Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2020, 02:31 AM
leee (Thomas)

I Wonder ?

I wonder - I looked for the "best Binoculars for Star Gazing and what came up the via 'Nine Planets' - was Sky Genius 10x50. for a price of under $40 ?
Is this possible ? I paid substantially more for my General Use Binoculars (Leupold & Audibon) 8x40's . Do you think this is worth it. Mom always said "You get what you paid for" I wonder.
PS . Alex, I know this is more Stuff, but at least it is for Astronomy
Old 01-06-2020, 03:56 AM
StuTodd

For Astro, the bigger the aperture number, the more photons hit your eye for a given object, but it's very subjective area for sure. I always carry a pair of 10x50's and I'd say that would be minimum.
A friend has a Celestron 20x80 and holding then steady is impossible unless leaning on a barn wall etc...

Personally speaking, yes, an L&A or Zeiss optic is better for general use but a pair of cheapish 10x50 will be better for astronomy, given the amount you can see with binos anyway.

As for the "Nine Planets", you won't see Pluto in any binos, unless you're using a big telescope!?

Cheerio,
Stu

Last edited by StuTodd; 01-06-2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:16 AM
leee (Thomas)

re-

Good info.. thanks
Old 01-06-2020, 11:27 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Thomas
I have the 20 x 80 binos and they are wonderful. Holding them up certainly is an issue and you need to rest on something..I have wondered if a mono pole camera "tripod" would work but I have not tried it.
Also I have a curious set of 20 x 50 binos..I picked them up for ten bucks at a market..New.. I can see why they probably would not sell as it takes a great effort to see through them..happily I rest the top of the eye pieces on the bone above my eye for balance and they work a treat..a real score..I wish I had bought all the vendors stock...I was using them the other night while waiting for the camera to complete runs...they, and the 80mm are perfect for cruising the Milky Way..and I will be in touch when I get a few things sorted.
Hope you are yours are well.
Alex