Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-11-2007, 03:54 AM
callingrohit (Vivek)
enthusiastic newbie

Celestron Vs Skywatcher

Hello all,This is my first post in this forum. I have spent almost 5 hours reading through a lot of posts in regards to telescope and astrophotgraphy. I would really appreciate if someone could give me their expert option in regards to which of the following is better for general astronomy use and astrophotography. celestron powerseeker 127 EQ (1000mm) (single-axis RA motor drive) Vs skywatcher 130 EQ2 (900mm) (singles-axis RA motor drive w/ hand-controller).I'm very confused since I'm very very newbie in the field of astronomy and need help in making a decision among these two. Eagerly waiting for replies. Do forgive me if i have posted in the wrong topic. Thanksvivek
Old 17-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

in answering to your question with regards to astrophotography,either scope will probably work, its the mount that will be the critical factor, in all honesty its a $ question the more you spend the better you get, my MINIMUM would be an EQ 6 and would have drives on both axis..... probably not what you want to hear but to get the pretty pictures is a very involved proceedure (guidescopes, guiding cameras or off axis guiders, cameras and the list goes on), if you are serious about taking pictures go to a club or a star party and absorb as much info as you can from others... look at the quality they are producing ..... before you part with volumes of money.

i learnt the hard way buying three scopes and mounts before getting results i was happy with.

on a less serious note welcome
Old 17-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Neither of these scopes would be suitable. As Alchemy says above you would quickly find how unsuitable they are, especially for astrophotography. Mounts are important, they need to be rigid to dampen vibrations quickly and knowing those scopes I doubt very much they would do that as they are rather lightweight. And you will need dual axis drives. Single axis RA only drives are really only good for visual observing activities, where it doesn't matter so much if there is a bit of slow drift.

The best advice I ever saw was something like this:
1) Choose the mount
2) then choose the camera
3) choose telescope last to suit camera.

Its hard sometimes to make people understand what is needed and why people go to so much expense if they are serious about imaging, but I guess some people just can't wait, and they are usually the people who end up spending more than they had to than if they'd slowed down just a little.

It's also depends on what kind of imaging you want to do. If you want to do everything you're probably going to need several different cameras and mounts!
Old 17-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Jarrod
Professor Chaos

hi, and welcome to IIS.

the mounts that these scopes come on are so flimsy that they are not capable of the smooth motion needed for astrophography. as has been said, you could spend $1000+ and get yourself a real nice set up, but im thinking your on a tight budget if your looking at these cheapies.

i dont think its a good idea to get straight into astrophotography, there's a lot to learn. i had astrophotography in mind when i was looking at getting my first scope, but its been a year, and all ive done is taken a few pics of the moon with a webcam. so i recommend you get maybe a 6" or 8" dobsonian, and start out visual. and you can get a nice webcam later on, when your ready.

have a look at the dobs here:
bintel
andrew communications

Jarrod
Old 17-11-2007, 08:58 PM
callingrohit (Vivek)
enthusiastic newbie

Hello everyone,Thank you all for your comments and for the links.I checked Andrews communications and Bintel. Could you please tell me if this Dobsonian telescope is good enough or not ?From Andrews communication -> Guan Sheng GS-680 8" 200mm x 1200mm | Limited version in stock Super low price $299.00 AUD !From Bintel -> Bintel BT-152 06" Dobsonian AUD $ 399.00Would I need to buy a seperate mount for this telescope to be able to use it ? If thats the case as per my budget I would have to choose the Guan Sheng dobs but are they good ??? Please recommend....Also, do the dobs come with drive motors for RA & DEC or do I need to check with the storeand buy them seperately. I think for AUD $ 299.00, a 8" dob sounds 1000 times better than the powerseeker 127 EQ & skywatcher 130 EQ2 available at the same cost....You guys saved me from wasting my precious savings....i'll be waiting for your replies. you guys rock.....I'll also join ASSA and maybe go to one of their public viewing nights. thanksvivek
Old 17-11-2007, 09:29 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

You are probably better with the andrews deluxe version (i think its $50 dearer)- the focuser is a lot smoother - as for the mount the dobs sit on a couple of rollers on a base with teflon that you just push/shove to move it into place. You could mount the OTA (optical tube) on an eq5/6 later on which you could be motorised and use for some tracking - by using the webcam to take pics/avi's on the moon and planets. just hook the webcam up to the focuser. bintel is slightly dearer but I have found there service top notch - depends where you live (sorry adelaide) you will have to pay post no matter what. both andrews & bintel dobs are made by guan sheng (GSO) - they gather a lot of light for the money - lot more than the 5" you were thinking about
Old 17-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Astro78
Tripping in Space

Hey mate,

6 months in and far far from being an expert, so take that on board 1st.

