Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-03-2016, 10:03 PM
synthguy2 (Malcolm)

Post Light Pollution in Isaacs, ACT

Hi, I've just recently moved to a new house in Isaacs, ACT. Its a great house directly near Isaacs Ridge, but the only negative is that there is a street light situated right next to it, located on a side pathway to a bike path at the rear. The street light is a bright white one, and shines directly into my back patio garden, which is the only place I can really do astronomy - there is another yellow street light out the front. On the odd occasion the light is not working, the night sky is very good, but when it is working, the light pollution is obviously very bad, making astronomy difficult. No one uses that bike path at night, so from my perspective, this is unnecessary light pollution.

My question is whether I have the right to ask the city council either to turn that light off, or install some sort of light shade to block light going straight into my back patio? If so, is there some normal process or procedure I have to follow?

thanks!

Malcolm
Old 20-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Kunama

Hello Malcolm,
The chance of getting the light turned off is minimal but you may have luck getting it changed to a less intrusive downlight. Canberra Connect will give you a number to call for enquiries.
Old 24-03-2016, 03:59 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Depending on the position you could put up a temporary shade.

The ground light my prevent your eyes from fully dark acclimation but it is how dark your sky is that will be the main issue for what you see in the telescope.