Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2023, 11:42 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

Rokinon 35mm focus issues

https://i.postimg.cc/xj6BKLST/LP-DS-...-9544x2912.jpg

This is a panorama done with 4 stacks of 10 second frames at f2 (or f2.8 I can't remember) ISO 1600. The lens is a 35mm Rokinon f1.4 but I can not achieve infinity focus at f1.4. Sadly I purchased the lens used and the seller lied about the focus capabilities and told me I had to do something in live view which my the D80 DIDN'T have. I could neither confirm it was accurate nor deny it to demand a return and refund on eBay when I purchased it.

As for live view, the Nikon D810 is bloody HORRIBLE in the dark. No matter what I do I get nothing more than what I'd normally associate with video noise (at the end of any VHS tape). It's fine in daylight but at night pointing at the stars. Throw in poor sight, a small review screen and everything is ALWAYS out of focus in the dark.

I have found a fix for my Rokinon 14mm (which was replaced at new for the same problem), a fix for the 85mm online (which I haven't tried the lens in the dark) but I CAN NOT find a fix for the 35mm.

Can anyone give me any tips or point me in the right direction (other than laser surgery I can't afford, LOL)?

Yes, I've considered connecting an Android tablet as a review screen but even that's too small for my crappy sight. I usually take test shots, run inside and review them on my 27" computer monitor or 65" TV, run back out and make tiny changes but that becomes a LOT of time when I'm restricted with street lighting as to where in my back yard I can capture the Milky Way from.
Winter is too cold and my lenses ice up (I have heater bands, maybe it's me that ices up) summer there's too many mosquitoes which bite my son (not me) but he is my focus aid when I can get him out there.

Last edited by Leo.G; 10-09-2023 at 04:57 PM.