Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 09:57 AM
jps

coloured filters for planets

I've really enjoyed Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, and Venus with my 8" F4 newtonian.

I'm thinking of purchasing coloured filters to hopefully increase detail. What colours to buy? Will the cheapies from Andrews Communications do?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

i personally do not use them and to be honest i don't think i will ever buy any. I will get some proper ones for imaging in R / G/ B and L, but not for viewing.

I have had mixed views of nebulaes through filters and nothing I have looked through either planet or nebula filter has made me want to rush out and get one.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:47 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

I have a set of the coloured filters and they stay in the bottom of my box of goodies most times. I was told I had to have them but I really don't think they do much except to cut down the light getting to your eye. After saying that, I do use them on the moon, combined with a moon filter, if I need to cut down the excess light.

My vote is to save your money.

The theory of opposing coloured filters to highlight coloured features is great BUT only if you have a lot of light to play with in the beginning. If you have a significantly larger scope than mine then it may work OK but I still think a good eyepiece is a better investment.

Last edited by rmcpb; 01-02-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:17 AM
barees63

I don't (yet) have an opinion but here is a really excellent web page explaining which colours work best with for the different planets etc..

http://sciastro.net/portia/advice/filters.htm
Old 01-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

I do occasionally use them for planetary viewing though these days most of my viewing is through a webcam and the only filter I use is an IR/UV blocker. I have found that the Orange and Red filters can help reveal the albedo features of Mars more that just visual, especially at medium powers when the brightness is overwhelming. Likewise for Jupiter has found a simply light blue filter helps reduce glare. On nights of ordinary seeing try a green filter with Jupiter as this definitely seems to lessen the impact of atmospheric turbulence - guess the result of just one colour rather than the turbulence making a mish mash with varying refraction of the various colours.

Hope that helps,
Old 01-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Hitchhiker
knows where his towel is

Hi jps, I found a red filter invaluable on Mars around opposition - really helped to bring out surface detail for me.

A neutral density filter is very useful on the moon to reduce glare. I haven't experimented on Saturn and Jupiter yet, but I have no doubt that they will make a difference under certain conditions as Robert_T has commented or to view particular features (see the excellent link by barees63).

All my filters are the cheap, GSO filters from Bintel (Andrews probably sell the same brand) and I find them quite satisfactory.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:08 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

If there is any one colored filter that I would recommend, it would be the 80A Blue filter. It does help sharpen the cloud bands on Jupiter and Saturn allowing minute detail to be visible. Also helps with the moon although I think you could live without them

Darren
Old 03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

I have been told that a really light blue is great on juptier

follow the above link tho and it will tell you what you need to know

i dont have colour filters at all.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Hammerman
Director of Lint Pickers

I have 4 basic color filters, but I hardly ever use them. I really like using a variable polarizing filter on Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars. I can adjust the brightness just enough to dim down the view a bit and let details pop out, and I still can see the planet in it's natural colors.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:15 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I have 80A blue. Fun to try on the gas giants, but prefer to view without it. Helped with Martian polar cap too. Combined with ND filter it makes an excellent moon filter (much better than the actual green "Moon" filter).

I had a dark red filter which was recommended for Mars, but I could not see anything with it, so I returned it. I think you need lots more aperture for it to be any use.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:04 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

JPS,

I own the glamour set of colour planetary filters.

I own 14, beautifull 2" made in Japan, optically superb Hoya colour filters. In just about every colour and shade known to man. These are about the best colour filters you can buy and owe my several hundred dollars.

I VERY RARELY USE THEM AND THEY SPEND THE MAJORITY OF THEIR TIME UNMOVED IN THE EYEPIECE CASE.

As others have said save your money !!!!! They look nice but

CS-John B

PS: I also own 10 1.25" Andrews color filters which I haven't used in ages, these don't even warrant transportation to the observing site as I take the 2" ones which keep the eyepieces that stay in the case company. If anyone wants the 10 1.25" Andrews colour filters for $50 send me a PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

jps, As you can see, the 'views' are as varied as the chaps who make them.. To each his own. If it works for you, then be happy.
I find, like others, that the #80A, light blue works extremely well on Jupiter & Saturn. Mars ain't too bad either. Can't stand the views thru the #23A red or #58 green. The #12 yellow brings out surface details as well.
The Andrews filters are a little darker/lighter shades, than the normal 'Wratten number' filters.
The one that I find most useful, (I'll get jumped on here), is the ND (Neutral Density), moon filter, when I'm having an extended view of it..
All IMPO, of course. L.
ps.(Steve, my moon filter is grey).
Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I purchased a few filters a few months ago. The medium red filter did help to bring out aldebo features on Mars when the seeing was poor. When the seeing is good, nothing beats the real natural unfiltered view.

I also own a variable polarising filter that sits in my ep case and never gets used, not even for the moon . I find that the more light reaching my eye, the more detail I can see.

My planetary/lunar observing eyepieces are Pentax. I wonder if colored filters help more with inferior eyepieces which suffer greater light scatter