Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-11-2023, 10:54 AM
Pete75 (Pete)

Threads, adapters, loosing my mind

Hi all im totally loosing my marbles trying to get this through my head. So I have a Canon R5 that I am connecting to a SVBONY 503 80 and flattener. I just found out that my Canon Tring adapter wont attach to the flattener(coming in post) because the flatenner is M48 and my adapter in M42, so I will need to buy a tring M48 adapter. But I would also like to add the ZWO filter drawer which is M42 WTF. So at this point I have no Idea what I actually need pmsl and am about to start drinking lol. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Cheers Legends
Old 25-11-2023, 03:03 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

You can get hold of adapter rings that are M48 on the outside and M42 on the inside (ie, a step-up (or step-down, depending on the direction you're going) ring).

To confuse you more, my first-generation ZWO filter drawer is female-M48 on one side and male-M42 on the other. So I need an M48/M42 adapter ring to make it all work with my setup.

It's enough to drive you insane - at least until you get it all connected and working!

Cheers,
V
Old 25-11-2023, 03:13 PM
Pete75 (Pete)

Bloody hell lol
Old 27-11-2023, 08:46 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

Coming back to your situation, Peter, you need to configure your gear in the following order:

Focus Tube -> Flattener -> Filter Drawer -> T-ring -> Camera

At the same time, you need to maintain the correct back-focus distance between the last optical element in the flattener and the DSLR's sensor - usually 55mm. So you may need to add a spacer between the flattener and the filter drawer. (The guidance I have seen is to keep the filter as close to the camera as possible.)

Once you know all the threads of all the parts, it's fairly easy to find the necessary step-up/down adapters and the required spacers. It's just a total PITA sorting it out initially.

Cheers,
V
Old 27-11-2023, 07:42 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

HI Pete,

I make custom size adapters of all kinds, if you get stuck and cant get something off the shelf, send me a message and I will make what you need.

Regards
Joshua Bunn
Old 27-11-2023, 10:56 PM
Pete75 (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
Coming back to your situation, Peter, you need to configure your gear in the following order:

Focus Tube -> Flattener -> Filter Drawer -> T-ring -> Camera

At the same time, you need to maintain the correct back-focus distance between the last optical element in the flattener and the DSLR's sensor - usually 55mm. So you may need to add a spacer between the flattener and the filter drawer. (The guidance I have seen is to keep the filter as close to the camera as possible.)

Once you know all the threads of all the parts, it's fairly easy to find the necessary step-up/down adapters and the required spacers. It's just a total PITA sorting it out initially.

Cheers,
V
Ahh thanks heaps
Old 27-11-2023, 10:57 PM
Pete75 (Pete)

ooo thanks will keep that in mind
Old 27-11-2023, 10:58 PM
Pete75 (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
HI Pete,

I make custom size adapters of all kinds, if you get stuck and cant get something off the shelf, send me a message and I will make what you need.

Regards
Joshua Bunn
ooo thank you will keep that in mind