Nearly a month ago now managed to grab an 8 inch newt on an EQ5 mount for a bargain, second hand. Sure the mirror could use a re-coat and it needed a careful clean and collimation - but for the money it's a steel.

Point being there is some great 2nd hand gear around. Personally found the astronomy community to be highly honest and helpful when buying off them too.

BTW unless a matter of convenience I'd almost guarantee you'll backbench the 127mm for a 200 very shortly. The difference between our 114mm and 200mm is nothing short of staggering!
Old 17-11-2007, 09:43 PM
callingrohit (Vivek)
enthusiastic newbie

Hi daniel,thanks for the reply. The deluxe version is $100 dearer than the limited version and the only difference between the two is Crayford style focuser. The Guan Sheng CRAYFORD style 2" 10:1 micro-focusers - Newtonian reflector type (230mm) is for $99 (on Andrews site) and hence the $100 increase in the deluxe version. In regards to the mount, well that would be surely in future because i searched in other posts and everybody recommended the one you suggest - EQ5/6 which are for approx $ 2000 and i'm 110% sure I can't include in my budget unless the last zero drops out... But I was just wondering in regards to astrophotography, that if I use a CCD webcam like the ToUcam or the Neximage (the 8" dob at andrews comes with a 2" to 1.25" adaptor) or even my Canon EOS 400D with the appropriate adapters, can't i still photograph the planets or constellations. i'm not sure if DSO's will be possible as no tracking exists on the 8" dob.thanksVivek
Old 17-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Solanum

Quote:
Originally Posted by callingrohit View Post
Hi daniel,thanks for the reply. The deluxe version is $100 dearer than the limited version and the only difference between the two is Crayford style focuser. The Guan Sheng CRAYFORD style 2" 10:1 micro-focusers - Newtonian reflector type (230mm) is for $99 (on Andrews site) and hence the $100 increase in the deluxe version. In regards to the mount, well that would be surely in future because i searched in other posts and everybody recommended the one you suggest - EQ5/6 which are for approx $ 2000 and i'm 110% sure I can't include in my budget unless the last zero drops out... But I was just wondering in regards to astrophotography, that if I use a CCD webcam like the ToUcam or the Neximage (the 8" dob at andrews comes with a 2" to 1.25" adaptor) or even my Canon EOS 400D with the appropriate adapters, can't i still photograph the planets or constellations. i'm not sure if DSO's will be possible as no tracking exists on the 8" dob.thanksVivek
Having gone through this a few months ago....

Firstly, when you buy the dob it will be for visual observing, not imaging, the dob mount is not easily driven (I'll ignore equatorial platforms for the moment) and the only photography you can really do is shots of the moon. Everything you view through the dob will drift across the eye and so only short exposures work and thus only the moon can realistically be photographed.

Secondly, I've experimented a fair bit with my 350D and the problem with the dobs is that you don't have enough travel in the focuser to get the camera to focus. The only way you can do it without modifying the scope is to use a barlow lens, which also increases the magnification meaning you can't get the entire moon onto the frame of the camera.

Thirdly, the 10:1 Crayford focuser is well worth the extra. I think you also get a right angle finder rather than straight through with the deluxe model and that is also a great help with a dob. There may be a difference in eyepieces too?

Fourthly, we all start off wanting to do photography, but it is hard and it is expensive. At the moment I have found myself very happy with visual observing only. The optical tube is the major cost of the dob and that can be mounted as you've seen, on a driven equatorial mount in the future so you are losing nothing by getting the dob for now.
Old 17-11-2007, 10:16 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

DSO's are definately not possible with a Dob unless you want trailing stars in the image.

