Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-07-2014, 09:24 AM
jwoody (Jeremy)

PreciseParts USA, is there an Australian alternative?

Hello all
I am wanting an adapter for my Tak FSQ85EDX to go from the reducer to my QHY8pro. PreciseParts in the U.S will make said adapter but does anyone know of an Australian alternative?
Thanks
Jeremy
Old 20-07-2014, 09:49 AM
frolinmod

They're horrifically expensive and they take a long time. That they're located in the US seems almost trivial by comparison. I doubt this tiny market can stand much competition either.
Old 20-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Larryp (Laurie)

Contact Claude at AEC. He has someone who can make parts
Old 20-07-2014, 09:52 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Yup, member ubique on this very forum. He has made all my parts/adapters, and a good price.

Just design it, give him threads etc and he will make it. Made me a few FSQ adapters, much cheaper than precise parts wanted, let alone a Tak original - I paid $220 for a Tak made FSQ to SBIG adapter, which is nuts!
Old 20-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

The beauty of using PreciseParts is the Build-an-Adapter functionality on their site.

I ordered a part to connect my STL-11000M to the Extender-Q 1.6x.

It got accidentally sent to an old address (paid for via PayPal, and, I didn't notice the address). I got in touch with my old landlord who collected the parcel from the current tenant and sent it to me. It's been lost in the mail system. Australia Post's tracking says it's in transit (since the 30th of June), and, they've started an investigation. I'm not holding my breath. $150 down the drain.

H
Old 20-07-2014, 12:06 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Peter Tan in Hong Kong can also supply custom parts and Takahashi adapters at good prices. While I'm happy with the quality of product I've bought previously, I have been waiting two months and two unanswered emails for the current order... But he is notoriously slow at corresponding.
So if you're patient, a good alternative.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 20-07-2014, 12:47 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Peter Tan tried to make an adaptor for me - too the opportunity to do so when I was buying something else from him and minimise the freight costs. Admittedly it was an unusual thread size, one he hadn't made before, but needless to say it didn't fit. He immediately offered to try cutting me another or refund in full - I took the latter option and ordered from Precise parts.

Have bought several adapters from Precise Parts without any problems. I don't think the cost of the adapters is excessive for what you are getting, but the cost of freight seems out of proportion (this is a common problem from the US)…

DT
Old 20-07-2014, 01:05 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Last Tak part I had Hugh "ubique" make me was a fsq reducer to 2" adapter. Perfect, and cost me $60. He's bay side Brisbane too which makes things easy.

I have also had William Ng in HK make me some exotic stuff as well at good price.
Old 20-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Might have to hit Hugh up, if Australia Post can't find my stuff!

H
Old 21-07-2014, 06:02 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Thanks for the info everyone, I shall get in touch with "ubique". Hope you get your stuff in the post Humayun.
Cheers
Jeremy
Old 23-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

My wife just messaged me, my parcel turned up!!!

It took 1.5 months in total.

It was delivered to my old address on the 26th of June (UPS tracking showed that the tenant took delivery without signature). My ex-landlord picked it up a couple of days later and sent it on the 30th of June. It hadn't arrived after 2 weeks, so, I had to get him to request a missing parcel investigation. That was done on the 14th. And, today, it turned up.

I can now image at 850mm at f/8 on the FSQ-106N.

H
Old 23-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Paul Haese

I have spent a small fortune on Adapters over the years with PreciseParts. While relatively expensive their gear is very precise and you don't have to tell them all about the threads etc. They also stand by their work. All but one adapter has worked straight out of the box. Recently I had an adapter that would not thread on properly. They asked me to send it back and I did that. It came back without any charge at all and it worked like a dream. So you get good service and quality. That more than makes up for the somewhat expensive aspect to getting their adapters.

Locally I would not really trust anyone to produce the same level of expertise. Just my opinion but I understand the cost issue.