Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-08-2007, 04:41 PM
ispom
admirer of the sky

Lee, I wish you a lot of clear skies for watching the stars from your observing place !
Old 20-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Seriously, it looks real good and as a non-builder type, I would say better than a professional. Why? I am glad you asked. You won't be able the see the floor frame work once the floor is secured, and yet you have made the effort to make everything neat and tidy, unlike the builders efforts on my last house, anything not visible was untidy and I sometimes wonder as to the stability of the structure whenever the wind picks up.
Thanks everyone for your compliments so far!
You aren't wrong though about some tradies now though.... my father is a master builder back in Queensland, and is where I get my advice from. If he were down here, I'd be helping him build it... He is old school, and takes pride in the smaller details - sadly lacking in many today though. I could tell you heaps of stories..... I have the advantage of 1. unlimited free advice and 2. having spent my childhood (and lots of adulthood also) watching how its supposed to be done.

The obs will be built just like a house, and given its small size, will be a safer place in a cyclone than in the house I'm sure .... The post supports are designed for tropical areas for wind.... over-engineering is my motto.

I spotted a nice forgotten stack of CCA treated MGP-15 rated (F8 - high strength) pine at Bunnings yesterday, and its all nice and straight (shock!) - off to grab it now!

Gary - where are the pics???
Old 20-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

85 metres of timber later! I'm ready to build me some wall frames! Not a bad haul for my little 4*6 trailer!
Old 20-08-2007, 09:14 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmodium View Post
85 metres of timber later! I'm ready to build me some wall frames! Not a bad haul for my little 4*6 trailer!
Aha so it was you that made it rain....... looking forward for the result - hope you are keeping a tally on the expenses

Old 20-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Expenses..... don't want to know! Rain - wait until its finished, then we'll get another monsoon weekend like in June....
Old 21-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Quote:
Gary - where are the pics???
Havn`t taken many pics of its construction only one a month ago. Just taken another one today. Had a good 200mm of rain dumped on it the last 2 days!! had much fun keeping the tarp up in all the rain and wind.. to protect the plywood floor.
Hopefully get a roof on in the next month...

Glad bunnings had straight stuff for you...up here it all looks dog-legged..
cheers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (observ-july.jpg)
119.8 KB84 views
Click for full-size image (observ-21Aug.jpg)
110.8 KB84 views
Old 21-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Sorry to interrupt your thread Lee.

Gary could you tell me the product you have used for the walls and if it is in sheet form, it looks good.

David
Old 21-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Looks nice Gary - so does your location! I bet its dark too...... What size obs are you constructing?
I've used 19mm ext ply for my floor, have cut it to shape, primed/sealed - going to topcoat it before I put it out to protect somewhat from rain. Will still cover it if it rains.
I have some time off next week, should get my walls and rails, and maybe roof done then.... fingers crossed!

Bunnings' timber can be a bit ordinary, so can anyones really ..... I leave the doglegs for the less discerning punters though! You really need to handpick each piece....
Old 21-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamtarn View Post
Sorry to interrupt your thread Lee.

Gary could you tell me the product you have used for the walls and if it is in sheet form, it looks good.

David

Hi David, Thanks i think it`s was called Panel clad, a James Hardie product. Comes as 2400 x 1200 x 6mm sheets similar to fibro but with the timber panel look to it!
cheers

Quote:
Looks nice Gary - so does your location! I bet its dark too...... What size obs are you constructing?
I've used 19mm ext ply for my floor, have cut it to shape, primed/sealed - going to topcoat it before I put it out to protect somewhat from rain. Will still cover it if it rains.
I have some time off next week, should get my walls and rails, and maybe roof done then.... fingers crossed!

