Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Running Dew heaters from Power Jack on HEQ5

Hi guys,

I recently installed a new power plug on my HEQ5Pro. The 2.5mm DC Barrel Jack was a bit dicky and would lose power during slewing sometimes.

Now its a screw on 2 pin Microphone Jack with the wires soldered directly to the back of the PCB. Same as the install on this page -

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/1...ble-managment/

My question is, rather than having to run a seperate power cable for my dew heaters, do you think I could just hook into the 12v power through the now unused DC Barrel Jack on the mount?

My dew heaters are Kendricks to suit 3-4 inch optics and use the Kendrick Controller. Can't remember which size exactly. my Unit supplies power to 2 straps, one for imaging scope and 1 for the guide scope.

After some research I found some current draw numbers to use - https://www.bintel.com.au/product/ke...v=6cc98ba2045f

So current draw at max should be 1 - 2 amps. I normally run at 25-30%. Although I am going to astrofest this weekend so very well may need to run them a bit higher due to the cooler weather.

I'm assuming my idea will work fine, but I don't want that extra current draw to hurt anything on the PCB. I don't recall seeing any voltage regulators etc that could be blown out by the extra current and given the wiring is basically in parrallel with the supply I think it will be fine

Just trying to reduce the amount of cabling and tidy the setup a bit.

P.S. - I know I said the jack was dicky so why would I use it? Due to my setup the power cable for my dew heaters can bascially be "glued" into that socket. and given the dew heater controller is mounted on to the ra axis it will move with the jack and shouldn't cause the same issues I had previously with movement.