Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2023, 11:02 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Takahashi FSQED4

I have been spending the last week or two bedding in the new Taka and figured I might as well share this experience
with a few thoughts and some data.

I hope you find this test report useful
Old 13-03-2023, 05:41 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Thanks for the report Peter, I've owned my FSQ-106ED since 2013 and it is the capstan wheel model. I'm always amused when I hear that the capstan wheel is often referred to as a Captain's wheel, a helmsman comes to mind though.

From memory, the first FSQ-106ED was released in 2007 and as Peter said is optically unchanged since then, only the addition of various adaptors on the visual back have been added. So, it is quite possible to buy the current EDXIV adaptors and fit them to any of the earlier models.

Last edited by UniPol; 13-03-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 13-03-2023, 07:19 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

An interesting & comprehensive read, thanks for posting.
Old 13-03-2023, 10:04 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
Thanks for the report Peter, I've owned my FSQ-106ED since 2013 and it is the capstan wheel model. I'm always amused when I hear that the capstan wheel is often referred to as a Captain's wheel, a helmsman comes to mind though.

From memory, the first FSQ-106ED was released in 2007 and as Peter said is optically unchanged since then, only the addition of various adaptors on the visual back have been added. So, it is quite possible to buy the current EDXIV adaptors and fit them to any of the earlier models.
Capstan/Captain's wheel...

humm... I pondered that for a bit.

Given the MK III has turned posts fixed on a single wheel, rather than being part of a pulley system, I'll stand by my description.

I wouldn't call it a capstan...but if that floats 'y boat. Go right ahead.
Old 13-03-2023, 10:14 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
An interesting & comprehensive read, thanks for posting.
Ta Andy, glad you found it interesting.

BTW My original FSQEDX-III will soon be up for sale either on IIS or Astromart. I put a thin 0.5cm mark/scratch on the objective AR coating and even tough I know it will never effect any images, due my OCD with optics decided to move to the ED4.

It's sitting at Testar as I write, waiting for testing and collimation (if required) prior to sale.
Old 14-03-2023, 10:40 PM
gregbradley

A good read Peter. They are amazing scopes. I had the 106N and also a 106EDX111.

A couple of points I would add to this.

The focus lock mechanism for locking manual focus is defective. If you lock it the focus shifts. You have to have it partially locked, then fine focus, then lock it to prevent a shift.

The FSQ is very sensitive to temperature shifts, the most of any scope I have used. So every 1C change it needs refocusing.

The FSQ 106ED when it was first released had a host of - to me, odd coloured images. They looked like they had a mustard colour bias. I mentioned this to one owner and he actually did a test on the colour output from the scope. Sure enough there was excess green being transmitted. It apparently comes from the black paint used in the internals of the tube.

I got a TEC110 Fluorite and straight away I was able to get nicer colours. With modern image processing colour biases are somewhat easy to counteract but netherless it was something I did not like.

My 2 FSQs had no focuser issues. But I did wonder about the 106EDX focuser tube being smaller and less robust than the 106N which was like a tank. A step backward but perhaps it looks better. Both my FSQs handled a FLI Proline camera, FLI filterwheel and MMOAG with no issues. But as we know the 9 micron pixels in those cameras are fairly forgiving.

The above are not deal breakers though.

I have read several reports on Cloudy Nights where astrophotographers using the latest 61MP CMOS Sony sensors were getting colour aberrations in stars nearer the perimeter of the images. The smaller pixel showing up minor defects in the optics. Still a very high standard but the latest sensors are showing its weaknesses.

I think all long term astrophotographers eventually find an FSQ along their career path.

There are huge numbers of super images taken with these scopes so the above is not a condemnation of them but pointing out some minor niggles with them.

As you mention, the FSQ is primarily an astrograph so the focuser should be more of a priority for Tak. The EDX 1-IV models has been a series of small changes to image the focuser. I am not sure if the EDXiv is still having focuser issues but the 61mp sensors are unforgiving.

Too bad the FSQ130ED was discontinued as in hindsight it would make a good lifetime scope.

Greg.
Old 15-03-2023, 03:38 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

Great review Peter! We’ll written & a good read.

Greg, my understanding, some FSQ130ED owners had issues with the focuser too.

But I do regret not buying the FSQ130ED. I’d have to consolidate both my 250CRS & 125SDP for it.
Old 15-03-2023, 04:46 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
Great review Peter! We’ll written & a good read.

Greg, my understanding, some FSQ130ED owners had issues with the focuser too.

But I do regret not buying the FSQ130ED. I’d have to consolidate both my 250CRS & 125SDP for it.

Wow, Tak is having a bad hair day with focusers. Time to get some new engineering whiz kid on staff to start making some focusers that are as good as their optics are.

I have seen some FSQ130 images and they are nice. $20K nice? I am not sure but a unique scope. A replacement Feathertouch focuser would be the end of any focuser issues.

I have had a few Feathertouch focusers and they are all great to use but really I think the AP focusers are the absolute best. They have a stainless steel drawtube that would hold your car up!

Greg.
Old 19-03-2023, 01:34 PM
xthestreams (Paul)
photon disrupter

Love my 106, incredible scope, lives up,to the hype.

Pop on a Nitecrawler and you’ll never look back!
Old 19-03-2023, 03:35 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi crew. I know this has probably been asked many times (and for other premium brands as well) but why dont Tak and other premium brands use a focuser up to the quality of their optics? Surely it isn't to save dollars as better to pay more straight off than to have to replace it with another brand. It must be a bit disappointing to have to do that after laying out so much already. Tak must know people do this so why don't they do something about it. Just a minor rant from someone who probably won't be able to afford such a scope let alone replacing the focuser at more great expense. I'm certainly not bagging you guys for buying such a scope but I dont understand Takahashi and others' thinking.
Cheers, Richard
Old 19-03-2023, 04:52 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
... Tak must know people do this so why don't they do something about it. .......
Cheers, Richard
A valid point.

I think Greg's earlier comments are also on the money...everyone was happy with their images from 9 micron pixel cameras as nearly all errors were invisible.

Now with 3x better sensor resolution "film grain" is no longer masking *any* optical or focal plane tilt errors.

Cindy does indeed have a mole. Bugger.