Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Kunama

Only way I would want to use a Newt on Eq for visual would be with a very smooth set of rotating rings and the tube ballasted so the focuser remains at the correct angle at all times.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I agree Hans - absolutely nuts! The BEST of the best.

Bigger does not always equal better. QUALITY counts over quantity.
No Lewis..the best of the best is the C400 16" f/14 Classical Cassegrain

My dream scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (C-400 Classical Cassegrain.jpg)
100.7 KB77 views
Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post

My dream scope.
Now that is a nice piece of kit. Special build but at 75kg there goes a new mount !

Very small secondary too at 29% !

Im guessing it has an additional zero on the end before the decimal point though or getting close enough to an additional zero lol !
Old 09-07-2015, 10:48 AM
ariefm71 (Arief)

That plastic Telrad base seems out of place... They should made a nice aluminium version of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post

My dream scope.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariefm71 View Post
That plastic Telrad base seems out of place... They should made a nice aluminium version of it.
Agreed. I am not a fan of plastic anything - the plastic Takahashi 1.25" diagonal annoyed my sensibilities enough to purchase the 2" Tak diagonal as well.

The 1.25" works impeccably, just... well, plastic housing is not what I want

Leave plastic for caps and bahtinovs.

Now Phil, you COULD buy one of the Stromlo refractors...
Old 09-07-2015, 11:07 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Assuming your willing to make the investment in another quality scope.

How about the Planewave 14" CDK, can't argue about the quality and you would get a wider field of view and a faster scope.

http://www.optcorp.com/planewave-14-...ory-price.html
Even though Planewave say the CDK is also a visual instrument I found my CDK17 to not give good views. I think it shows the seeing too much. So it would really require good seeing but the scope is more optimised for imaging with the relatively larger central obstruction as opposed to a Mewlon which has a very small secondary.

Greg.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:09 AM
gregbradley

Sometimes Tak looks like they are still in the Stone Age. Can you imagine the thermal currents in that beast? The weight.

This is the age of carbon fibre with fans and thermal control for large scopes.

Greg.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Sometimes Tak looks like they are still in the Stone Age. Can you imagine the thermal currents in that beast? The weight.

This is the age of carbon fibre with fans and thermal control for large scopes.

Greg.
It does have 3-4 fans behind the primary mirror. Since these are custom made scopes I would think a prospective buyer could enquire about the availability of a Carbon Fibre tube.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:21 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

OK Phil, I found the new scope for your property.

https://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e7&oe=56567A7C

I am sure the ESA might sell it for a handsome fee
Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
OK Phil, I found the new scope for your property.

https://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e7&oe=56567A7C

I am sure the ESA might sell it for a handsome fee
Lewis, it would have been an option but the secondary is a bit big and the thick spiders put me off
Old 14-07-2015, 06:28 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Been reviewing the options and think I will just stay with the Mewlon 300 for now considering the mounting/usability issues with a custom newt.

Any change to a new scope has to provide increased in optical performance and wider field without the prior mentioned drawbacks which looks like it will be hard to do unless I go to some sort of scope like dobsonian such as a SDM.

I don't particularly like the idea of climbing around on ladders just to get to the eyepiece !
Old 14-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Rac (Raymond)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Keep the Mewlon 300 for travel and get a 24" F3.3 dob for the home obsy Phil.

Newts on Eq mounts for visual were conceived by sadists and masochists !!!

The big tracking dob idea is a good one I think. IF you aren't into photography then I see no down side. Just get a good one with a good mirror set!
I would think big, no less than 24" and fast to keep it short.
Old 29-09-2015, 06:46 AM
thebonz (John)

mewlon 300 corrector

Why not consider the corrector for the M300. This piece of optical wizardry from takahashi will convert the scope down to f10 with much less coma delivering your wider views. The corrector works brilliantly on the m250. Cheers. John
Old 29-09-2015, 08:41 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issdaol View Post
Been reviewing the options and think I will just stay with the Mewlon 300 for now considering the mounting/usability issues with a custom newt.

