Go Back   IceInSpace > IceInSpace > IceInSpace Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Paul Haese

The people - plain and simple for me. Met and become friends with Anthony, Stu, Peter, John, the big guy and a few other chaps as a result of being part of this site.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
sasup (Stacey)
Quick look up

re

Ice in space has benefited us all in different ways. Some love the interaction and others like the threads on new gadgets and updates. Still others love the tec talk. As I see it ice in space is an on-line coffee house for those who look up.
I know that for myself this site has been my resource for info on how to use my scope. I'm sorry to say that, my scope sit for two years until one night I was looking on-line and found Ice in space. I read a thread on how to find stars and planets, I was hooked and read all entries. That weekend I set my scope out on the back deck and using my new sky atlas I found the Jewel box and saw for the first time the rings of Saturn; not clearly but they where there. At 42 year old It took all this time to finely see. Thanks Ice in space.

cheers stacey
Old 01-09-2009, 11:04 AM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

After being scopeless for over a decade things in the amature astronomy world are very different.I started by being taught mirror grinding & polishing in the late 60's when I was a kid. Not wanting to be way behind the 8 ball I joined up on IIS. Well ! such awesome info and folks abound.
I have learned (and learn something every day)
CS2 processing, CMOS & CCD tips, computer hardware & software stuff, OAG, guiding, optical science, macro photography, flats, darks bias etc,Image plus Registax to name a few. The list goes on and on.
Thanks folks !
Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Esseth (Alan)
Worse or better?

I’m a newbie, greenhorn, complete amateur, rookie and a fish when it comes to astronomy and I truly believe that I found Ice in Space at the perfect time. Before I make all the mistakes that everyone else has...

On this site have pretty much found everything I need to know or resources to use.

The guide to the first step – Don’t buy a telescope, buy a decent pair of binos. I would have rushed out and bought a telescope with 500x zoom wasting my money and ruining any interest in astronomy that I was beginning to develop. So for that I can not thank you enough!

From simple things like the sun and moon cycles on the left side of the page through to the move specific projects and guides like how to place a light pollution map overlay on Google Earth as well as local clubs and groups that I plan on heading out to for their next public viewing night.

Basically if I have learned as much as I have and I am so new to the field, I can’t imagine how much ill be able to learn when I start getting into the more intermediate and advanced fields of astronomy.

Thanks and happy birthday
Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
TrevorW

Well where can I start

1. learned a lot
2. what to and what not to buy
3. Sold some stuff
4. Met and talked to like minded souls
5. Made new friends
6. Shared a passion
7. Cried and laughed

All those things that make living what it should be

Thank you
Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I had never had an interest in astronomy at all untill march last year.. I was a very keen photographer, however I'd never seen or even heard of astro-photography... I was doing google searches for example of long focal length photography, one of the google results intrigued me.. It was a picture of M20. I clicked on it and it brought me here... I signed up that same day, had bought my first telescope after much helpful advice after 2 weeks.. and from there, my interest in astronomy has far surpassed my interest in terrestrial photography.. The only things I've recently taken terrestrial shots of is my telescopes!

IceInSpace started my interest in Astronomy, It has nurtured me through the earlier 'beginner' stages.. and continues to provide all the information and help I might need for any given situation.

Above all else, its the friends, both the ones I've met and spent quite a bit of time with, and the ones I talk to regularly via msn or other chat..

IIS is a fantastic resource, and a general great place to be!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

the question should be how did iceinspace not help me

at the start :helped me learn alot
help me buy my second scope

middle :made friendship had some where to post photography
helped me join a club(aswa) had some people to talk to when i dropped a screwdriver on my baby(TELESCOPE)

now:more friendships ,people to talk to ,photochallenge threads

iceinspace is a second family to me
the people here also talked some cents into me and stopped me buying a 16" what was i thinking
Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

Hello,
It's hard not to repeat what all other members have already indicated.

Personally, I remember when I joined and started posting my first attempts at imaging.

I often found myself explaining to other friends and people at work etc. how I had discovered this online community which was a truly unique place for me.

While I work in an environment with lots of challenges, personal tragedies, interpersonal conflicts,etc., I often would tell colleagues of this community that seemed a totally positive environment for me.

People supporting and encouraging each other. People helping total strangers including one person, who didn't know me from a bar of soap at the time, even offering to and then traveling very long distances at personal expense to personally come and help me out, on site, when I was struggling with the steep learning curve. Needless to say I made a good friend through IIS.

IceInSpace has been my personal positive refuge, my regular small reminder that there is good in the world.

frank
Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 PM
EcoRI (Greg)

Well, I'm quite new here so I'll post this from my limited perspective. I've been toying around with my old 110mm newtonian for quite some time now, but it was really like the blind leading the blind.

1. The information here, both the articles and the forum discussions are probably a better resource than purchasing every amateur astro book in print.