With a Dob, you can wack in a webcam like a ToUcam and get pretty good Planet and Moon images almost straight away.

How I started with my ToUcam was to have the object (the Moon for example) drift across the Field of View in my 12" dob. There was enough info in that drifting video to stack it and get good results.

DSO's definately need tracking and any DSO over about 20 seconds really should be Guided as well.

Astrophotography is a steep long learning curve, but geez it's fun
Old 17-11-2007, 10:19 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

You won't be able to photo dso's(no tracking accuracy) nor the constellations (because your FOV (field of view) will be way to small to capture a constellation. You could try afocal by butting camera up to the focuser - which might get you an ok shot of the moon or one of the big planets (jup or sat). That recommendation about secondhand gear is a good one - wait till something comes up on this site or astrobuysell.com/au - until then get to one of the sydney observing sessions one of the astro clubs run and ask for a view thru some scopes. or else just go out and buy yourself a scope and point it upward. enjoy the decisions
Old 17-11-2007, 10:42 PM
callingrohit (Vivek)
enthusiastic newbie

thank you all for the invaluable information you have provided to me. Buying a second-hand scope is a good suggestion but I don't think the inside me is going to wait for that long. I may jump on to order the GS-680 8" dob from Andrews on Monday morning at around 8:59:59 am....
Just one last question before you ban me from this forum for asking atleast 2-3 questions in each of my post, but how can one know if collimation is required or not when I first view through my dob? Should I be ordering the collimator too from Andrews ?? (geez i have asked another 2 questions ... sorry.....
Old 17-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I don't own a newt but it will need collimating. Some sort of collimater is a must. They can be very simple from a 35mm film canister up to expensive lasers.
Old 17-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Astro78
Tripping in Space

If maximizing the performance is important to you, buy yourself a collimator(!), and a laser at that - if your prepared to make a jig and ensure it itself is collimated.

The standard rack and pinion focuser on our Newt is 'crap house' (not yet seen swearing here so wont take the plunge). Can't comment on the Crayford other than need one badly!
Old 17-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Astrolabe

Welcome to Iceinspace

I will strongly recommend to you that before you spend any money on astrogear, you read through either of the two references listed below. They will give you an excellent introduction to astronomy, astrogear and astrophotography. About four years ago I was in your position, and I read more than once the first reference listed below and having followed their unbiased advice, I have spent in excess of twenty thousand dollars in astrogear inclusive of books and maps. I do not regret any purchase I made. By the way the astrogear I bought does not include any cameras or mounts suitable for astrophotography. It is my view that you first learn what is out there to see, what the objects look like and then you decide what to photograph and what not.

My opinion may be biased as I am not very interested in astrophotography yet, but I am very appreciative and thankfull to all astrophotographers for their excellent efforts and photographs.

The references are:
1. The backyard astronomer's guide, by T. Dickinson and A. Dyer,Revised edition, Firefly book publishers.
2. Star Ware: The amateur Astronomer's guide to choosing, buying,and using telescopes and accessories 4th edition by Philip S. Harrington,

Best of luck regardless of what you decide to do, I am sure that you will enjoy astronomy.

George (astrolabe)
Old 21-11-2007, 02:06 AM
callingrohit (Vivek)
enthusiastic newbie

Celestron Vs Skywatcher - ****GSO is the WINNER****

hello all,I finally purchased the 8" GSO Dob mount from www.Telescopes-Astronomy.com.au. Matthew is an expert and gave me a lot of info and various configuration on my first phone call. Never in a hurry to sell anything, lets the buyer make their decision at ease.... i would highly recommend him.The dob was delievered today and by the time I finished assembling it, the sky was all cloudy.....damn rains......so hopefully, I'll get a chance to check out my dob-scope tomorrow....and I really hope I'm able to see some nebulosity of the orion ....well something....Moon is the best....i won't miss that for sure.....thank you for all your comments and views. You saved me from the pains of regret if I would have purchased the 4.5" powerseeker....i got a 8" one in almost the same price...wow-veeeee .....ThanksVivek
Old 21-11-2007, 08:41 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

we also should have told you any big new astro purchase is a certainty for bad weather in the days proceeding the delivery, sorry!