Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Ford Prefect (James)
Starhopper

Yet another n00b help me choose thread

Hi all,

I'll cut to the chase - I'm considering either a 12" GSO dob, or a Skywatcher 8" Newt with a tracking HEQ5 mount.

I'm interested in DSOs, but I also have a Canon 300D, so I have an interest in dabbling in astrophotography too. The 12" dob gives me great bang for buck in terms of aperture, but it's heavy, not very portable, and doesn't track. The 8" Newt on a HEQ5 presumably can carry the Canon for photography, but it's a GEM, so it's more difficult to set up, and it's a much smaller aperture.

Thoughts? Is there much I'm not likely to see with the 8"? I'm leaning toward it for the photography and portability, but I'm worried that I'll go to look at stuff and find that I'm struggling to see it and then wish I got the 12" dob. Any advice or comment is welcome
Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

12" dob for viewing, great. 8" newt on a HEQ5 for imaging?, heading for grief. Tracking wont cut it, guiding is a different world of pain, more money... much more.

You said cut to the chase. Go for a much shorter FL if you want to image on an HEQ5 mount, or chose a better one, mount is ALL for imaging. different worlds.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

why not get a 10" on an eq6
Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Tandum (Robin)

James, I've had several 8" scopes but I just got a 12" dob and it just sucks in so much more light and the views are so much more vivid it's fantastic, but. Mounting that 12" beast on an eq mount to take photos is really hard. I need tube rings from the UK and now we are talking big bucks just to get them here.

If I did it all again, I'd look for a 10" anything on an eq6 goto. Then worry about comma etc etc later. How much do you have to spend? That sort of sorts out the problem
Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Ford Prefect (James)
Starhopper

$1200 budget guys, EQ6/goto is out of the question. Sounds like I'd better go with the dob and forget about the photography...

Last edited by Ford Prefect; 09-11-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Hi James, and welcome.

Have you joined the AST
http://ast.n3.net/

Their website still mentions that they have viewing nights every Friday evening at Mt Canopus. If these are still on, these can be good opportunities to see some equipment in action.

Cheers,

Brian.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Ford Prefect (James)
Starhopper

Hi Brian - thanks, yes I'm aware, although not (yet) a member of the AST. I'm currently doing their introductory course, although the first night of the course was hampered by complete cloud cover

Incidentally, on the subject of clouds, can anyone tell me if there is a seasonality associated with cloud formation? It seems that the last few weeks have been very claggy, just wondering if it's a spring thing?

Anyway - I took the plunge and ordered the 12" dob! I'd pretty much already settled on this anyway several weeks ago after plenty of research, just the 8"er tempted me at the last minute with tracking. My new baby arrives at the end of this week or more likely early next week, courtesy of Andrews Comms.

Can anyone recommend a good beginner/intermediate sky atlas? I'm not sure I want to splash out on the full Uranometria/Nortons/Millennium for $200-300

I'm considering either Atlas of the Southern Skies or Night Sky Observers Guide vol 3. Can anyone comment on the quality/worth of these two? Or suggest something better? I have Stellarium/Cartes du Ciels, but I prefer the feel of paper in my fingers, and would rather not be forced to use the laptop.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi James,

I've found the Atlas of the Southern Night Sky to be a great starting point as it has an achievable selection of targets for each constellation and some pictures that help you to know that you've found your target. I am now enjoying Sky Atlas 2000, but would have found it a bit overwhelming a year ago. And I still use both.

I also reckon a 12" newt is a bit hard to go past, except for perhaps a 16"...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Tandum (Robin)

The big DOB will show you heaps but they are a handfull to move around. I bought a trolly from supercheap auto for $30. I use The Sky on a laptop for charts.

You can still do planetary photography with the DOB using a webcam or similar. Something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (trolly.jpg)
48.5 KB30 views

Last edited by Tandum; 12-11-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Two fifty or Three hundred Dob?

A 300 mm was my first choice, but after careful consideration with weight and size and ease of transportation in a small vehicle, I settled on the 250mm and havn't been disappointed. See the attached. The GSO scope was stripped and modified into a truss mounted dob I call my 250 Light Bucket, which is fully described in the equipment section of IIS.
The Clavius image was captured Saturday last. The first clear sky in a month and that only lasted for a few hours!

The scope has remote focus - the control to this is in the tray on the side. The platform control sits on the Computer table beside the scope. Illuminated Finder scope and a laser finder. Tube handles removed when the scope has been aligned to the SCP and raised level on the 4x adjustable steel tube supports. The platform is locked down with 4x folding supports for transporting. Its big and heavy but a magnificent telescope! And the DMK 21 mono equally so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PLATFORM  SETUP.jpg)
76.6 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (PLATFORM DRIVE.jpg)
79.7 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (Clavius Nov 8.jpg)
48.8 KB33 views
Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Hi James,
The frustrating thing about astronomy in Tassie is that, just when you think the weather is going to be perfect, forestry do another burnoff. (I guess it is perfect for that, too.)
Cheers,
Brian.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Wavytone

Simple - aperture rules, as long as you can move it. Get the 12".
Old 18-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Ford Prefect (James)
Starhopper

Well, off to collect my new dob from the couriers in 10 mins.. big Kev excited!

Unfortunately the forecast is for rain (and obviously cloud) for the next week, so I'll have plenty of time to fine-tune the collimation and align the finderscope before first light
Old 18-11-2008, 05:21 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

What didya get? 12" dob? Who from? How does it look?
Old 18-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Well, off to collect my new dob from the couriers in 10 mins.. big Kev excited!

Unfortunately the forecast is for rain (and obviously cloud) for the next week, so I'll have plenty of time to fine-tune the collimation and align the finderscope before first light
I can imagine a lot of wistful looking at the scope!
Old 18-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Ford Prefect (James)
Starhopper

Well at the moment I'm looking at a 12" tube surrounded by parts of a mount that appears to have no assembly instructions!

EDIT: hold fire, found 'em. Mind you, looking at them, this is going to be a long and tedious operation...

Erick: yes, 12" GSO dob from Andrews. Looks pretty schmicko
Old 18-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

James

ummm,,, Im confused, you mounting that on an EQ5?, gunna take pics?, or just for viewing?
Old 18-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Ford Prefect (James)
Starhopper

Nope, gave up on the equatorial option and went with a dob for viewing.

Although I'm quite happy to give your G11 a new home...
Old 18-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Ford Prefect (James)
Starhopper

Ok, now I'm a little shirty.

I was rather unimpressed to attached the handle to the mount, give it a little shake and have it pull right off the mount, screw sockets and all (pic 3). Mind you, I'm not entirely sure what this handle is for, I certainly wouldn't lift the mount with it!

Now I've got the mount assembled. I went to attach the trunnions (pic 1) to the OTA, but I'm not sure what to do. The fittings on the side of the OTA (pic 2) have bolts in them, going into hex lock nuts. But they're so tight, I can't budge them!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMGP1085s.jpg)
192.4 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (IMGP1087s.jpg)
169.4 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (IMGP1088s.jpg)
179.8 KB18 views

Last edited by Ford Prefect; 18-11-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 19-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Tandum (Robin)

The dob mounts truely are crap. If they used craftwood instead of chipboard they would be far better.

Mine is a bit old school at the hinge, it has a big spring. RTFM I guess

Also note mine hasn't moved since the last image as it's still frigging raining .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (spring.jpg)
29.7 KB13 views