Any change to a new scope has to provide increased in optical performance and wider field without the prior mentioned drawbacks which looks like it will be hard to do unless I go to some sort of scope like dobsonian such as a SDM.

I don't particularly like the idea of climbing around on ladders just to get to the eyepiece !
Not such a bad thing having to 'settle' for Mewlon 300!!
Old 06-10-2015, 12:38 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebonz View Post
Why not consider the corrector for the M300. This piece of optical wizardry from takahashi will convert the scope down to f10 with much less coma delivering your wider views. The corrector works brilliantly on the m250. Cheers. John
Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually had considered this and I know another Mewlon 300 owner who did the corrector upgrade.

Reality is that visually the coma is not noticeable in the Mewlon 300 so while the corrector would provide advantage to a larger format sensor the benefit is not that big for visual.

Will get a bit wider field but again did not seem compelling enough.

I suppose I could just do it anyway for the slight visual benefits as it would not represent any drawback or loss in the investment of the scope itself.

So will ponder this again....
Old 06-10-2015, 12:44 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Not such a bad thing having to 'settle' for Mewlon 300!!
LoL yes I can see how it would look that way ....
Old 06-10-2015, 08:44 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Only way I would want to use a Newt on Eq for visual would be with a very smooth set of rotating rings and the tube ballasted so the focuser remains at the correct angle at all times.
At Melbourne obs.,we have a 12" f7ish newt, the beauty of it is the rotating turret at the focused end, ep in wrong position, just slide it around..also useful for people of diff heights. It contains both the finder & secondary --I'm surprised you don't see more of them
Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issdaol View Post
LoL yes I can see how it would look that way ....
Hi Phil,

Keep in mind that Dall Kirkhams and corrected Dall Kirkhams like the Planewave and Tak Mewlons have limitations and downsides as visual instruments. A high quality newtonian, properly set up, of equal aperture is going to outperform either of these scopes as a visual telescope, in several aspects of optical performance. While you might love your Mewlon 300, a high quality 12" newtonian, which has been properly set up by someone with the required know how will outperform it in most respects as a visual telescope. There is an abundance of literature available on why this is so. It is also supported by my practical experience. The above having been said there is also a downside to newtonians. It takes a bit of learning and know how to get a large aperture newtonian to perform at its best. I have looked through dozens and dozens of large aperture newtonians that were not properly set up and badly underperforming. What is sad is that most of the scope owners thought their scope was properly set up and they just didn't know any better. If you're not experienced in setting up a large aperture newtonian it is worth spending some time with someone who is and picking their brains

Cheers,
John B
Old 06-10-2015, 01:43 PM
ariefm71 (Arief)

John, I think what makes Tak Cassegrains great (apart from the 1/20th wave optics) is how protected both the primary and secondary mirrors is from stray lights. If both scopes are properly set up, I still think the Tak will have an advantage over newtonian due to this, unless you observe from a very dark location.

Cheers,
Arief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Hi Phil,

Keep in mind that Dall Kirkhams and corrected Dall Kirkhams like the Planewave and Tak Mewlons have limitations and downsides as visual instruments. A high quality newtonian, properly set up, of equal aperture is going to outperform either of these scopes as a visual telescope, in several aspects of optical performance. While you might love your Mewlon 300, a high quality 12" newtonian, which has been properly set up by someone with the required know how will outperform it in most respects as a visual telescope.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

why not C14 edge. lock the mirror and put on a high quality aftermarket focuser.

Surely there can be no meaningful arguments on optical quality: http://www.myastrospace.com/forums/f...-poke-a-c14-at
http://www.airylab.fr/AirylabUS/inde...d=52&Itemid=57

easy to use visual with same obstruction as Mewlon (I think). easy carry for your mount. 1.4x better light grasp and better resolution.

Last edited by Shiraz; 06-10-2015 at 09:12 PM.