Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2024, 12:03 PM
woolly (Brian)

Ioptron Skyhunter Mount

Does anyone using this mount have problems with guiding when using an ASI Air plus?
Old 07-01-2024, 06:10 PM
Rusty2

Hi Brian !

I don't have that mount but I do have the ASIair plus and also had BIG guiding problems .

My mount in RA was "sawtoothing" , (see picture) going wildy from one direction to the other and the DEC was trying to keep up in a wild fashion as well .

If you look at the picture below of the guide settings , you'll see three settings .

Calibrations Step 10000 ms
Max DEC Duration 2500 ms
Ma RA Duration 2500 ms

My guide camera has a 500mm focal length so my settings will be different to yours , but my Calibration Step is now set on 500ms , my Max DEC Duration is now 50ms and my Max RA Duration is 5ms .

Upon playing with these settings I noticed an instant settling of the guide graph but still not as good as could be .

There was another problem , the blue line (RA axis) would also just suddenly go off screen . A friend on here (PaulSthCoast) reminded me about keeping my scope "east heavy" or "west heavy" . This stopped the blue line from departing the screen .

Check all your cables and tie them all down to the scope , (cable management) dragging or sagging cables can cause big problems too .

You will also have to check your backlash . There are youtube videos on tightening your mounts gears to reduce backlash .

I had to sit with the mount multiple nights and adjust the settings to see what would happen .

I hope this helps : )

Rusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Guide log.jpg)
153.2 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (Guide settings.jpg)
35.4 KB12 views