Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-11-2008, 09:50 AM
StevenA (Steven)

Which EQ do I buy?????

I am soon to upgrade and need some advise on which mount to buy. So far I have been thinking of EQ5. BUT what are the differences and limit etc to the other EQ's such as EQ6 or HEQ's. Is it simply the software object count or the ability to hold more weight? What? Can anyone help me to make a better educated choice please. After all it is a lot of money and I don't want to end up regretting my discission. Thanks..
Old 26-11-2008, 09:52 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Steven

The EQ6 is better than both the EQ5 and HEQ5. It can hold more weight, that's the basics of it. But it's a very important factor, especially if you want to put a larger telescope on there and especially if you want to do astrophotography.
Old 26-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Hi Steven, My choise would be to go for the biggest mount you can afford or at least Justify. The HEQ and EQ5 mounts are good performers but are a little lacking in carrying capacity.
The EQ6, although more expensive, has a much greater capacity than the 5's and will serve you well for many years. If the use is to include Astrophotography or there is some chance of this becoming one of it's uses then it is a no brainer. The 6 will handle quite a large telescope and a guide scope together without to many hassles.

Remember that for Astrophotography it is wise not to load the mount past about 2/3 of it's rated capacity. It will handle this weight with ease and will guide very well at this loading.

Good luck with your choice.