Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-01-2006, 08:15 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Someone else link the Snake Valley photos here please! I cannot find them.
Old 20-01-2006, 08:16 PM
stinky
spamologist

As I understand it the light gathering power is a squared funtion so the light gathering of the 10" is abot 50% more, however the eyes rendering is a logarithmoic scale so we're down to a 10 or 12% improvement - am I on the right lines here?
Old 20-01-2006, 08:17 PM
stinky
spamologist

Thanks - saw the difference in the 8 10 and 12 - the 12 sure is a beast! But as I said transport is no issue, however setup time getting extended may limit usage.....
Old 20-01-2006, 08:24 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

If you do live under such dark skies that most of us can only dream about then go the 12". It will be awesome. Like a 20" 60-70km from the centre of a major city. If you cannot afford the extras now they can be bought later on.

Right on about brightness: brightness goes like square aperture, senses are kind-of logarithmic, but the universe is a fractal, so twice the light means more than twice the stars.... bigger is better. Setup is not an issue. You take the base outside and plonk it down. You take the tube and put it on the base. And you are set up. Aaaah Dobs.
Old 20-01-2006, 08:30 PM
stinky
spamologist

Oh - oh - now I'm getting scared. Started of wondering Skywatcher 8" or GS 8" MAYBEEEEE a 10" GS and now you got me thinking 12"!

Location is Widgee - 30km inland from Gympie. Winter skies are awesome and as we are on acerage there are no neighbour issues.
Old 20-01-2006, 08:37 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Allright, just get a basic 8" then. If you like what you see and want more, buy the 16" truss Dob that's coming out later this year.

We are so spoiled for choice these days it's not funny! Thank you China's booming economy!
Old 20-01-2006, 08:40 PM
stinky
spamologist

Have to laugh - I think you readmy mind!

Australias biggest unit item of export - empty containers!
Old 20-01-2006, 08:47 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Go for the biggest you can afford and still transport; you'll never say you wish you had a smaller one. If you have the money invest in better EP's from the outset and the crayford focusser and fan options on the deluxe model are well worth the extra; contact Tony (Striker) if you need an excuse fabricated for the extra expenditure report to the Minister for Household Affairs.....
Old 20-01-2006, 09:11 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Word of caution here. The best scope is the one used the most so it the longer cool down time of the larger scopes becomes a hassle or just getting it in and out stops observing all the aperture in the world is no good to you.

As this is your first scope, consider a modest size with the longer focal length so its easier on eyepieces and you will have a ball. If you continue with the habit then, possibly, you will upgrade to a larger aperture.

Good luck.
Old 20-01-2006, 09:37 PM
stinky
spamologist

I see two ways of thinking developing :-

1. Modest scope, add accessories.
2. Best scope, worry about accessories later

The other issues are based around portability but as I said that's not an issue for me.
Old 20-01-2006, 10:20 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickoking
G,day guest,

Quick answer, Both scopes will do a good job. I currently own a GSO 250mm Dob and its a great scope
What ever you choose you'll have a ball, go for it
Old 20-01-2006, 11:09 PM
norm

Ok here's my opinion and I don't even own a scope!

From what I've read over the last several months, my own research, pros/cons, portability, transportation and finally cost...... I think the 10inch GS dob from Andrews with crayford focuser and built in fan. If you can afford the extra $$$ go for the Bintel Premium 10inch dob for peace of mind (pre-checks, collimation).

Whether its pre-collimated or not, its something that will need to be learnt and mastered with dobs.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

fwiw: portability (car limitations) is my biggest issue so I'm holding off until the 12inch Lightbridge or 16inch GS Truss dob past muster before I commit.
Old 20-01-2006, 11:16 PM
stinky
spamologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm
...I think the 10inch GS dob from Andrews with crayford focuser and built in fan....
Kind of leaning to that at the mo'. But if I have to upgrade within the year then better to start with the 8"?

How easy to later on, put one of these on an EQ mount?
Old 20-01-2006, 11:21 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
How easy to later on, put one of these on an EQ mount?
How much are you willing to spend on the EQ mount? See the pattern?
Old 20-01-2006, 11:26 PM
stinky
spamologist

You reckon i might be in trouble already? $$$$$$$$

EQ motorised mount for 8 - 10" $1200 ???
Old 20-01-2006, 11:39 PM
norm

Hi 'Guest'

If you were to buy an 8inch, the next upgrade path would probably be a 12inch or larger. To avoid 'aperture fever' from the onset 10inches will keep you happy. But seeing you leave in dark skies I don't think you'll be disappointed with an 8inch either.
As most people will tell ya, don't worry too much about accessories for the timebeing, just use what is supplied and get an appreciation of what they can do. Once you know what you enjoy viewing, eg, planetary/lunar or DSO, faint fuzzies then you can save money and get some decent, premium eyepeices. Its definitely a case of quality eyepeices than quantity, especially with fast ratio scopes like dobs.
As for eQ mounts, its definitely doable, whether you purchase an off the shelf mounts to suit the scope or by sourcing separate parts and assembling yourself. I'm no expert here at all, so hopefully the Gurus will put their input in. I know Iceman has done it for Astrophotography and admittedly they look pretty cool when setup like that.

Good luck in what you decide.
Old 20-01-2006, 11:46 PM
stinky
spamologist

If two years after buying an 8" I'm looking at an upgrade you won't hear me complaining. I think there is a lot of learning to be done.

BUT if I start at the higher end and don't achieve frequent usage within months I'll feel the expenditure in vain.

Looks to me taht optics and large truss scopes are only going to get cheaper - maybe the upgrade paths will look different in a year or two.
Old 21-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Starcrazzy

Hi,

Andrews sells eq5 mounts for 499, and dual axis drive for 245...The mount will take anythjing up to a 10 " ..I recently got the kit(eq5 and dual axis) and put my sxon 8" dob(well not a dob anymore, but it was, ) on the mount...it works a treat...but be warned...i got the scope out more when it was dob mounted..heaps more...the eq is big, cumbersome and time consuming...but if your in dark sky area and don't have to transport it much...go for it...Andrews 10 dobs are 699+ 499 for eq mount+245 for dual axis drive..your comin in around 1500...or wait for the 16 " truss dobs to come out in two months time...lol...
Old 21-01-2006, 05:26 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Here you go Steve.
Link to, 'The Official post Ballarat Star Party' thread, >
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=5075
Shows dob t'scopes for comparison...... Is this what you wanted? L.
Old 27-01-2006, 10:22 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Guest/stinky, Did you end up buying a Dob? Have you got it yet? Have you had a chance to try it out?