Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Arthur Coombs (Arthur)

2016 August Solar Prominences

The long filament complex which has rotated to the western limb of the Sun has produced some rather spectacular prominences. These two Hydrogen-alpha images were captured on the 4th and 5th August. Arthur.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (AC_20160804_003815_NW_col_comb.jpg)
102.3 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (AC_20160805_003029_NW_Prom_colour.jpg)
81.9 KB41 views
Old 06-08-2016, 05:37 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Hi Arthur ,
Nice pics, what telescope & camera are you using and how are you processing your pictures .
Regards philip
Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Arthur Coombs (Arthur)

Hi Phillip. Thanks for your interest. I use a 60-mm Coronado SolarMax telescope and project the image with a 17-mm Hyperion Eyepiece on to an Imaging Source DMK21AUO4.AS camera. Process the surface images in Autostakkert and Registax 5.
I use Registax 6 for the prominence images; combine surface and prominence images in Photoshop. I usually take 400 frames using the IS capture software and stack 30% in Autostakkert for the surface. I stack 50% for prominences in Registax. This procedure seems to work reasonably well for me.
As a matter of interest what do you do in processing? Regards, Arthur.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:23 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Hi Arthur ,
I have only recently started solar imaging using a 60mm Lunt H alpha telescope and up to now only used photoshop to enhance DS images . I Aquire images using an Orion starshoot pro autoguider/ planetary camera ( same chip as the ZWO ASI 120mm) and firecapture and stack them in registax 6 with wavelet sharpening. I then colourise them in Photoshop and try to combine surface and prominence images. Still trying to find the best way as I'm still rather "green" when using PS . I have put a few images in the beginners astrophotography section in the last few months. What's your technique for combining surface and prominence images?

Regards philip

Last edited by 5ash; 07-08-2016 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Add
Old 08-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Arthur Coombs (Arthur)

Hi Philip, I too are rather new having started solar Ha imaging March 2016. Highly recommend Autostakkert (free) which will place tiff images into your avi folder. When these images are opened in Registax 6, it will open at the wavelet section. do not over sharpen. Use Registax 6 for your prominence images; they place points along the edge of the disk automatically. In my experience, I find adding more points often bring up artefacts! Re PS; Paste the surface over the prominence image, select difference mode, click on move tool and use arrows to adjust. Go back to normal. Add a mask to the surface (top image blue), "ctrl I" to make it black. The prom image now on screen.
Use brush tool circle to move over prom, and up comes the surface. Crop, merge down and save. Not certain whether this is 100% correct method, but seems to work reasonably well. Kind regards, Arthur
Old 08-08-2016, 04:35 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)

Hi Arthur, Nice images - been cloudy up here but I also have been busy with another project. Regards, John W.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:39 PM
h0ughy (David)

great catch, i was following the filament at Astrofest but was thwarted at the last by missing two days through cloud. nice capture.

yet to process mine
Old 08-08-2016, 06:49 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Coombs View Post
Hi Philip, I too are rather new having started solar Ha imaging March 2016. Highly recommend Autostakkert (free) which will place tiff images into your avi folder. When these images are opened in Registax 6, it will open at the wavelet section. do not over sharpen. Use Registax 6 for your prominence images; they place points along the edge of the disk automatically. In my experience, I find adding more points often bring up artefacts! Re PS; Paste the surface over the prominence image, select difference mode, click on move tool and use arrows to adjust. Go back to normal. Add a mask to the surface (top image blue), "ctrl I" to make it black. The prom image now on screen.
Use brush tool circle to move over prom, and up comes the surface. Crop, merge down and save. Not certain whether this is 100% correct method, but seems to work reasonably well. Kind regards, Arthur
Thanks for the info Arthur , will try as you suggest.
Regards philip

Last edited by 5ash; 09-08-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Flipster (Phil)

Nice ones again Arthur!
Especially with the weather we've been having lately.
Cheers!
Phil
Old 10-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Arthur Coombs (Arthur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
great catch, i was following the filament at Astrofest but was thwarted at the last by missing two days through cloud. nice capture.

yet to process mine
Thanks for your comment; look forward to seeing your image. Regards Arthur
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Arthur Coombs (Arthur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W View Post
Hi Arthur, Nice images - been cloudy up here but I also have been busy with another project. Regards, John W.
Good day John, Only relatively short sunny breaks in Melbourne too, but have managed some reasonably interesting captures.
Cheers, Arthur