some times also glints of the sun can be seen for the briefest of moments. My suggestion is to get a good Lunar atlas and go cruising. Plenty to keep you busy for lots of years.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Moonman (Michael)
Caveman Astronomy

Smile Thanks

Dear Paul,

I will remember your saying when I attempt to operate my telescope.

Regards
Moonman
Old 07-03-2005, 06:32 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Moonman.

to the forum! How did you hear about us?

You don't need a big expensive scope to observe the moon. It's a great target for any telescope and it's your perseverance and passion that matter more.

You should try Steve Massey's new book, "Exploring the Moon". It's only $20 and is a good reference for what to look out for during each part of the lunar cycle.

Hope to see you back regularly, and bring some friends too!
There's a few other tasweigans on the forum, maybe you could hunt them down and hook up? Have a look through their bigger scopes and get aperture fever
Old 07-03-2005, 08:54 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Moonman,

Welcome to the madness

You are in for a great time with the moon its a great target. Get the book that Mike suggested, it has heaps of info and will keep you going for quite a while. The moon is a wonderful target and is often forgotten by many as they get locked into stars and DSOs but keep going, its the only astronomical target you can really get detail on.

Keep looking up.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:27 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hiya moonman, welcome to the best Oz astronomy forum you'll ever find. helpful ppl, great range of interests and personality types, and most importantly it's very active... hope this place stays active

as much as i dis the moon for making all the DSOs disappear I like looking at it (with or without a telescope). I am still quite amazed when I look up to see this huge lump of rock floating in the air and I feel quite the voyeur when checking out the lunar landscape at high powers... does anyone else get this sense of voyeurism when looking at the moon
Old 07-03-2005, 01:43 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Ahhhh, no. Only with the houses across the back paddocks!
Old 07-03-2005, 08:48 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

Welcome Moonman,
Love the moon, very soon l am going to start photographing the moon with a view to creating my own map with individual detailed photos, l have only just started astrophotography myself so this will be a long long learning curve with lots of questions thrown at the other members of our site.
Stick with the local neighborhood for a while Moonman there's plenty to see.
Have fun Mick.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Moonman (Michael)
Caveman Astronomy

Thanks Guy's

I'd be out looking at it right now except the damn thing hasn't come up.

It's great to be hooked up online. I'll let you all know how i'm going. Got a resonable gander at Jupiter yesterday evening about 12.oo midnight. Sae the four moons and the two main cloud belts. Fabulous.

Thanks All
Moonman