Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Eli21 (Dave)

10x50 binos advice

Hi guys
New to astro - deciding between Celestron's new Cavalry 10x50s and Bushnell's Legacy 10x50 (both c.$200). Bushnell's light, FMC, good FOV, haven't held the Cavalry. If anyone owns either or can recommend a better pair for a little more money, please let me know. Orion 9x63s too costly for me. Thanks.
Old 16-07-2015, 09:42 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

both binos are around the $80 mark US, & close to 200+ retail in Aus -its a shame the AUD has fallen so much. normally i recommend either the pentax 10x50 or nikon action ext. 10x50 -but with our dollar both are much higher for us to buy.

both the models you are looking at will be a fairly plastic chinese bino; id much prefer the build quality of an old japanese made bino -check this one a japan made vixen, this swift unit would be even better -at a great price but you'd need to know what you are looking at when examine a bino which has most likely had rough use
the vintage tasco in this Ad will also most likely be good, much better then the chinese unit he is asking double the money for
Old 17-07-2015, 10:02 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I found http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/roseb...rs-/1083652003 these also -good glass ata great price [most of the russian optics stuff is 1 good uality 2. built very well so knocks don't harm it as much -the prisms stay lined up
Old 17-07-2015, 12:53 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Dave,

You should also consider the Pentax PCF WP II 10x50 binoculars, which are $239 from Bintel. You might find them $20 or $30 a pair cheaper from other retailers, but you probably won't get the same after sales support as you will from BINTEL; and you "may" be getting a grey market product without proper local warranty. I have used the PENTAX PCF series quite a bit over the years. I currently own them in 16 x 60's and previously owned a pair of 8 x 40's. I also have some Fujinons, Leupolds and Vixens. I have also previously owned some Steiners. As a value for money product they are very hard to beat. They are a quantum leap ahead of cheaper budget binoculars and not far behind the premium Japanese and German binoculars, costing 5 times the price, or more. They are sharp almost to the edge of field, have long eye relief, have high light throughput, give excellent neural colour reproduction, they are waterproof and nitrogen filled and come with a lifetime warranty. They throw up really nice bright clear images. If you google them you will find plenty of reviews most of which are extremely positive. If they have one negative point it is that their field of view is slightly narrow as compared to some other 10x50 binoculars. However, these are sharp almost to the edge and that's a better option for me than binoculars with a wider FOV but only sharp across 70% of it.

Cheers,
John B