Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-08-2016, 12:29 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Decent finderscopes?

I want to get a replacement finderscope for my OTA. The one I got is crap and so fiddly to use.

Any recommendations? I would want something very light and simple to use.
Old 16-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Kunama

Depends on the style you're after, RACI, STRAIGHT, CORRECTED STRAIGHT, RDF......
I use a Baader SkySurferV or a Telrad only.....
The Kokusai Kohki Corrected image straight 8x50 is very nice as are the Stellarvue F50 and the many rebranded versions...
Old 16-08-2016, 01:19 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

the William optics 6x30 is a light but decent unit with good light -I reckon the thing with finders is too find a good solid bracket with set screws
Old 16-08-2016, 03:52 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Straight or right angled would be ideal.
Old 16-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
Straight or right angled would be ideal.
The Kokusai Kohki correct image 8x50 is very sharp, has a decent reticle and pretty good illuminator.
Old 16-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I agree with Matt’s comments re the straight through Kokusai Kohki correct image 8x50. I have one for detailed difficult star hopping combined with a Teleview Star Beam.
When you comment you are looking for a “light weight” finder, what do you have in mind? The Kokusai Kohki with rings and support bracket weighs 700 gms.

Steve.
Old 17-08-2016, 06:06 AM
Malcolm

If you can source a mount, I have an 8 x 50 straight through finder off a skywatcher you can have for postage cost. It's pretty scratched up and missing the thin o-ring. Optics are fine.
Old 17-08-2016, 10:05 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

I probably should have mentioned that with the straight through one that came with the OTA is very fiddly to use.

When adjusting the knobs on it they get tight very quickly and is impossible to adjust.
Old 17-08-2016, 10:20 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
I probably should have mentioned that with the straight through one that came with the OTA is very fiddly to use.

When adjusting the knobs on it they get tight very quickly and is impossible to adjust.
Sounds like all finders to me - if you need more adjustment, you loosen one or both of the other adjustment screws so that you can get more movement.

With a standard finder in the industry standard base, you can make more adjustment than you think.

Simply put Stefan, it sounds like you aren't doing it right.

If you don't understand how to adjust the finder properly, maybe get a red dot or Telrad (but you still need to adjust them too)
Old 17-08-2016, 10:33 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Here's the Takahshi procedure straight from the manual. It is no different to other finder systems like with your S-C

· Alignment Procedure
1.Place a low power eyepiece in the tele-scope and center a bright star in a convenient part of the sky. Do not for-get to engage the motor drive to keep the star centered. If this procedure is done in daylight, use an object that is at least one mile away. Loosen the lock nuts on the finder bracket and slightly move the star to the center of the field using the adjusting align¬ment screws.
2.Then use a higher magnification eye-piece and repeat the procedure by cen-tering the object in the field of view of the telescope and then the finder. Continue this process until the high¬est possible magnification has been used.

Finally, tighten the lock nuts and lock¬ing screws. If the object moves slightly, adjust alternately tighten and loosen the locking nuts until the object stays in the center.
41 Adjusting Screw Procedure
1.Turn all the lock nuts until they reach the head of the alignment screws.
View Field of Telescope Fig.10

2. In order to move the crosshair in the direction of the arrow, first loosen screw (a) and tighten (push) the finder with screw (c). This procedure will move the crosshair in the desire di¬rection. The top of the finder will move in the opposite direction and the object will move in the direction of the smaller arrow.
Refer to Fig.9.
3. In a similar fashion the direction of the movement of the finder is made by adjusting the three screws.
Learn the relationship between the move-ment of the three adjusting screws. If the finder cannot be moved in the de¬sired direction, loosen the locking nuts.

[EDIT: most cheap finders do not utilise the locking nuts, but it is not important - just adjust the 3 screws]
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (finder.jpg)
27.7 KB21 views
Old 17-08-2016, 11:03 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Had a similar problem on my 8" GSO dob. So I made sure the finder was centred in its bracket with all screws looking about even (resulting in it being way off target), then loosened the 2 bolts connecting the finder bracket to the OTA and aligned it that way, as well as I could. All that was needed after that was a minor tweak up top and - sorted!
Old 23-08-2016, 12:13 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Will need to give it another go!