Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2024, 12:57 PM
Mickconn77 (Mick)

Meade 12” lx90 rear cell thread

Was wondering if anyone knows if the 2” thread section of this old lx90 unscrews.
I have read the 12” should have a 3.25” rear cell thread but I’m not sure if that is limited to the newer or higher specced models.

Have tried to unscrew it with no luck, but likely not had never been undone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (76d36b9c-ce10-4d88-981a-919365910ce5.jpg)
200.4 KB21 views
Old 10-03-2024, 10:39 AM
big-blue

Hi Mick
I had a similar problem with a C11 which was solved with one of this type of device :
https://www.bigw.com.au/product/wilt...pener/p/578094
I now have a range of sizes of these, than have been useful for other stuck threads, such as T rings, camera filters etc.
If still stuck, you could try a plumbers rubber pipe strap wrench, or an oil filter wrench.... with increasing probability of paint loss/scratches
cheers
Old 11-03-2024, 07:45 AM
JA

HI Mick,

I'd say it unscrews unless it has been bonded on as it a 3.25" to 2" adapter, likely the same screw on adapter as shown here . I would try a suitably sized oil filter wrench with some PVC tape wrapped around the adapter outer surface to protect it from any possible marring or slip. I would suggest one of these REPCO branch wrenches, probably the GV051 87-95mm wrench, but possibly the smaller (doubt it) GV052 73-83mm wrench. Unfortunately Aluminium has a tendency to gall (stick) in screwed and fine tolerance joints. Sometimes a light coat of vaseline on the threads can help future unscrewing of the joint or some anti-seize/gall compound can be used if you wish.

Anyway make sure you measure your adapter outer diameter to be certain, but since the 3.25 inch (~82.5mm) probably refers to the female thread pitch diameter or the female thread major diameter then the required size will be a few mm extra to account for the wall thickness of the adapter and probably, although not certainly, necessitate the GV051 87-95mm Oil Filter Wrench. TRy before you buy.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (REPCO GV051 OIL Filter Wrench.jpg)
113.5 KB5 views

Last edited by JA; 11-03-2024 at 08:15 AM.