Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 PM
James74

Filters for Meade ETX-125

Hi,
We are currently looking at purchasing a Meade ETX-125PE as our first telescope and are wondering whether we would benefit from purchasing filters and different eyepieces to start with. We understand that different coloured filters can enhance the viewing of different planetary features, but have not been able to find out what we are able to use with the Meade.

We have decided upon this telescope due to the ease-of-use factor and being beginners, to start off viewing planets.

Any assistance is much appreciated

Jennifer
Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
coldspace

Nice and fun telescope for using. I love mine, you will find the optics first class and on planets and lunar they are very sharp. Nothing better than to have tracking so you can study the detail alot more. In dark skies you will be able to make out a few brighter deep sky objects. Long focal length so you will find it good on planets but small field of view for other things.
I was suprised at the performance of this little scope as when viewing some various objects on average nights next to my 12 inch LX200R it stood its own.

For colour filters, I would not worry too much about these as I found them not really worthwhile on most occasions.
I would put your funds towards a sky glow filter such as the one Astronomic put out that suits smaller aperature scopes.
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm its the 1.25 inch UHC-E in the filter section.
you will find this filter excellent for added contrast and they have been designed for smaller aperature scopes. I use one and find it great in suburbia.

Regards Matt.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Hi Jennifer, and welcome to the madness. I hope you enjoy yourself.

No doubt you've scoured the beginners forums (fora?), and will have read innumerable times the near unanimous advice to join a club first, start off with basic equipment like binoculars and a star chart, and then try all types of other members' scopes before buying a dobsonian telescope (the usual recommendation). All good advice, by the way, but of course not universally applicable.

So assuming you've considered all these options and have decided that the ETX is nonetheless right for you, then let me say that it is a pretty good telescope. (At least, given the aperture.) It is certainly nice to have something that will follow the planets and moon as they move across the sky, especially if you are sharing a telescope between people.

Certainly wait until you've got your scope before plunging into accessories. I think it is possibly quite true that most people have bought a bunch of coloured filters — based on good sound logic and scientific principles — and yet never use them. Probably you will decide first to upgrade your eyepieces, but see what you think of the ones you get with the scope (I assume you get one or two), and then try some others from club members. Eyepieces can be a bottomless pit, we all go through phases of acquiring far too many of them, and then we usually end up with just two or three that we use all the time. You'll see a heap on sale second hand, and that is a good way to try them, since you won't lose much when you decide to resell them.

Honestly, I suspect the things you will first want to spend money on will be pretty mundane things like red torches, star charts, a comfy seat, an external battery pack, and almost certainly a flexifocus or similar to replace the focuser knob.

Good luck, and welcome again.

Regards,

Brian.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 PM
James74

Thanks very much for your replies, it is greatly appreciated!
Matt, you've reinforced our decision on the ETX-125, we are confident we are making the right choice for us at the moment.
Thanks so much for your advice regarding filters, that's exactly the information we needed at this time.

Jennifer & James
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Good advice indeed!

The only suggestions I have for initial additions to ETX bundled eyepieces are:
- a moon filter ($10 to $15)
- a good introductory book on astronomy to aid fast learning (there are heaps)

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi James74,

I too have the ETX125 and agree - it's a great scope in many ways. Bit of a shame you didn't decide you wanted one a couple of months ago when they were about $400 cheaper

I tend to agree that colour filters probably won't get used that much, - so there are loads of better things to spend your money on. Certainly the items that Brian and Jeff have suggested are pretty essential.

Good luck with your new toy when you get it

Cheers,