Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-02-2024, 09:52 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Wanderer Power Box v.2?

Hello,

Is anyone successfully using this device. Mine will not reliably connect. When it fails to connect the com ports in Device manager flash and the required ports cannot be selected when starting the console (which manages all wanderer products). A few days ago I downloaded new console software and a new USB driver and it worked fine, or so it seemed. I tested it several times after reboots and hibernation. Of course, tonight, I'm back to square one.

If anyone knows a solution, please let me know!

EDIT: Next day. I now have it working, hopefully long term! I have two wanderer devices, the Ultimate Box V.2, and the V.3 cover with flat light source. The Cover was plugged into the USB port of the UBox, thus two serial ports should show in Device Manager. Unplugging the Cover USB, the UBox assigns the port immediately and doesn't cause flashing in the Device Manager. My initial though was the Cover might be defective, however, plugging the cover directly into my FitPC on the mount computer works fine. This is fortunate because the cover needs high USB current to run (it has no other source of power) and a lot of USB sources will not run the Cover. So, oddly, there is some sort of driver conflict when both Wanderer devices attempt to connect via the UBox.

I'll expand this thread if the problem resurfaces.

EDIT #2: After writing to the company they admit that the V.2 box has issues with certain devices connected (such as their own motorized cover) and the V.2 has been replaced by a completely redesigned V.3 model. I've been offered a discount to upgrade. I suppose that is fair, though after admitting the defect I think there ought to be more of a trade-in policy or outright exchange.

Thanks,

Peter

Last edited by PRejto; 20-02-2024 at 07:41 AM.
Old 20-02-2024, 11:51 AM
Paul Haese

We have a few of these units and found that it needs to be powered up on both power ports to provide enough power for several items such as camera and focusers etc. We are using a 20amp power supply too. For the price I would have expected fewer problems though.
Old 21-02-2024, 10:20 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Paul,

Yes, I found the same...it needs power into both ports. I'm going to upgrade to V.3 It is disappointing that V.2 has these issues. Would you like another one at a very fair price?

Peter
Old 05-03-2024, 10:03 AM
Paul Haese

Hi Peter,

if I had my time again I would probably buy more of the Pegasus ones we have rather than the Wanderer Astro stuff. Those are more reliable in my opinion.

I'll pass on the offer.