Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-08-2015, 05:28 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
Nice report. Looks like your system resolution is seeing-limited for your site - that's as good as it gets. definitely a keeper.

Maybe there could be just a very slight amount of image plane tilt? (left hand sharpness looks just a tad under that in the centre and right panes). If there is some, you can easily adjust it out with the camera.

Suggest that an add-on stepper drive for the very tidy looking focuser might be worthwhile - aluminium wanders about like nothing else when the temperature changes.
Cheers Ray :-)

I think you're right regarding the tilt. I hadn't noticed it, but now that I look more critically I can see it. This could be because of the dodgy focal extender I have in the mix. Hopefully once I have my OAG and flattener I can get rid of that.

I'll definitely be looking for a stepper when I have the funds. I've gone on another shopping spree though, buying this scope, a new OAG, upgraded counter-weight shaft for the EQ6 as well as a belt mod kit, so I've pretty much exhausted all spare funds I had, so it'll have to wait a few months I think.
Old 21-08-2015, 09:59 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Ok, I have an update on this.

Kevin Legore of Skywatcher US has been a great help, providing me with the attached diagram.

Kevin also provided the warning The pads on the Esprit focuser can be adjusted but be careful when backing the screws off as the pads are only kept in place my pressure of the screws and the draw tube. I have attached a picture to show this.

Now it was a bit tricky adjusting it, I had to make multiple adjustments to the two sets of grub screws (there's another set on the other side of the focuser), as well as the grub screw I posted earlier. At one point I went too far and there was a distinct thud when the focuser reached a certain point. But after much tweaking I think I've finally got it sorted.

Tasco Australia still haven't responded to me regarding my issues with the focuser, nor regarding the missing flattener, but at least a rep in the US with no obligation to help came to the rescue regarding the focuser.

The documentation that came with the Esprit doesn't seem to quite match the bits and pieces that came with it, but I did piece together something pretty cool. With the extender and adapter that comes with it I'm able to set up my entire (for the moment) imaging train without a single one of those crappy brass-ring compression things. The entire lot is threaded and very secure, which I think is pretty damned cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EspritFocuser.jpg)
78.1 KB144 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0246.JPG)
160.0 KB144 views
Old 22-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Good stuff Lee!

One of the things that appealed to me about these were the screw threads, being able to avoid compression rings and their sag potential! Maybe unfounded of course
Old 23-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

It's great that you are refining your imaging train and that all is coming together nicely.
Old 23-08-2015, 10:12 AM
casstony

How hard would it be to include a pamphlet with each scope detailing the construction and adjustments for the focuser - would save the retailers/manufacturer a lot of emails I would think.
Old 23-08-2015, 12:51 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Skywatcher USA is now standing behind the Esprits performance obligation:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/50...iii/?p=6662726
Old 24-08-2015, 05:13 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Good stuff Lee!

One of the things that appealed to me about these were the screw threads, being able to avoid compression rings and their sag potential! Maybe unfounded of course
Yeah, I think it's great. A definite improvement over what I had before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
It's great that you are refining your imaging train and that all is coming together nicely.
Cheers S :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
How hard would it be to include a pamphlet with each scope detailing the construction and adjustments for the focuser - would save the retailers/manufacturer a lot of emails I would think.
I know, right? Especially when it seems like such a common issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Skywatcher USA is now standing behind the Esprits performance obligation:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/50...iii/?p=6662726
Good to see, thanks Lewis!
Old 25-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Are there any aftermarket focusers available (Starlight Instruments or Moonlite) that would fit the 120 or the 150 for imaging/autofocusing?

Congratulations, on your purchase!

H
Old 25-08-2015, 05:07 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

You can definitely get a Feathertouch for them (120 and 150 have the same focuser), but I'm not sure about a Moonlite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Are there any aftermarket focusers available (Starlight Instruments or Moonlite) that would fit the 120 or the 150 for imaging/autofocusing?

Congratulations, on your purchase!

H
Old 26-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

The 100 and 120 both have an M74x1 male thread at the end of the focuser tube, although this itself looks like it can be unscrewed from the focuser barrel
Old 26-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
You can definitely get a Feathertouch for them (120 and 150 have the same focuser), but I'm not sure about a Moonlite.

I am sure Ron Newman from Moonlite will have or can custom make a flange for your scope. It would be best to email them and ask.

2.5" Motorised focuser + motorised rotator from Moonlite is a pretty awesome combo IMO.
Old 26-08-2015, 07:50 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
I am sure Ron Newman from Moonlite will have or can custom make a flange for your scope. It would be best to email them and ask.

2.5" Motorised focuser + motorised rotator from Moonlite is a pretty awesome combo IMO.
That'd be very nice indeed... also very pricey!

I did another brief test last night, I think I'll definitely need motorised focusing with the Esprit. Not sure what the difference is between this and every other scope I've owned that necessitates it, but it is what it is. I also discovered that even after my adjustment, trying to focus near zenith is impossible with the focuser. I'll have to try it again, although I'm not sure I'm going to be able to reach a balance that will enable me to focus at all positions without it becoming so tight that I won't be able to motorise it.

I'll be trying to build my own motorised solution, which should cost < $100. I had planned on buying one, but it looks like it should be achievable to DIY and that beats paying $630 to land a Sharpsky.

Also going to be short on funds again as my EQ6 is up the creek... getting huge, image-ruining spikes in RA now, as well as worsening DEC backlash, so I'm requesting a refund and planning to upgrade to the AZ-EQ6.
Old 27-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Will you be able to automate your motorised solution?

The beauty of a RoboFocus or SharpSky is that it's all ASCOM compliant and can be controled via automation software.

These scopes seriously look tempting. I'd love to see some deep images taken with a full frame camera. I'm torn between spending on one of these or a Paramount!

H
Old 27-08-2015, 11:25 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Will you be able to automate your motorised solution?

The beauty of a RoboFocus or SharpSky is that it's all ASCOM compliant and can be controled via automation software.

These scopes seriously look tempting. I'd love to see some deep images taken with a full frame camera. I'm torn between spending on one of these or a Paramount!

H
Sure can... some guys over in the UK have done the hard work writing ASCOM drivers and even documenting what components they use, so it should mostly be a matter of putting the pieces together (easier said than done, of course).
Old 27-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hope you don't mind documenting what you do on here, Lee! Would love to see your build.

H
Old 27-08-2015, 06:38 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

[QUOTE=Octane;1198948

H[/QUOTE]

One word: FSQ-130ED

Nuff said. It'll ride the Losmandy just fine.
Old 27-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

One word: divorce.

H
Old 27-08-2015, 06:57 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Hope you don't mind documenting what you do on here, Lee! Would love to see your build.

H
PM Sent
Old 27-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Cheers, mate!

H
Old 27-08-2015, 07:17 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
One word: divorce.

H
You want a Paramount mount.... all of them are more expensive than the Tak FSQ-130ED, EXCEPT the MyT - and the MyT might be more by the time you add in everything.

I'd go with the FSQ130 on the G11...