Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-04-2015, 01:17 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

SkyWatcher Collapsible Dob 10"/12" Transport Q

Hi All,

Can anyone let me know the total height of the SkyWatcher Black Diamond Collapsible/Flextube dobsonians?

I'd like to know the height of the 10" and the 12" models and whether goto affects the height at all (assume it's the same base with the motor units added.

I ask because I'm wondering if it's possible that when collapsed they can be transported sitting in one car seat vertically, strapped in by the belt?

I was going to purchase a solid tube 10" dob but decided against it after I thought about how I found packing for camping was just about impossible to fit all of the camping gear and the 8" Bintel Dob that I have on loan and still have enough room for 2 people (and sometimes a dog!). It was ok when going to the ASV dark site, but if having to take the supplies etc for several days worth of camping out in the bush (fridge, solar, batteries) I have to resort to taking the little SW130P (which to be honest is why I bought it, but hey, if I can take a big 10" or 12" dobbie then I will!)

One more question, does anyone know if the focuser on the current generation of SW Collapsible dobs is a 10:1 like the GSO? What's the quality like in this focuser and can it be upgraded easily enough? I really liked the 10:1 on the Bintel/GSO but I guess if the movement is fine enough on the single speed skywatcher then so be it.

Cheers,

Last edited by inertia8; 21-04-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 21-04-2015, 03:29 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi inertia,

the goto functionality doesn't take up really any additional space on the mount.

the flex tube allow the tube to be shortened for storage. I would guess my 12" flex tube would be about 30cm shorter when retracted. There is no way I can fit my tube in an upright fashion in my car, it lies across all 3 rear sets in my XR. You might have a chance with the 10" it would probably retract (length-wise) to around the length of an 8" solid tube - but it would be good for someone to measure it for you.

the focuser is good. infact I find the build quality of the SW better than GSO overall (stiffer spider vanes, better springs, can attach DSLR directly without moving the mirror [not sure if GSO has fixed that yet] etc).

http://www.skynews.ca/review-sky-wat...oto-dobsonian/

here is a sample photo I've taken with my goto dob https://www.flickr.com/photos/803366...ream/lightbox/

Best of luck

Cheers

Russ
Old 21-04-2015, 04:14 PM
hickny (Peter)

Hi inertia,
If you are looking for a collapsible scope have you seen these...
http://gondwanatelescopes.com/ultral...lescope-marana
really portable, light weight and perfectly balance.
Have a look at this thread...
http://gondwanatelescopes.com/ultral...lescope-marana
Good luck with your decision.
Cheers
Peter
Old 21-04-2015, 06:25 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

The 12" shortens over half a meter. If I remember correctly. mine is just under a meter collapsed. Its expanded length is about 1.5 meters. Personally opinion. I think the focuser was bad - the single speed one. I had to remove the focuser tube and grind the surface that contacts the crayford-style focuser wheel with an oil stone because it was rounded and making poor contact. I got a lot of slippage before that. It is also very high profile compared to other designs. I recently after 3.5 years replaced it with a GSO 2 speed focuser. With how cheap that GSO focuser is. I couldn't be happier with the results. No slippage even with nearly 2 kilo's in the focuser. Also, with an enlarged 10:1 microfocuser wheel, fine focus is as smooth as silk.
Old 21-04-2015, 10:36 PM
rat156

Hi Inertia,

I have the 14" goto Dob. It stands at 970 mm high when retracted. I cannot fit it in the front seat of my (admittedly quite small) Alfa Mito.

When used for observing the eyepiece is always within my height (182 cm), though when at zenith it is only just.

The focuser on mine is a 10:1, and is quite nice.

I can fit this scope into my car, see attached pictures, also attached is a picture of my daughter standing next to the scope (she's 163 cm tall).

Cheers
Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MitoScopeIIS2.jpg)
161.1 KB68 views
Click for full-size image (MitoScopeIIS3.jpg)
148.0 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (MitoScopeIIS1.jpg)
118.1 KB80 views
Old 21-04-2015, 10:47 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat156 View Post
Hi Inertia,

I have the 14" goto Dob. It stands at 970 mm high when retracted. I cannot fit it in the front seat of my (admittedly quite small) Alfa Mito.

Cheers
Stuart
Do you like Alfa's or something Stuart

I've got the 12" goto flextube and although I haven't traveled with her yet, I plan to take her to the South Pacific Star Party in a month. It collapses nicely and I will be transporting it as Stuart has shown but in a Holden Station wagon = much bigger (but no where near as cool) car...Viva Italia!

Mike
Old 21-04-2015, 11:13 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Thank you for the replies. I'm still trying to find the hard data on the height of the mount and the length of the tubes when collapsed, as well as the total height of the collapsed tube and mount together.

