Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-12-2009, 11:03 AM
andreas.jordan (Andreas)
City Dweller

Help! My Conundrum re Telescopes

Hello All,

A request from my better half to purchase a telescope for my 6yr old son has re-ignited my own interest in celestial observation. Of course I fell for the trap of buying a telescope without actually doing the proper homework first. I do have time to return the thing and purchase something different, however, now I am stuck!

I purchased a StarTracker 127mm telescope from DSE for $238 which based on a number of posts here are almost a complete waste of time. After reading many posts here as well as the 2-part guide on buying a telescope, the best course of action would be to get a pair of binoculars if limited by a strict budget. Of course, I would REALLY prefer to purchase a telescope. From what I've read, a dobsonian 6" would be the perfect entry level scope but of course these are $399 which for serious(ish) scopes this is likely a fantastic price. I see that the Australian Star and Telescope Magazine have a special on a Saxon F1149EQMS for $269 but am not sure if I would really be throwing even more money at something not worthwhile.

Ultimately, the best course of action is to attend a local astronomy club and borrow a scope. However, its my son's birthday on Boxing day and I am fast running out of time. Personally, I'm inclined to ride the inevitable wrath from the wife and buy the dobsonian.

So, after all that I have the choice...
1. Keep the startracker from DSE; OR
2. Return it, purchase the Saxon thats on special (sorry didn't catch the aperture size); OR
3. Go the full monty and spend an additional $150 on a skywatcher 6" dobsonian.

Apologies for the essay style thread.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:11 AM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.jordan View Post
Hello All,

A request from my better half to purchase a telescope for my 6yr old son has re-ignited my own interest in celestial observation. Of course I fell for the trap of buying a telescope without actually doing the proper homework first. I do have time to return the thing and purchase something different, however, now I am stuck!

I purchased a StarTracker 127mm telescope from DSE for $238 which based on a number of posts here are almost a complete waste of time. After reading many posts here as well as the 2-part guide on buying a telescope, the best course of action would be to get a pair of binoculars if limited by a strict budget. Of course, I would REALLY prefer to purchase a telescope. From what I've read, a dobsonian 6" would be the perfect entry level scope but of course these are $399 which for serious(ish) scopes this is likely a fantastic price. I see that the Australian Star and Telescope Magazine have a special on a Saxon F1149EQMS for $269 but am not sure if I would really be throwing even more money at something not worthwhile.

Ultimately, the best course of action is to attend a local astronomy club and borrow a scope. However, its my son's birthday on Boxing day and I am fast running out of time. Personally, I'm inclined to ride the inevitable wrath from the wife and buy the dobsonian.

So, after all that I have the choice...
1. Keep the startracker from DSE; OR
2. Return it, purchase the Saxon thats on special (sorry didn't catch the aperture size); OR
3. Go the full monty and spend an additional $150 on a skywatcher 6" dobsonian.

Apologies for the essay style thread.
I am just starting out my self but if I could I would spend the extra $150 and get the skywatcher 6" dobsonian.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:23 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

6" dob, Warren. Your wife will thank you in future when your son is in the backyard observing and posting his observations on IceinSpace and not running wild on the streets with the infamous bad company! A small price to pay!

ps. sell the DSE scope on Ebay if you need to recover some cash and they won't give a cash refund, otherwise it'll be OK for the Moon.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:36 AM
andreas.jordan (Andreas)
City Dweller

Thanks guys. My mind is made up. Dobsonian...here I come!
Old 22-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Another vote here for the dob. It is so easy to use (for both you and your 6 year old!!), and collects enough light to see every type of object.
Old 22-12-2009, 01:41 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Another vote for DOB here as well
Old 22-12-2009, 01:49 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

dob dob dob
Old 22-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Esseth (Alan)
Worse or better?

Agrees with the consensus, although the more you spend on it the more you will hate cloudy nights lol.

I have been waiting to take my dob out for a while now to have a look at Saturn, but clouds/rain and storms or early mornings the following morning means no such luck.
Old 22-12-2009, 03:54 PM
andreas.jordan (Andreas)
City Dweller

Thank you all for your kind advice. A dobsonian it will be. I managed to return the StarTracker telescope to DSE as they have a 14-day "Change of Mind" policy. Just have to wait a couple of weeks so it goes on the next credit card bill

Wishing you all a Merry Xmas and a safe Happy New Year.
Old 23-12-2009, 12:28 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Exclamation Lets make this a fun birthday!!!!

Hi Andreas,
What sized focuser has the Dob got?

If its a 2" I am gonna play Santa and GIVE you a couple of decent eyepieces..... to reduce the wrath of mum of course....

I've got a 7 year old myself and if astronomy does for your son what it did for me, and now my son, I would be delighted to help you along a bit.

PM me if you are interested. If the focuser is 1.25 inch, maybe someone has a suitable 2" kicking around collecting dust.

C'mon folks, think back
Old 06-01-2010, 01:45 PM
andreas.jordan (Andreas)
City Dweller

48 hours and counting till I can head to the Adelaide Optical Store and purchase the dob. It'd be tempting to go straight for the 8" but since I'll have the "better half" with me, unless they're extremely competatively priced, it'll still be a 6". Still, I shouldn't complain.

Re your question el_draco, from the specs it reads it has a 2" with a 1.25" adaptor. Thanks for the offer but I may need some time to ensure the "(astronomy) addiction takes a firm hold" post-purchase I wouldn't want you to waste your very kind gesture of giving away eyepieces to someone not worthy.