Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 29-11-2014, 09:56 AM
glend (Glen)

Update: The scope is pretty much finished now, just a few minor cosmetic things on the tube to fix, and I might have to move the secondary slightly as it's out of centre on its frame member by about 2mm on one axis (but optically its perfectly collimated). This doesn't seem to affect either visual or image test performance - maybe due to the slightly larger (than visual) secondary size. The photos are attached.

I went with the satin black finish again (as used on my long refractor) as this is not a piece of furniture but a telescope, and any light coloured surfaces can be a problem in my opinion.

I have finished sewing up the shroud but I still need to cut some holes in it for the guidescope mount, focuser, etc. and edge it holes so it doesn't look terrible.

I have a fan to mount on the rear mirror opening but I think I will go with a suspended mount (so it does not touch the surface of the scope rear plate).

Hoping to do the first imaging run tonight if I can keep awake until the moon sets.
I will get some photos of it on the mount as well.

PS. Re the weight of the finished scope: for just the OTA (with mirrors, focuser, and all mounting brackets for the accessories) but without the finder, guidescope/camera , the weight was 11.6kg - this represents the carry weight that I would have to lug out to the mount. When I added the guidescope, guide camera, and finderscope the weight topped out at 12.6kg. My Canon 450D, Baader MPCC, and the adaptor weigh just under 1kg, so say 13.6kg on the mount ready to run. This is under my original target and well under the production OTA only weight of a carbon fibre tube 10" imaging newt (@15kg). I believe a production carbon fibre tube scope would max out at around 17+kg one all the usual accessories and camera were added. I think there is a little more weight that I could shed, if I switched to a Moonlight focuser for example. Still it's easy to carry and lift onto the mount and that was my goal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF0861.jpg)
220.7 KB126 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF0863.jpg)
231.6 KB108 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF0865.jpg)
219.5 KB126 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF0866.jpg)
215.7 KB120 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF0868.jpg)
202.3 KB108 views

Last edited by glend; 29-11-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 30-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Rac (Raymond)

That's looking really nice.
Old 14-12-2014, 09:40 PM
glend (Glen)

Update: The Newt is fully operational now, the shroud is near completed ( I still need to hem the open ends if I can be bothered), and all aspects have been tested. Very happy with the performance both visually and imaging wise. Photos are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF0869.jpg)
82.1 KB126 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF0871.jpg)
70.2 KB133 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF0872.jpg)
81.3 KB140 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF0873.jpg)
53.8 KB118 views
Old 15-12-2014, 07:18 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Nice work ! Excellent gain (or loss really) in the weight department too.

My rear mounted fan is slung on a fishing nylon line suspension system. 4 screws in the base, use the four corner holes on the fan to create a star configuration holding the fan. Extremely lightweight and vibration free, especially at 5 volts. Just an idea if you need it.
Old 15-12-2014, 08:59 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks Brent, I decided to suspend the fan on four blobs of Sikaflex bedding compound which will absorb any vibration from the fan. The rear fan cutout allows the fan to be recessed in the rear plate and on the edges of the recess is where the Sikafkex was put. I can tap the fan case with a screw driver and feel nothing transmitted to the rear plate - thus no transfer to the mirror.