Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-09-2008, 01:45 PM
coffscoast

Another newbie!

I have a small Skywatcher & was hoping to upgrade to a bit bigger. Saw in the AS&T mag a good writeup on a Dobsonian. Would this be the way to go & are they easier to use than the mounted ones?
Old 18-09-2008, 02:29 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffscoast View Post
I have a small Skywatcher & was hoping to upgrade to a bit bigger. Saw in the AS&T mag a good writeup on a Dobsonian. Would this be the way to go & are they easier to use than the mounted ones?
Perhaps you could tell us which Skywatcher, and a pic?

"Would this be the way to go..." Depends on what you want to do - observe only? Observe what in particular - Moon, planets, stars, other deep space objects? Take photos through your telescope?

"are they [dobsonian mount] easier to use that the mounted [presumably EQ mount] ones?..........." Depends again. If all you want to do is point your scope at something that you want to observe and are happy to move it by hand to keep the object in the field of view as the earth rotates - yes, a dobsonian mounted reflector is easier. If you want your scope to find things for you (Goto) and then keep them in the field of view (track), then a basic dobsonian mount is not for you.

Try to get to a gathering next new moon and watch different types of scope in action.
Old 18-09-2008, 03:49 PM
coffscoast

Thank you Erick, it's a Skywatcher sw350 i've had for about 18 months. Saw the rings around Saturn as my first observation and can just make out Jupiter's, although rather blurily. I live on the Coast and do not have great viewing conditions. I thought a larger mm scope might just show these planets a bit clearer and some more detail in the popular nebula and clusters, etc.Won't be taking photos - have 15x70 Celestron binoculars which I use with a tripod, they are very good on a dark night. Thanks again for your advice - Margaret
Old 18-09-2008, 04:29 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Margaret

Sorry, I cannot work out which Skywatcher scope that is. I don't know them well, and cannot find that model with a search. Can you describe it a bit more - a refractor? Is it on an equatorial mount? It helps if we know exactly what you are using at present, then we can explain what a different scope might offer you.

Glad to hear you just want to look and not photograph. Make life a lot easier and your purse will breath a sigh of relief!

I'm sure you can achieve what you want with a modest investment in a new reflecting telescope.

Eric
Old 18-09-2008, 04:56 PM
cookie8 (Vincent)
Hooked since Halley's

Welcome to the forum Coffscoast. I had a 8" Dob(Newtonian) for 10 years mainly observe in my suburban Sydney backyard. Never regret having it. Set up in no time; no polar alignment;no cables and it gives views bright enough for both planetary and deep sky. An all-rounder in my opinion.Remember the best scope is the one that you would use most. And if you wanted to dabble into photography just add a webcam($100 including adapter) and a laptop & off you go.
Old 19-09-2008, 01:57 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

If you are into visual and afocal photography (through the eyepiece) then a dob will work for you. Later, if you decide you want tracking or go to you can remount it on an equatorial mount.
Old 20-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

HI coffscoast
Old 20-09-2008, 09:31 AM
coffscoast

Hi Eric, just found my way back to the forum, not used to this kind of communication and have trouble finding out how to reply! hope this works....sorry I have a SW450 114mm Newtonian reflector scope on EQ2 mount, 900mm focal length. I just find it hard to pack up and assemble again when I take it out bush to get some dark skies. Read an article in the Sept. AS&T that tested a Orion StarBlast 6 dobsonian. It read very well and only $395 but it seems other brand 8" scopes are not much dearer, I assume quality of scope comes in here.
Old 20-09-2008, 09:38 AM
coffscoast

thank you Vincent for your reply. Glad the 10" Dob has been great for you, I think the set up is the main thing for me at this time, which Gary Seronik in the AS&T mag. mentioned as a good point with the Orion StarBalst 6 Dob. scope. Would you recommend your brand of Dobsonian? and thanks for the photography advice. I thought only Hubble gave us the great shots until I started getting the AS&T mag with the readers astro photographs, wow!!
Old 20-09-2008, 09:52 AM
coffscoast

HI JEN!!
Old 20-09-2008, 11:27 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi again Margaret. Yes you have replies working fine.

Good, we know which scope now. Do you have the battery operated motor drive on that scope and are you using it to keep the object in the field of view? This is one capability you won't get with a dobsonian mount.

Since you currently have a 114mm aperture (mirror diameter) scope, you probably want to step up to a 200mm aperture to get a much better viewing experience, unless the size of this scope (an 8") is too big to handle. I'm suggesting that changing from 114mm to 150mm is not a big step.

Let's see what people suggest about which makes you might buy. Given you may need it shipped to you, the charge for delivery may be important in the choice of best deal.