Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 03:09 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyStyles
he did a demonstration on how to use the laser aligning the primary mirror from the adjustable knobs from the laser window. Other than thats about it. hmm should i go back tomorrow and return the laser?
I must say I am somewhat disappointed about this. I expected a little better from Bintel... This last step of the collimation (aligning the primary) is the easiest step and you don't need a laser for that. In fact, a laser is not as reliable as the simpler collimating eyepiece (even if it's one you make yourself from an old film canister). I take it you did not take your scope along to the shop.

The hard part is the secondary, but it does not need doing often. First you have to position it so it's centred when viewed through the focuser. This can be fiddly and a bit nerve-wrecking if you have not done it before. Then you have to align the secondary so it directs the optical path from the focuser onto the centre of the secondary. This is the step where a laser can be useful, but it is not needed. This too is a little fiddly, but not too bad. Just do it incrementally in small steps. It's not like the primary where there are springs that will pick up the slack so you can just keep turning the adjustment screws.

I hoped the Bintel people would have taken you through all this. Like I said, I don't know Graham, but Roger or Anthony should be able to guide you through the whole process from start to finish, and knowing Roger, he would be more than happy to help out and have you go home with your scope well-collimated. (You might have to wait depending how busy they are, of course. A customer already in there looking to buy a $5000 Goto scope will naturally have priority over someone who needs help with collimation and maybe a sub-$100 item, which is fair enough.)

Whether you want to return the laser or not is up to you. I see it as a beginner's item, perhaps less intimidating than a simpler passive tool, but ultimately it's a waste of money. I doubt it is accurate enough for your very fast mirror. This is what I'd get instead: Orion collimating eyepiece: https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=5508

BTW: I have the laser, the long collimating EP (like the Orion one) and a short collimating EP. I started with the laser, but now only use the long coll. EP. If the laser itself lasts it's worth having as a backup, though. (it didn't in mine, but for you at least the shop is closeby and they can fix it if it seizes up.)

Here is something to try: Collimate with laser. Take it out of the focuser rotate it some. Put it back in, retighten in focuser. See if it still tells the same story. Do this several times to see how reliable it is.

There is a more advanced method using lasers, called the "barlowed laser" method. Roger knows all about that too. (That guy really seems to know just about everything about scopes.)

Good and easy to follow instructions on collimation are at the Sky & Telescope website.

Good luck & tell us how it all goes.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Hammerman
Director of Lint Pickers

Sky & Telescope magazine had an article in one of thier 2002 issues about a cheshire being more accurate than a laser, especially for the final steps of collimation. I have both an Orion Lasermate and an Orion Cheshire. I hardly use the laser any more as I've found out through trial and error that the magazine article was right.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:51 PM
barees63

Quote:
If the laser itself lasts it's worth having as a backup, though
Just so you know, the laser units inside the most common laser collimators are replaceable for approx $2, they are exactly the same as the $2 keyring lasers.. I replaced the (dodgy) laser in my GSO collimator with one of these.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:50 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Yes I know. I replaced mine with a $2 junk shop one. That's on its last leg now too and I don't think it's the batteries (but maybe). It is a real pain to replace and collimate the laser in these things. You are looking at several hours of fiddle time. And you might still wreck the new laser with too much pressure from the collimation screws. I just can't be bothered doing it yet again. Maybe I'll try new batteries but if that doesn't do it I'll just let it RIP.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

The laser does have a use , and that is for final aligning of the secondary.
If the laser dot falls in the middle of the primary donut, you know that your focal plane will be exactly at right angles to the focuser axis.

Any error in secondary placement after this will be in terms of how off centre the illuminated field is.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Someone here was recommending high quality laser collimators not so long ago. Maybe it was ausastronomer John?? Called something like "EZ" collimator?? I thought Bintel had them, but all they have on their website now is the cheapo Chinese unit that everyone else has.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:43 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barees63
FWIW, here's a link to the simplest possible jig for collimating a laser collimator: http://home.earthlink.net/~celstark/id14.html
Nah, too many nails!

This is my rig - A vice and a 1.25 to 2 inch adapter. Simple as. Takes moments to align (depending on how far I have to walk to plot the poles ).

At the end of the day, the only true measure of how good your alignlment procedures are lie in star testing. Once that secondary is sorted out, then a laser should do the trick in seconds. A barlowed laser even better. A cheshire - that works too (but are now more expensive than lasers would you believe).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (laser.jpg)
101.3 KB25 views
Old 04-02-2006, 04:37 AM
Hammerman
Director of Lint Pickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk
Nah, too many nails!

This is my rig - A vice and a 1.25 to 2 inch adapter. Simple as. Takes moments to align (depending on how far I have to walk to plot the poles ).

At the end of the day, the only true measure of how good your alignlment procedures are lie in star testing. Once that secondary is sorted out, then a laser should do the trick in seconds. A barlowed laser even better. A cheshire - that works too (but are now more expensive than lasers would you believe).
I really like your device, AstroJunk! I may have to give that a try since I already have all the parts.

Quick comment on your "cheshire more expensive than lasers" remark..... Here in the USA at Orion you can get the LaserMate for $50.95 and the Cheshire for $39.95. Are the cheshires really more expensive there in your part of the planet? I'm not doubting your word, I'm just suprised.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:07 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

All depends on which brand you want as to price... My 'Orion' Cheshire cost AUS$60 or so about 6 yrs ago... Can get cheap one for AUS $29 now, but quality is diff.. L.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk
Nah, too many nails!

I used the block of wood and nails trick and it works a treat. Using the adapter as described above introduces an extra source of error that can shift the beam while trying to adjust the laser.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:18 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler
Using the adapter as described above introduces an extra source of error that can shift the beam while trying to adjust the laser.
Yes, one has to tighten up the grub screw to get consistant results.

I wonder what cumualtive allignment error is introduced when stacking adapters and barlows etc when observing? But thats a diferent subject...