Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 05:07 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

im too lazy to take the mirrors out again as everything is set and fully collimated.. gonna have a break and see how i feel after an hour or two
Old 02-02-2006, 05:15 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Don't worry about it! Just throw it in the bin and go to Bintel and buy a new one. They have a ripper new deal on 8" Dobs with mirror fan + 2" Crayford.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:33 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

lol, if i recall at Bintel, it was $495 for the 8" and around $995 for 12" dob.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 PM
slice of heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss
I don't think soaking the mirror cell and all is a very good idea.
All my mirrors are siliconed in, no clips. I wash the mirror cell with the mirror .

Quote:
Now what's done is done. Just make sure it all dries properly,
Yep
Old 02-02-2006, 06:34 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Mine 2, but on 'particle board'. Gotta be really careful not to get it wet..... L.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
jackenau

Cleaning Optics

Like Ezy, I was also concerned about the amount of dust buildup on my primary mirror. Despite having plastic caps fitted over both ends of the scope 99% of the time (12" dob), the mirror still seamed to have an accumulation of crud-dust that I thought must have some impact on my viewing.

(Maybe this is more applicable to dob owners simpy due to the increased size of the equipment beng able to accumulate more crud.)

Maybe its not such a big deal so I chose to ignore it.

Procrastination set in as to do I don't I and what if I stuff up the........ or scratch the ...., anyhow, seeing as I am on holidays, I thought lets give it a go. Read the threads on IIS and decided to give it a go.

By the way I have had my scope and have never collminated it. Bought a cheshire and found after 14 months still to be pretty well collminated. Boy I give this scope a working. Up steps on a trolly and down steps on a trolly, left outside most nights (under cover, but still exposed to the elements). Definately no complaint about the views previously, only the what if's.

Anyhow, decided I must check the optics and if required clean the primary and secondary mirrors.

I was amazed at the buildup of dust-crud that can accumulate on the mirrors, particularly the primary. I have a faithfull observing companion, buddy the labrador and I was amazed at how many of his hairs had accumulated on the primary. (Looking in from the end of the scope I never noticed this).

So, following the steps that Ezy has detailed (and are available on a thread somewhere on IIS) AND, as well as fully removing the primary mirror I gave it a go.

The hardest part of the exercise was to collminate the mirrors once fully re-assembled. (is really simple once you get the hang of it).

Perhaps I should have done this sooner as I always anticipated that as I move along in this hobby, I would get better at viewing and what I was viewing is as good as it gets. Maybe I was putting poor viewing down to selection of eyepieces, or poor viewing conditions, (or maybe even worse failing eyesight, I am getting older).

The viewing is so much more crystal clear that I have noticed before and sharper. i have only had a couple of nights to compare over what I have previously viewed, but is definate improvement.

Point is. Was a simple exercise really, to both clean the optics and collminate. It was worth the exercise and in my opinion so far has been justified in my increased sharpness and clearness of viewing.

It was a matter of following thew steps as highlighted in the various threads.

Nothing went wrong, only increased satisfaction of viewing.

Thanks to the guys that posted the threads on cleaning-collminating your optics.

Ken M
Old 02-02-2006, 09:11 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Onya Ken

I'm glad it all worked out OK and that's encouraging for anyone who's a little shaky at the thought of doing what you've done.

The big lesson for me was exactly the same as you've discovered: you've just gotta have a go. Fully informed and well researched with all the handy info freely available on IIS, of course!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Welldone Ken, takling a BIG mirror such as the 12". Good to see your still alive.

Last edited by Astroman; 02-02-2006 at 09:23 PM. Reason: damnspacebar
Old 02-02-2006, 11:05 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

I also noticed viewing is clearer Ken and well worth the time and effort to give it a go. From reading other threads on how others were shaken from scratching the primary mirror, you just have to be really gentle with it. If a 1 week newbie such as me can do it, anyone can.

For Newtonian owners, I find it is easier to take the entire tube off the EQ mount. Put the lid on and let it stand upright. Unscrew the screws holding the primary mirror case and gently lifting the primary mirror holder.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:14 AM
barees63

One piece of advice for GSO dob owners would be to mark the tube and mirror-cell holder with tape or something so you put it back in the same position (rotation).. after much wailing and knashing of teeth I found my OTA and/or mirror assembly is not perfectly round and it would only fit back properly in one position (ie I had to keep rotating it until I found the position in which it would slide properly onto the bottom of the OTA. a bit frustrating at the time).
Old 03-02-2006, 06:38 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Interesting Bruce, my GS mirror cell has a notch cut out of it, which indicates exactly which way it should slide back onto the OTA, because the OTA has a raised section where the tube is pressed together.. so it can only go back in 1 way.

Ken, an excellent story and advice worth reading for those that have been scared to clean the mirror. and COLLIMATE! It's great to hear that you've tackled collimation and won. It's something that all newt owners just HAVE to learn, and you're robbing yourself of crisp views if you "assume" your collimation is ok.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 AM
barees63

Quote:
Interesting Bruce, my GS mirror cell has a notch cut out of it, which indicates exactly which way it should slide back onto the OTA, because the OTA has a raised section where the tube is pressed together.. so it can only go back in 1 way.
That makes more sense, mine doesn't have a notch so the OTA has been forced slightly out of round.. oh well, just went and checked again and noticed more rust appearing.. grrr!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

There is an excellent step by step article in the latest issue of Nightsky about mirror cleaning/washing...

If people are still not comfortable the article makes it look/sound dead simple...

Cheers!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:13 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

FWIW, before dis-assembly, simply put a permanent marker 'spot' on the adjacent sections. Or you can do what Meade do & use a 'coloured stick on spot' on the mirror cell & tube near one of the screws.... L.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:19 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott
There is an excellent step by step article in the latest issue of Nightsky about mirror cleaning/washing...

If people are still not comfortable the article makes it look/sound dead simple...

Cheers!
It's a good article but I don't like the idea of "swishing the surface with cotton" after you have wet it. To much risk of a scratch. Better to blow off dirt then rinse and dry. And I do mean DRY!
Old 03-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Hammerman
Director of Lint Pickers

Everybody has their own way of cleaning a mirror. I try a dry method first, but you have to follow the instructions as far as using a 100% camel hair brush, and VERY light strokes. This only works for dust, not stuck on crud. You can see exactly how I do this on one of the pages at my web site, which is as follows if you are interested in trying this method at all: http://home.comcast.net/~astrohammer/tips.htm
Old 04-02-2006, 01:47 PM
matt
6000 post club member

wavelandscott

Which month's edition of Nightsky is that mirror cleaning article in?

Couldn't find it in my local newsagent when I went looking today.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 07:51 PM
jackenau

Its in the Nightsky January/February 2006 Magazine

Ken M