Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-06-2014, 09:48 AM
absolut (Rob)

Hey guys and welcome Scott!

Haven't posted for a bit - work has been insane.

I've arranged for 2 days off from work for the June new moon (26/27), fingers crossed the weather will be good. I'll be heading up on the 26th (Thurs) and should be there until the Sunday morning.

Everyone is welcome to join in!

Rob
Old 14-06-2014, 10:27 AM
glend (Glen)

Rob, I'll say I'm a chance if I can re-arrange a few things. Hope for clearing weather as well. I see there maybe a Pony Club evening around then as well.

Last edited by glend; 14-06-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 23-06-2014, 09:16 AM
absolut (Rob)

Hey!

I've checked the forecast and it is looking pretty good for Bretti this week!

I'll be heading up Thurs and returning either late Sat or early Sunday..

All are welcome!

Clear skies!

Rob
Old 23-06-2014, 09:51 AM
glend (Glen)

Well Rob, given that the Pony Club is a no-go for next Saturday maybe we can get a group together for Bretti. What say ye folks?

I might need Jakob's help to sort out my autoguiding if he's available.

Arthur when can I get that Dew Controller?
Old 25-06-2014, 06:29 PM
mathewb

Hi all,

I'm wondering, how noob friendly are the Bretti observing nights?

Cheers,
Matt.
Old 25-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Arthur Alchin (Arthur Alchin)
Honey based Meade

Home viewing night

Can't do Bretti for just one night as I get home from work 1800 Friday night so will be having a home viewing night in the driveway with warm food, wine and spirits. Will just have to do it hard this time.

Definitely doing Bretti August 25 th
Old 25-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Allan

Matt, the Bretti camps are very friendly and we enjoy having as many people there as possible. The sky there is very dark, great for hunting faint stuff. Will be an easy drive from Branxton.

Guys, I am half way through my training so have a few days off over the weekend. I will keep an eye out here to check if there are still some takers this weekend. I might come up Saturday afternoon for a quick session and head home Sunday morning.
Old 26-06-2014, 09:37 AM
absolut (Rob)

Hey guys!

I'd sit somewhere on a scale of 1 to total n00b, and I'm friendly enough!

The weather for the 4 days is looking amazing!

Feel free to come along and join in!

I'm just about to start packing the car, so I'll hit the road by 10:30am. Plan to stop for supplies along the way.

I'll be setting up camp in the usual place.

Clear skies!!

PS: Allan, does that mean Bundy will get a day out too?..
Old 26-06-2014, 06:46 PM
glend (Glen)

I can't make it this week and will have to make do with some imaging practice from home. Have a great time Rob, Allen, and who ever else can get there.
Old 28-06-2014, 08:12 PM
absolut (Rob)

A debrief as it were...

Thursday night was great - atmosphere was a little wibbly-wobbly, but nearly zero dew and mild temps... met a nice couple camped next door, gave them a bit of a sky tour last night - lots of "ooooo" and "aaahhhh" so I'll take that as a job well done!

Friday night was interesting - dew that would have rated on the Lostock scale, but, just for a curve ball - temperature dropped fast - there was frozen dew on the tents by 10:30pm! Full ground cover frost kicked in a little later.
I managed to get some nice viewing in though. Had to call it around 11pm though, battery was hammered from the cold.

Saturday started well enough, but the wind picked up and was very gusty by lunch time, I started packing when I saw the approaching storm. The rain that followed wasn't very nice. I made my escape about 2pm.

Clear skies all, and the August crew better bring extra thermals, I have a feeling it is going to be a cold one!!

Rob
Old 29-06-2014, 04:31 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Rob,
I am glad you got some good viewing in.
Good on you for braving the cold.
I have to admit to being tempted to join you, but having just returned from a week in Melbourne, my body was not ready for another cold few nights, just yet.
Hope to catch up again soon!
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolut View Post
A debrief as it were...

Thursday night was great - atmosphere was a little wibbly-wobbly, but nearly zero dew and mild temps... met a nice couple camped next door, gave them a bit of a sky tour last night - lots of "ooooo" and "aaahhhh" so I'll take that as a job well done!

