Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-02-2013, 06:57 PM
jl1615 (John L)

Visiting Sydney in April

I'm visiting Sydney the first week in April, and being from the US, I'd naturally like to do some stargazing in the southern skies. The timing is a bit off and most of the star parties are the day I leave, Saturday the 6th. I'm looking for suggestions for alternatives, anyone going out Easter weekend, places to rent a scope, places to just do some binocular viewing, etc. I'm completely free Easter Sunday and Monday (31/3 and 1/4).

My scope is an 8" dob, a wee bit unwieldy to bring on the trip, but I'm having some thoughts that I might need an ED80 with a lightweight tripod, yeah. More realistically, I'll just bring my binos.

I'm thinking of heading over to Katoomba, with its easy access by train and plenty to do during the day. A little less than ideal to wander into the biggest town in the area, I suppose.

Any suggestions are welcome,

John L
Old 27-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Barrykgerdes

That week end is rather poor because of the moon and there is nothing scheduled over Easter

However if you can be here by 27th March (2 days before Easter) may I suggest that you come to the ASNSW astro imaging meeting at Epping. There you will meet up with people who may have some activities planned.

Barry
Old 27-02-2013, 05:29 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

ASNSW Crago is open on the 6th April, you will need a car, but it is just on the outskirts of the metro area near North Richmond. They have a 16" in the dome.

Check www.asnsw.com for more details and email the site manager for more info.
Old 27-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Wavytone

Hi John,

Well yup, full moon isn't a great time to go stargazing so you're going to miss on an awful lot. There's a list of targets for you in another thread:http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=75871

Leave the scope - just bring:

a) your binocs,
b) a decent torch so you can see where you're walking in the dark, and
c) an iPhone or iPad loaded with some astro software that will show you where to look for the pretty things, and what you're looking at.

Katoomba is a fairly big town and has too many lights to see much at night. What's worse, the lookouts at the edge of the national park are floodlit at night, so its a really lousy choice.

Better choices - since you're travelling light with nothing heavy:

1. Leura (one stop before Katoomba). While there is still light take the cliff walk heading west to one of the lookouts: there are many rough foot-tracks but you MUST be with someone who knows the way as you're on the edge of some serious cliffs. The view from these is stunning and dark at night. I'd suggest the Elysian Rock (short walk from Gordon Falls carpark) or Sublime Point Lookout. From the station its about a 30 minute walk to Gordon Falls and there is a local bus though I have no idea what the timetable is.

2. If going by car, after passing through Bullaburra turn left into Tableland Road (signposted "Kings Tableland"). Follow this south and turn right (west) into Hordern Road, follow this to the end. This puts you in the national park at the edge of a plateau overlooking the Jamison valley. At the end of Hordern Rd turn left (dirt road) and head south a couple of hundred metres, there you will find a huge level sandstone slab, great spot for a late evening picnic. Dark and no lights.

3. Hargraves Lookout, west of Blackheath. Follow signs to Shipley Plateau. This site is the furthest west in the blue mountains and high at 1100 metres, cliffs on 3 sides mean it is very exposed with great horizons - but it's cold at night. If you have a really spectacular afternoon with no wind, this is the one I'd head for.

In any case I'd suggest plan on dinner in the mountains and make sure you arrive at the chosen site before dark. You will want a warm jacket and a beanie, and a thermos of coffee.

Ordinarily I'd volunteer but this Easter I'll be paragliding in the Victorian alps.

Last edited by Wavytone; 27-02-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 28-02-2013, 01:17 PM
jl1615 (John L)

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. I know the timing isn't great, but my schedule is fixed. I'm an evening observer anyway, often with my son, so I didn't make too much of the moon phase, but I more than understand not heading for a dark site that weekend. On my first trip down under, though, I have to make whatever attempt I can, so I thought I could at least get out of Sydney.

I finally read the Southern Hemisphere chapter of Turn Left at Orion (it was too depressing to read before now), and it looks like there's some good stuff for binos this time of year. I'll have to play around with Stellarium a bit, too.

John L
Old 28-02-2013, 05:50 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi John,

There is another option in the Blue Mountains. Leura Golf Club is a short taxi ride from Leura train station. I've used a scope on their course one night I stayed up there. Did it on the sly, but a lovely place.

Drop them an email explaining your intentions. They may be able to accommodate you on one of their fairways.

Like Wavy said, it can get cold up there, so go prepared.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 PM
jl1615 (John L)

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I've decided to head to Leura and stay at a B&B on the golf course for two nights. I can get down to Sublime Lookout easily, the golf course as a backup, and maybe drive over to Hordern Road for the second night if I want to try for something a little darker. I checked out the sandstone slab on Google Maps (which is very cool to be able to do, really, they even have Street View down the dirt road!).

The cliffs remind me of the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland (700 ft to the ocean). You know you're not in America when there's no fence, and only a small pictorial sign saying don't fall off.

I'll let you you guys know how it goes. May the weather gods cooperate for at least one night.

John L
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Wavytone

Hey that sounds nice ! Leura is a garden town, and the autumn colours will be starting; a nice place to walk.