Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

M11 Wild Duck Cluster - 1st LRGB with Orion SS G3 CCD

M11, the Wild Duck Cluster in Scutum. A compact, rich galactic cluster containing almost 3,000 stars in an area of 13 arcminutes, almost giving the appearance of a loose globular cluster. One can make out a flying V shape that that looks, to some eyes, like a flock of ducks. About 6,200 light years away.

This is the first LRGB composite I've taken with my Orion StarShoot G3 CCD camera (http://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarS...a/p/101473.uts). I bought this to get my feet wet in mono imaging, before moving to something grander. Overall, it's a nice little low-cost unit and easy to use (and will be a fine autoguider in its later life!).

I've attached a lightly and more heavily stretched version.

This image was something done at the end of a long night spent mostly figuring out how to optimise my use of AstroTortilla plate solving and getting Metaguide up and running with my NexImage 5. So these subs were guided, albeit imperfectly because I still need to keep tweaking the settings.

Basic capture/composite details:
L: 10 x 2 min, no binning
R: 10 x 1 min, 2x2 binning
G: 10 x 1 min, 2x2 binning
B: 10 x 1 min, 2x2 binning

Astrograph was an Orion ED80T CF with TeleVue 0.8 FR/FF, on an AZ-EQ6 mount. Darks used to create a bad pixel map, flats taken with a light box. All capture + pre-proc done in Nebulosity, post-proc in StarTools. Full equipment and acquisition details on Astrobin: http://www.astrobin.com/108932/

I plan to work some more on the processing during another cloudy night and see if I can eek out some improvements (e.g. giving it a stronger stretch - this brings out a lot more stars, but was creating some problems with the background, so needs work) -- suggestions welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M11LRGB_Amar.jpg)
176.5 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (M11LRGB_Amar_Str.jpg)
190.2 KB60 views

Last edited by Amaranthus; 23-07-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 23-07-2014, 01:46 PM
LightningNZ (Cam)

Hi Barry,

Good effort there, such a pretty cluster. Look like focus might not have been bang-on the stars appear as definite discs in the close-up.

Can you make any comment on how well the scope and FR/FF would go with a Canon 6D? A friend of mine is contemplating getting the same scope to go with his 6D.

Cheers,
Cam
Old 23-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Seeing was not great, which made it hard to get a good focus. But also, I was rushing after a night of software-driven angst, so I admit to not taking as much time as I might have otherwise on focus, esp on the RGB channels!

The ED80T CF should work well with the Canon 6D, it has a robust 2" Crayford focuser with a focus lock, and can hold a fair chunk of weight.
Old 23-07-2014, 07:28 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

A good rendition of the Duck Barry. I think I prefer the less stretched version, it shows more colour.

A good start to many fine images I expect.