Friday night was interesting - dew that would have rated on the Lostock scale, but, just for a curve ball - temperature dropped fast - there was frozen dew on the tents by 10:30pm! Full ground cover frost kicked in a little later.
I managed to get some nice viewing in though. Had to call it around 11pm though, battery was hammered from the cold.

Saturday started well enough, but the wind picked up and was very gusty by lunch time, I started packing when I saw the approaching storm. The rain that followed wasn't very nice. I made my escape about 2pm.

Clear skies all, and the August crew better bring extra thermals, I have a feeling it is going to be a cold one!!

Rob
Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM
DENMONKEY (Brett)

Thanks to Allan I have a new mount and would love the opportunity for a nice dark sky to test it on/in/under.
Like Matt though I'm still on my Ls and would love to pop along if there is someone heading up and don't mind passing on some knowledge.
I do love my camping.
I don't have any dew heaters and by the sounds of it they would need to be source before heading up.

Matt, maybe let me know if you're planning on a trip and we can noob it up together.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Brett I don't know about this month but there is definitely a group heading up to Bretti for the August New Moon week. Speaking to Arthur A last Sunday he indicate he wants to go for most of the week (having booked the time off). The August New Moon is on Tuesday the 26th but for us it's pretty much irrelevant as the remnants will be rising during the morning and setting around dark. So any time from Sunday the 24th onward is good.

Also Arthur A is making Dew Heater Controllers at a very attractive price so send him a private message if interested ($35 is hard to beat).
Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 PM
DENMONKEY (Brett)

Cheers Glend,

already hit up Arthur for one and will knock up my own straps.
August is sounding great. I'm off for the first portion of the week I believe, so at the very least may be able to make it up for the weekend and head back monday.
Heck, its even close enough for a day trip to say hi.
I'll keep an eye on the thread as it gets closer.
Old 15-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Honey based Meade

Getting closer

Yep Brett, just waiting for the parts to arrive amd will be finished well before Bretti weekend.

I plan on arriving on the Monday all being good, really need the break. Will be sussing out some hot showers in either caravan parks or pubs for the first few days till Geoffro ( Inmykombi) arrives with his turbo max propane driven electron accelerator water heater, wow what a beast ��

Addition: have just increased the cell heater capacity on my 16" to 90 watts, still below the capacity of the single unit. Just have to get some 3mm vidaflex sheathing to cover the nichrome with,
Old 19-07-2014, 10:32 AM
glend (Glen)

Just bumping this up to remind people of the August New Moon long camp at Bretti for anyone wanting to join us there that week. I think the maximum number I have seen there would be 12, so let's see if we can get more people involved this time. Stay tuned.
Old 19-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Just bumping this up to remind people of the August New Moon long camp at Bretti for anyone wanting to join us there that week. I think the maximum number I have seen there would be 12, so let's see if we can get more people involved this time. Stay tuned.
Just to re-iterate, there is enough flat, open, space for several hundred of you. and it is totally Free. Just bring your own everything.
Old 21-07-2014, 11:22 AM
glend (Glen)

Just Five Weeks to Go - End of Winter Camp

There are only five weeks till the Bretti August New Moon (aka 'End of Winter') Dark Site Camping Trip. By the end of August it will be starting to warm up so maybe the nights won't be so cold but dew heaters are probably a good idea, or at least fans for the mirror guys. Arthur A is planning to spend the whole week at Bretti and I think I will be there for most of it as well, so come up as you can as there are sure to be others there.

As per Allan L's advice, you will need to bring drinking water, but the river water can be used for showers and washing. There are drop toilets on the site, and rubbish bins. You will need to bring your own power equipment, although for charging there are usually a couple of generators that IIS members bring along.

Details on Bretti Reserve can be found here:

http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=605

or Google it and check out all the info published.

This is a very good dark site, which regularly returns Sky Quality Meter readings in excess of 21.7

Hope to see you there.

Last edited by glend; 21-07-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 22-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Honey based Meade

For Brett

Just waiting for the arrival od the box and will get the controller finished, hopefully will arrive this week or next at the lastest
Old 25-07-2014, 04:20 AM
Honey based Meade

4 weeks

Yes four weeks to this winter extravaganza. Put it in the diaries guys, maybe one night there, maybe more, it's all your choice, me I'm going to sacrifice a week of my life to go there, what punishment 😄😄