2. I dont have time to join a club and none of my firends are interested in astronomy. This serves as a great way to communicate with like minded people about my passion.

3. Its the people again, the theory of 'ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer' does not apply here. People are happy to share their knowledge with you as long as your trying to learn about astronomy. I've posted some really naive questions and no one has once posted a sumg arrogant reply, instead I have been well informed regarding my question and generally get a few PM's with other tips. That kind of information can save weeks of time and money. Hopefully some day I can add something useful rather than ask so many questions. Give me a few decades and I'll get there.

4. I dont mean to ramble on here, but this site has fast-tracked my astronomy knowledge 10X

Have another good 5 years and thanks so far for the help.

Greg
Old 01-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Minair (Ronald)

Looking

Hi,
I have only been looking at stars for a short time and IceInSpace has been my saviour, a great helper in setting up my scope and what to look for sites to see.
I haven’t had much to say but a lot of reading and helpful hints by others has been most helpful.
Ron
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Rastis
Professional Idiot

Hows it going,
IceInSpace has helped me by giving me information about what to buy for my first scope, where to buy it, and how to use it.

Thanks,
Rastis.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

1) Has helped me with equipment selection (including software)

2) has helped me better understand and use said equipment (including software)

3) has motivated me towards astro imaging

4) has overall been an education in areas of Astronomy and imaging that I'm not familiar with

5) has been fun

Dave

PS If I were to win, please consider donating the winnings to a school or social group

edit: added "including software" to post
Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM
tommycc78 (Tom)
Tom

Wink Where to begin...

Ice In Space has empowered me with knowledge that can't be gleaned from astronomy magazines nor textbooks - I'm talking real-world amateur astronomy experience.

Your threads helped me to choose a great telescope, and have given me the necessary knowledge tools to use it effectively!

Thank you Ice-In-Space, keep up the good work, and "keep watching the skies"

Cheers
Tom
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

Having just returned to astronomy after a long break, Ice In Space played a big role in deciding on equipment to purchase and with good links to sponsors sites that informed me of my choices.
After choosing to buy second hand gear the forums have been a great help in setting up the Meade SC and Autostar and building a pier mounting to suit the Super Polaris mount.
I'm still in the process of researching other accessories for my setup and kit for photography etc, things to come.
This continuously brings me back to Ice in Space for more info and also the latest Astro News, a worthy site with a friendly helpful group of users.
Great stuff Ice in Space keep it up.

Nico.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Domol (Domenic)
Bring on the night!

How has iceinspace helped?

Well .....firstly given me something to do on cloudy wet nights (I'm from Melbourne ) and secondly, ditto, all of the above posts!

I've learnt so much!
Three cheers for iceinspace !!!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Rattler (John)
Insanity is SO confusing

How, When and Why....

Boo!

How did it help? Lots. Equipment, located some old mates and information on a great many events both here on Earth and off it. As a source of information and commentary, I have not found its equal.

When? Well from before I even joined as a member. It was the fact that the "How" happened that joining happened. Also, "When" is more a continuous happening as well. It has not stopped.

Why? Ah...now I get to be complimentary to all. The source of the information is credible - in other words, the members and creators all being contributors make the "Why" relevant. Their knowledge base is why it has worked and helped me.

Keep on keeping on.....to steal a phrase! OR

Stay sober....or invite me!

John
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

It's great to be part of something that is so huge . I say this in a litteral and metaphorical sense.
Ice in space has given me new friends , good times and experiences i would never of dreamed of.
Thanks Mike and Co.
Zub
Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 PM
RapidEye
Carbon Star Junkie

I keep coming back so I can live vicariously through your guy's posts!!! Can't wait to get back down under so I can see the southern skies first hand!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Moonman (Michael)
Caveman Astronomy

4 Years Later and Still Learning!

Hi Mike and all IceinSpacers,

When I first joined and introduced myself I announced that with my 76cm Saxon Reflector I'd be doing a lot lunar astronomy.

Mike responded with the comment "There's certainly much to learn and know about the Moon".

Within the first month I'd posted my first pieces of Astrophotograghy and this opened up a whole new world to me.

Four years later I'm still learning. Currently I'm enrolled at Swinburne Astronomy Online and I am in the midst
of writing an essay on the effect of tidal forces in the Solar System.

For my major project I'll be attempting to measure some distances to asteroids using ccd images that I'll be taking with my 10 inch reflector on an EQ6 Mount.

It's almost a whole world away from where I started but the constant factor is that I'm still learning and there's still just as much "learn and know" regardless of where you are.

To Mike and all moderators and members keep up the good work!

Cheers
Old 01-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Bruceaust

Ice in space has made me realise that there is not only "ice in space" but also "ice in my back yard" when I go outside star gazing in winter time in Tasmania.

Regards,

Bruce
Closed Thread