Bunnings' timber can be a bit ordinary, so can anyones really ..... I leave the doglegs for the less discerning punters though! You really need to handpick each piece....
Thanks Lee, yes I have fairly dark skies at home which I do enjoy!!
Made the obs 2.4m x 3m with 1.5m high walls to give me a good view of the sky. I wish I used a nice ply like you did as I only used 12mm normal ply. Even with the 300mm centres it is not strong enough as you can feel it flex as you walk around on it. Have to lay down another layer of it to get a nice firm floor. Would have been better off paying the extra and go with that construction ply like you..oh well a lesson learn`t..
cheers
Old 21-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyh View Post
Hi David, Thanks i think it`s was called Panel clad, a James Hardie product. Comes as 2400 x 1200 x 6mm sheets similar to fibro but with the timber panel look to it!
cheers
Thanks Gary

We are trying to put some ideas together for an observatory, hopefully to be started later in the year.

David
Old 21-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Gary - I suppose there's a reason houses use 19mm sheets for flooring! My floor frame has a slight flex in it as yet, I suspect its as you walk on a joist your entire weight is on just one joist, I think it will be much more solid once the ply is screwed/glued down and your weight spreads out.
Anyway - its an observatory, not a dance floor.....
Old 22-08-2007, 10:16 AM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Hi Lee

I found that I had to put in 2 further supports for the joists (see attachment) to stop that springing in the floor, totally eliminated any movement. With the Dome I had to use compressed fibro sheeting for the floor.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC00029-copy (Medium).jpg)
108.2 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (DSC00031 (Large).JPG)
144.3 KB41 views

Last edited by JohnG; 22-08-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 22-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

I did think of that, but after everything was concreted - don't relish the idea of digging between the joists, it is very minor springiness and doesn't bother me anyway.....
Old 25-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Some plans

I've mounted the G-11 on the pier to work out wall/roof heights.... decided on 1750mm high walls. The scope will see everything worth looking at with this height, and with the height of the castors, will give an internal closed roof ceiling height of 1850mm.... no thumped foreheads for us.

The gable roof rafters are going to be fashioned from 190x35 pine, cut with a 5deg pitch - a more expensive, and slightly heavier approach, but easier for me to keep square etc, and will be very sturdy. A layer of 9mm ply over the rafters to dust proof the roof, then corrugated iron over this for protection.

I am going to run castors directly on the wall top plates, with the overlapping roof-sides sheeting stopping lateral movement. The roof will be secured down with bolts through the wall top plate/roof bottom plates, or with turnbuckles.

Just need some sunshine now....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (obs-end-view.jpg)
62.2 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (obs-front-view.jpg)
63.8 KB35 views
Old 25-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

looks like a very solid roof Lee!
Havn`t decided how to make my roof as yet, your idea has given me some more to think about but...
Look forwards to the next stage!
cheers
Old 29-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Some more progress today.... a couple of wall frames and the floor..... piece of 50mm PVC for cables to the pier. Think I'm developing a hernia lifting those wall frames into place!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (plumbing.jpg)
140.1 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (2walls.jpg)
128.8 KB74 views
Old 30-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Topher
Stargazer since breakfast

Lee, that is why builders have apprentices. They just watch, while the humble appy struggles to please the lord and master.

You are still doing a fantastic job. Neat can't be beat! Are you available for contract work in a year or so? Keep up the good work and I hope the rain holds off until you get to the "lock-up" stage. All the best,

Chris

Last edited by Topher; 30-08-2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Word change
Old 30-08-2007, 04:31 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

This project look like so much fun! I would love to do this.

Well done!

Old 30-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Thanks guys..... It is a very enjoyable/rewarding project - more than I have ever done solo before that's for sure. I would recommend it to anyone. My little 6x4 box trailer doesn't know what's hit it!
Finished the wall framing today.... rails tomorrow.... roof on weekend.....
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Walls/roof/rails......

Nearly there! I had a stint off work last week, so got through the wall framing, and erected the rails also. The roof frame has been fabricated, but not sheeted yet.... of course it has rained all week!

Finally got a coat of paint on late this afternoon, of course with the cool conditions it still isn't touch dry (3 hours later!) - Here's hoping it remains clear tonight....

Hopefully will have a functional obs in a week or two.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (4walls.jpg)
142.4 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (rails.jpg)
162.9 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (inside.jpg)
131.6 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (first-coat.jpg)
92.1 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (roof-frame2-sm.jpg)
135.0 KB48 views