Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:55 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

The amateur astronomers good news story of the year.

This is a good news story to counter all those disasters many of us (including me) have experienced when our neighbour or nearby business has erected lighting that encroaches or in some case ruins our night sky

As many of you are aware, I have my little slice of heaven located in a lovely rural setting several km's beyond the Canberra city limits, so it enjoys rather dark skies and more importantly a 360deg horizon that is free of any bright lights, with just the odd distant porch light (that look essentially like stars) that cause no issue and are all usually off by midnight anyway.

Earlier this year I noticed a very, very bright light in the distance to my north east, it would stay on all night and is bright enough to light up my observatory with a noticeable glow, cast a clear shadow and leave a spot in my eye if I looked at it and closed my eyes . Needless to say and while not a game changing Bunnings development (sorry Houghy) this was quite disappointing.

The light was clearly on the site of a nearby Boral quarry located some 3km from my observatory

I waited a few months to see if it would go away...but alas no cigar. I mulled over what to do, thought come on Mike it's not that bad just think of Houghy and Grady et al...but nup I just got more annoyed and more annoyed, how dare they put a blemish on my near perfect surroundings by casting unnecessary light across 3km!!!!

So yesterday (Sunday) I decided to pen an email to the manager of the mine, I just logged on to their website to get the contact and set about composing a polite email about who I am, what I do, where I am, and what the issue was, asking if the lights could be slightly redirected or shaded etc...easy enough huh? Well I wasn't holding out hope that a mine manager would give a toss about an amateur astronomer 3km away who had discovered a galaxy blah, blah, blah ..but you never know until you try

Well to my pleasant surprise I got a phone call this morning from Scott the mine manager and he was incredibly understanding, excited that an observatory was nearby, knew what the issue was and was going to rectify it immediately. Basically they have a big bank of LED lights for night maintenance but they are on timers to come on for scheduled night maintenance but these timers had failed. He said he has asked his sparky to investigate immediately and fix it by fixing the timers to put the lights back on timer to turn off at 9:30pm Mon, Tues and Thurs nights and not come on at all on other nights. Scott said he aimed to have it rectified by Monday and told me to provide him feedback and to let him know if that was acceptable and if not (seriously!) to let him know if he needed to go a bit harder with less lighting

I was so happy I told him I wanted to hug him

So there ya go...hopefully the bright light that was causing me restless nights will be a thing of the past now and my 360deg dark horizon will be restored

Still beaming....

Mike
Old 15-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Woohoo!

H
Old 15-05-2017, 11:15 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Good stuff Mike! Maybe you could invite him and a couple of mates for a look and you'll have the mine totally on your side. Cheers, Richard.
Old 15-05-2017, 11:24 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Great result, Mike

You could get a kickass PA and serenade the maintenance folks on Mon, Tue and Thur evenings as a big thank you
Old 15-05-2017, 11:25 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Well done Mike, but also, well done to Scott - we need more of his type of thinking all round.
Old 15-05-2017, 11:28 AM
glend (Glen)

That is a great result Mike. I wish his attitude was more widespread, perhaps its a rural thing.
Old 15-05-2017, 11:29 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Pretty cool uh? Already thought about that Richard, a good idea and Ricki..I don't need a PA mate ...after a coupl'a beers, I can hit a big B flat/high C and hold it long enough to make dogs bark 3km away....

Mike
Old 15-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Yay! A win for the good guys
Old 15-05-2017, 11:41 AM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

good news

That's great news. Has inspired me to email the local council about the megawatt night time lights they have installed which ruin my NW horizon now. (on the municipal recycling/tip site)
Graham
Old 15-05-2017, 12:38 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham.hobart View Post
That's great news. Has inspired me to email the local council about the megawatt night time lights they have installed which ruin my NW horizon now. (on the municipal recycling/tip site)
Graham
Good for you and good luck
Old 15-05-2017, 12:55 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Hmmm...reckon I can ask Canberra Airport Corporation to turn off the runway lights, taxiway lights, tower lights, hazard beacons, RAAF Fairbairn hanger lights.... just for a few hours on clear nights....

Err, didn't think so

Good for you Mike. Now if you'd just share that dark sky site with a fellow imager
Old 15-05-2017, 01:29 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Bah! You probably showed him a picture of you (in you former power lifting glory) and told him you'd bend him out of shape if he didn't comply!

Nice story though!
Old 15-05-2017, 02:17 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

He he Marcus, nah I was just accurate and honest, didn't embellish anything just described the situation as it is...and surprisingly that seems to have been enough?

Good luck with that Lewis, not sure even a photo of me in good shape would help you there ...maybe a picture of the Hwasong-12

Mike
Old 15-05-2017, 02:54 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Hmmm...Matt is as tall as a Hwasong-12
Old 15-05-2017, 05:55 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Excellent news. Maybe some other members could email the bloke to let him know peoples is watching...
Old 16-05-2017, 09:51 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

A good demonstration of the benefits of a measured and mature communication approach Mike! Glad it's worked out.
Old 16-05-2017, 09:51 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Excellent news. Maybe some other members could email the bloke to let him know peoples is watching...
I got the distinct impression that he was just a genuine normal intelligent person who could see the situation for what it was and is doing what is more than reasonable to resolve it....ridiculous really that other people who are approached about such things see it differently and get defensive Just a neighbourly thing to do really huh? (I still feel very lucky)

Mike
Old 16-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Great good-news story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 16-05-2017, 08:33 PM
willilamwgn (William)

There are still some good people out there!
Old 16-05-2017, 08:58 PM
DarkArts

That is good news. There's hope for civilisation yet.