Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-12-2023, 06:53 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Jupiter 3rd time around

Had another crack at Jupiter last week (December 7th around 10:30pm local Brisbane time) with the 8” f4 Newt in much better seeing conditions. Took Dave’s advice and did 10 full sequences of RGB (45s per filter so 22.5 minutes all up). Took 20% of each stack. Changed to Baader CMOS Optimized RGB filters and got much better colour than I did from the Astrodons I used previously. The ZWO ASI462MM ran around 90fps.
https://www.astrobin.com/full/odro2e/0/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CD797734-6EC3-4278-A01D-CE0867CD9642.jpeg)
37.3 KB189 views
Old 21-12-2023, 12:34 PM
Dave882 (David)

That’s a wonderful shot. Great detail but not over-done. Very nice!
Old 21-12-2023, 01:55 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
That’s a wonderful shot. Great detail but not over-done. Very nice!
Cheers Dave. I do fear that in the search for detail with the 8” Newt it would be easy to make it all a bit too clunky. Think I could probably do slightly less but now have a 10” Newt to play around with :-)
Old 03-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

That's a stunning result Ben!
I had a quick peek at Jupiter last night before the cloud rolled in. I got to try my 5x Powermate out visually, it was impressive. I didn't even get close to hooking up the 178 sensor camera I recently got through here (Player one Neptune, still new). It has the slightly smaller 2.4um sensor but I thought Jupiter may come out OK with the 8" f5 Newt.
Not to be last night and according to the data on my phone weather thingie cloud will roll in here around midnight tonight and from Monday we have rain and thunderstorms through till the 17th and that's where the data stops.
The night before we had beautiful clear skies all night but I wasn't in the mood (migraine) to set up the mount or scope.Last night I was after a beautiful clear day and STUPID me never even thought to look at the weather thingie on the phone, cloud rolled in early. I left the mount and scope out for an hour in the hopes it would blow past but it wasn't to be, oh well, there's always next year.

I'd love to try Jupiter with my RC8 but the central obstruction makes it not great for planetary use. I've seen mention it can be overcome in editing but that's beyond my understanding or capabilities. The Newt and the step ladder (small 3 step thing with row of red LEDs along the bottom step when I remember to put the 18650 batteries into the attached holder) is the way to go I think.
Old 26-02-2024, 08:46 PM
subhashish (Subhashish)

This looks so beautiful. I really loved how you have not added extra colors and kept it simple but elegant. Loved it.