Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-07-2014, 09:19 PM
aarong (Aaron)

The Emu over Martin's lookout.

A 8 panel panorama of the Milky Way from Martin's Lookout in the Blue Mountains. Had to stitch a few frames by hand, but came out alright in the end. Nice clear (and cold) night.
Taken with 17-40mm lens @ 23 mm.
Canon 1D mk3
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (_X7T3116-Edit Panorama.jpg)
113.3 KB101 views
Old 22-07-2014, 10:16 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Aaron,

I can see the potential of what you were aiming for in this shot but I have to admit it doesn't work for me in it's current form. I'm keen to provide some CC. For me I find asside from the tree the foreground is a bit distracting, featureless. The blending between foreground and sky looks incorrect due to he "halo" the foreground has, this usually happens when one of foreground of sky is pushed too far. The other aspect I find distracting is the mis-aslignment of frames in the sky resulting in stars which are cloned (most noticable left middle).

I'd suggest trying a new stitch to better align the frames so you don't end up with incorrect stars/cloned stars, and letting the foreground be silhouettes only against a brighter sky rather than trying to have brighter foreground and darker sky. Not knowing your raw data this might not work, but it's my suggestion to try.

Regards,
Roger.
Old 25-07-2014, 10:27 AM
aarong (Aaron)

Thanks Roger, all fair and guilty as charged To get the horizon straight meant the rest of the image went off on an angle. I could do a narrower crop, which would also remove the tree, but I like the tree. I could try though and see.