Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Portmac
portmac.com

Goto problem with LX-90

Greetings everyone,

New here and relatively new to the sport of astronomy, at the end of November last year I bought a 8" LX-90 from the good folks at Bintel.
I have used it about 10 times now and I love it, but last night/this morning have come across one problem and its driving me mad.
When I told the scope to goto the Eta Carina Neb (for the first time ever) it went there and it was reasonably centered in the ep, I was looking through the ep as it was finishing slewing. Then the beep came to let me know it was there and thats when the problem happens, the scope then slews downwards about 4 or 5 inches....
So then I tell it to goto a few different objects to check, Moon, Spica, Jupiter, Acrux and it centers, beeps and stays there. Then I tell it to go back to Eta Carina and it centers, beeps, then slews downward 4-5 inches again

So I then switch it off, turn back on and re-align, all goes well until I tell it to goto Eta Carina, same thing again.

Then I try using the "Tonights Best" option to go there, load it up, slews to a few objects (Moon, Jupiter, Spica, Arcturus) and centers well and stays there. After Arcturus I hit the Mode button a few times to skip some of the objects in the tour, then it lists Eta Carina and the scope instantly slews downward 4-5 inches. When it slewed downwards this time it was still pointing at Arcturus when it started the slew, I had not even pressed the Goto button to tell it to go to Eta Carina.

So far this slewing after the beep only happens with Eta Carina, now its day time so I cannot keep poking it.

So after all this rambling on I have a few questions for you good folk.
Any ideas why this happens?
Any ideas on how to correct it?
And finally, has anyone else had this happen with thier LX-90?

P.S. I did get to look at Eta Carina after manually slewing back up, a magnificent sight even in these light polluted skys (maybe a filter would be a good thing to have).

Enjoy your day
Old 22-01-2006, 06:48 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Interesting problem. I see Phil (Acropolite) posted the same problem in the LX-90 users group.
What firm ware version are you using? If it's the same as Phils that's got to be the problem. I"m sure he is using 40Ef.
I would wait to see what comment he has to make, he may have the answer by now.
Old 22-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Portmac
portmac.com

The firmware in mine is 40Eb
Old 22-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hi Portmac,

I bought mine just a little after you.

I have exactly the same problem.

No idea what the issue is. If you find out, let us know!

Thanks.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 22-01-2006, 09:08 AM
acropolite (Phil)

I've got the same problem, my version is also 40eb and interestingly in the same part of the sky. If you have 40eb you have the problem...I contacted Bintel and Don has advised that this is a known problem and to load the latest software in to the handbox together with **** Seymores patch for that version. (40ef and the patch is 40ff). The patch is available on the yahoo LX90 site, in the files section. I have updated my handbox several times to eliminate bugs, each time there is a new bug. I will let you know if the latest version solves the problem. If 40ef doesn't resolve the problem I remember having a relatively old stable version, just have to work out which one. If you're going to download to your handbox make sure you have the latest download software (I think its's V4.3). The handbox software and AS update client are at http://www.meade.com/support/auto.html
P.S. There is a later software version that the dealers have but meade han't released yet. I guess, for me, the moral is, when you find a stable software version don't change it.....

I don't believe, it the site won't accept D_i_c_k so the **** is Richard Seymore's more common name....
Old 22-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Portmac
portmac.com

Thanks for the information and I will go about updating the handbox as soon as possible, currently needing some cables which I will get next week.
Old 24-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Portmac
portmac.com

I played around with this Eta Carina issue again and seem to have found a solution that works for me.
Once the scope finishes slewing to carina and beeps I instantly hit the Goto button to initiate a spiral search, as soon as the scope starts the spiral search I hit the Goto button again to stop it. Then its a simple matter to recenter it in the scope.
So far this has worked everytime I tried it, so hopefully it will work for others that like me are unable to update the handbox software at the moment.
Old 24-01-2006, 07:46 PM
acropolite (Phil)

My LX came complete with the update cable and Autostar suite. The cable simply plugs in to the handbox and the serial port of your PC.
Old 24-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Portmac
portmac.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite
My LX came complete with the update cable and Autostar suite. The cable simply plugs in to the handbox and the serial port of your PC.
Sadly mine did not come with a cable however it did come with the Autostar suite software, so now I have to buy a cable.....