I think a 14" is stretching my budget though and will likely settle on the 10" or the 12" if one were to become available at the right price.

One more thing, does the solid tube Skywatcher share the same focuser as the 10" and 12" flextube? Does it retain the same build quality as the "Black Diamond" flextubes?
Old 22-04-2015, 11:02 PM
knightrider
Unregistered User

I have the 10". I can get back to you with the measurements in a day or so
Old 22-04-2015, 11:59 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Thanks knightrider, appreciate it.

I may just end up with a solid tube if there's not a lot of difference in terms of transport portability. Goto would be nice if only for tracking ability, but seems to double the price of dobs so maybe I'll keep saving or hope for s 2nd hand deal to pop up
Old 23-04-2015, 12:53 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia8 View Post
Thanks knightrider, appreciate it.

I may just end up with a solid tube if there's not a lot of difference in terms of transport portability. Goto would be nice if only for tracking ability, but seems to double the price of dobs so maybe I'll keep saving or hope for s 2nd hand deal to pop up
I know someone who has a 10" collapsible skywatcher dob. He just sits it up right in his rear passenger seat. He drives corolla. Super portable package. You won't be able to do that with a solid tube.
Old 23-04-2015, 04:43 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

That's what I'm hoping. I've got several vehicles so hopefully one of em will have enough head height to sit the scope and mount in one seat.

Can anyone recommend a tight fitting light shroud which can be left on the scope when collapsed etc?
Old 23-04-2015, 07:23 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I use a scopestuff/astrozap shroud thats tailor made for Skywatcher collapsible dobs. Its on permanently. Designed to collapses perfectly with the scope. Pretty thick material too. Can't see any light getting through. Even a street light in direct view.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ash2.htm
Old 23-04-2015, 07:59 PM
knightrider
Unregistered User

Ok dimensions of the 10" Skywatcher Collapsible are as follows:

Tube collapsed and base complete: 1080mm
Tube only collapsed: 805mm
Base height only (not disassembled): 780mm
Base diameter: 525mm

I can sit the tube only in my back carseat upright and seatbelted in like a person. The base I put in the boot standing upright. And that's all you need to do as the tube separates easily from the base with just 1 bolt.

I drive a Subaru Forester which isn't a particularly large car. I fit all my camping gear for 2 and the scope snuggly into it without having to go to the extremes of disassembling the base. To me the quicker the setup the better. If I had to muck around rebuilding my scope like it was flat packed when I bought it, i wouldn't bother taking it out camping. More time viewing, less time setting up.

As for a light shroud, my wife made me one which will collapse with the scope or velcro off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150423_192742~2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	181142

Name:	IMG_20150423_192647~2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	181143

Name:	IMG_20150423_192905.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	181144

Last edited by knightrider; 23-04-2015 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 23-04-2015, 08:05 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Awesome. Thanks for the info gents.
Old 25-04-2015, 05:50 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

12 inch flex dob

Highly recommended piece of equipment.
not quite as portable as the 10 inch flex dob I previously owned, but if you can transport it , good as gold.

I transport mine upright in the passenger seat, but I have a Sprinter van I use for Astro trips.

I am pretty sure my 10 inch used to fit upright in my wife's I30, but cant test that now.

Anyway, data for the 12:

Height of collapsed scope still in mount (ie: scope and mount) 120cm
height of collapsed scope removed from mount (OTA only) 93cm
width of scope at narrowest point 36cm
width of scope at widest point 47cm
width of mount base (diameter really as it is a circular shape) 65cm
Base height 87cm

Tube weight approx. 21kg
Mount weight about 23kg (includes motors and drives of course)
The non goto mount is considerably lighter of course.

Mine is an older model, so current may differ but
focuser is Crayford style but not 10:1.
I also did the oil stone modification to the focuser and it runs very smooth now.
I also added a skywatcher electric focuser and this is well worth the price of admission.
better to 10:1 as you don't touch the focuser so no vibrations.
http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx
Finder scope 8x50 straight through.
I bought a skywatcher right angle finder (much easier to use)
and I also mounted a Red Dot Finder (essential to get you in the right area before using the magnified finder)

Hope this helps

Last edited by Allan_L; 25-04-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 28-04-2015, 01:07 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Thank you Allan and Knightrider!

I guess this kinda clears it up for me, so if I were to go for a 10" I would probably go the solid tube model from Skywatcher/Saxon/GSO or the Goto Orion XT10g.

I'm getting a little bit of aperture fever and thinking of saving for a 12" Flextube (Not sure on trusses). I'm comfortable with lifting 20-25kg or so as I regularly have to lift and shift chicken pellets, that said the pellets are in a compact bag and can be hoisted onto one's shoulder, not sure the same can be done with the base and OTA