Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-12-2022, 03:12 PM
John K

Excessive Noise Issue with 1600mm during last capture

Hi everyone and Merry Xmas!

I have been using a 1600mm camera for many years with no inherent problems using a CDK 10" telescope. It's produced very fine images which are generally low noise.

However, for a second time, I have obtained images which are very noisy, especially in the RGB channels, most recently on M78. Although the nights were warmer, I did not think they were that warm, and I have not changed any setting with the camera (-20 degrees temp, 75 gain, 180" second exposures). The only other thing is that I have left the dew heater on.

Have tried stacking different darks to see if this was the cause and this has not made a difference.

As per the attached images, compared to the Cone Nebula, you can clearly see that the images are very noisy.

Anyone else experiencing this and the cause? Is it simply a function of ambient temperature being high as the nights were warm and I left the dew heater strap on?

Have a safe Xmas everyone!

John K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ASI1600NoiseIssue2.jpg)
179.9 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (ASI1600NoiseIssue.jpg)
143.4 KB35 views