Old 09-05-2010, 06:11 PM
bokglob (Darrell)
ph0t0n3la5t3r

ccd cam help

If I am using a mono ccd cam without a filterwheel, do I need to use any kind off spacer or adapter? I've been trying to use the camera with an Ha filter, but something is very wrong. Target stars when trying to focus have what seem to be severe reflections and diffraction spikes( I'm using a refractor, no Hartman) and any lightframes taken are the same.ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. this is very different to using the dslr, and the learning curve is killing me!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:13 PM
jase (Jason)

Darrell, have you got some pics to upload as examples of what you are seeing? Are you actually reaching focus? Would recommend removing the Ha filter until you're certain focus is being reached with the imaging train configuration you have. Once certain you've reached focus i.e. tight and small valued FWHM figures obtained, give the Ha filter another go. Focusing Ha takes additional consideration given limited light transmission and lack of parfocal characteristics.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Darrell, remember your canon was 44mm from the front of the cam to the sensor, a ccd with no wheel is more like 17mm on average. You may need an extension tube to achieve focus.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
bokglob (Darrell)
ph0t0n3la5t3r

Thanks for the feedback guys,I think your right, it's got to be a focus issue. When using the canon, I use an extention tube,so I gather the chip needs to be at the same distance from the back of the telescope, regardless which camera I use, is this correct?