Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-07-2012, 05:51 PM
LAW (Murphy)

8" Newt + EQ5 + ???

Hey guys, it's been a while since I started lurking on here and I've managed to aquire an 8" Skywatcher Newt, an EQ5 and a 20mm Meade Plossl but as I haven't been able to use the scope yet (waiting for the mount to arrive) I don't know what else I should be looking at.

Presumably a collimator is in order, I have a small finder scope and red-dot finder but I don't know what kind of eyepeices this thing can deal with? The Andrews 2" 70 degree range look nice.
I was thinking of getting a midrange Andrews eyepiece (probably the 13mm) and a 2x Barlow to get a fairly wide effective range from 2 eyepieces. Is that how it works or am I over-simplifying it?

I'll be starting off with visual observing but I have a few SLRs here which may end up getting Frankensteined into dedicated astronomy cameras so I'll probably need a 3x barlow and filters later on but for now am I on the right track?
Old 29-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

is it only a EQ5...or a HEQ5...

bit small i think for an 8 inch newt to be sitting on...maybe for visual it'll be alright...
Old 29-07-2012, 06:38 PM
alistairsam

Hi Murphy,

Is the EQ5 a goto one?

If not, the 8" Newt is on the right track, but the EQ5 is not ideal for visual obs. it'll end up in very weird positions. But it is a start nevertheless.
frustrating bit will be trying to point it somewhere but rotating ra and dec axes.

Best viewing eyepieces are 15 to 26mm. any shorter than that, it'll be difficult to hone in on targets as the fov will be very small. Plus they won't stay in the FOV for more than a few seconds in a non-tracking mount.

if you're handy at wood work, you could make yourself a simple Dob mount for the same newt. should cost less than $50 all up and is a lot more convenient for viewing. Something like Alex's mount here.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=56400
I made a similar mount with spare wood I had lying around.

astrophotography is a whole different ball game. But even before that, make the best of what you have to learn the skies and do some afocal photography of the planets.

you'll need the barlow for planets, but get the apo ones, not the achro, as they tend to be fuzzy.
Else get the 6 or 9mm TMB widefield planetary eyepieces that come up often in the classifieds.

good luck.
Old 29-07-2012, 07:04 PM
LAW (Murphy)

Sorry, should have mentioned that the EQ5 has motor drives and while I am a complete n00b with my current setup I did spend a lot of time in the school observatory a few years ago. Ra and Dec shouldn't be a problem once I've got my head around it all again.

The EQ5 was what I was recommended?

I figured the 20mm would be a good start then I would use the shorter one for getting a closer look?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Varangian (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAW View Post
Sorry, should have mentioned that the EQ5 has motor drives and while I am a complete n00b with my current setup I did spend a lot of time in the school observatory a few years ago. Ra and Dec shouldn't be a problem once I've got my head around it all again.

The EQ5 was what I was recommended?

I figured the 20mm would be a good start then I would use the shorter one for getting a closer look?
I have the same mount and the same sized Newt except in the Saxon line. It's true that if you expect to point and shoot a Dob is better but the Newt will keep you learning for years and that aperature size will allow you to see plenty. I am happy to focus on say 2 objects in a night of viewing rather than swinging around the sky. The motor drive really helps keeping planets in my field of view and it also helps me pan very slowly when I know I am in the general vicinity of a DSO. Ultimately though it will assist you with finding every Messier object in the sky through the RA and Dec coords. A geat way to learn your way around the night sky and far more rewarding when you find one than using a GOTO system (in my opinion).

For wide field EPs (i.e. viewing Nebs/clusters) I have a 2" 30mm GSO 68 degree widefield ($49 from Andrews - a great purchase at a great price), a 2" 15mm Andrews branded eyepiece ($80 second-hand from IIS classifieds or $169 from Andrews). For Lunar and planetary observation I have 2" 8mm Hyperion with a 2" 2x barlow. I am considering selling the barlow and purchasing a 3.5m Hyperion, I am a little concenrned about the heady mag on this EP though. Happy viewing.